Teenage Engineering Pocket operator modular system

I am worried about how flimsy this will be. Will it get easily bent out of shape and eventually snap.

Oh please no.

Pretty small!

At that size maybe something like plankton ants might be another unit to weigh up? No sequencer and less complex envelopes but has built in midi>CV + more oscs, more lfos, logic ā€¦same price. Semi-modular but thatā€™s mostly potatoe/potahtoe for meā€¦

If i was looking for something like this Iā€™d probably grab the TE (battery and speaker is a nice touch on something so small) but itā€™s interesting to myself that I was initially blown away by the price. Itā€™s competitive for sure but not ā€˜insanelyā€™ cheap in comparison to alternatives. Marketingā€™s a funny thingā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m not really clear on what the problem is with the TE stuff - it isnā€™t aimed at being the last word in eurorack sophistication ā€œpocket operator modularā€ is the clue here, small battery powered, good price point, take anywhere, these seem to be the main marketing terms being used.

So with that in mind the limitations of the modules, compact size, and overall design and construction seem quite well aligned to what would be expected, given that the pocket operator brand is itself based around these concepts.

That said of course I would be the last to complain if they introduced some digital stuff from their back catalog in this modular form, but who is to say they wonā€™t eventually? In fact by branding it pocket operator leads me to believe that they most likely will do something.

They know what they are doing, the OP-1, PO range and OP-Z often sell out because they canā€™t keep up with the demand, so they must be doing something right. The 400 set seems to have sold out now too, but it will become available to buy again once they are ready, you can bet on it.

8 Likes

I think this pic gives quite a good idea of the size/scale:

13 Likes

kind of looks like a modern take on arp2600

3 Likes

that looks killer

Iā€™m interested in the open rack mentioned in the manual/press that someone posted here. An open rack that I can just buy the modules I want and hopefully some kind of midi 2 cv is one of those modules. DT + rack of mini TE modules would be killer. Hope they make some really cool ones too, like fx module (spring, cow & filter drive from OP1 would be must haves for me). Also a po32 drum module and maybe some of the synth engines from OP1? Or even the samplerā€¦ so many cool possibilities

2 Likes

I get the discussion back and forth on the proā€™s and conā€™s of this and Iā€™m probably on the fence right now but the one thing that I thinkā€™s a bit missing just now are audio demos. Is there anything other than the 3 short snippets at their site?

That said, the keyboard is looking very interesting even if you donā€™t want to dive into this ecosystem.

2 Likes

Seems the keyboard canā€™t be powered with a PSU, itā€™s batteries-only. To me, that limits its usefulness. Something like Arturia Keystep is cheaper and does more.

The already ā€œsold outā€ system 400 seems it could be fun - though it would be nice to see and hear some demos. The filter module looks a bit weird to me - there are two inputs labeled ā€œlevelā€ but itā€™s not clear what level they change. Midi input would have been nice too.

Also, is there really no headphone output in the synth at all? That seems like a weird omission.

I am loving this modular system from TE! And I think the price point is fine for what youā€™re getting. Cool thing is that, since they look so damn cool, I can just use them as interactive art decorations around the house.

Yeah, I get that but I tend to use rechargeable batteries a lot. Even for stuff where I have power adapters because it cuts down on cable clutter. I think there is some crossover with the keystep but also some unique aspects tooā€¦ presumably this will be covered in the expected deluge of NAMM videos.

I wonder what other sorts of add-ons theyā€™ll sell besides this cable organizer:

3 Likes

No idea whether Iā€™m going to want this or not, but I do think the design is 100% bad ass. Probably my favorite looking synth in quite awhile, which makes me really want to love it.

5 Likes

I like the idea of using both the 400ā€™s sequencer, and the 16ā€™s sequencer for paraphonic use or just getting weird sequencing modulation.

Best looking $548 modular setup Iā€™ve seen.

5 Likes

Looks so good, ordered them all but probably just keep the 400 and 16. Such an inspiring looking instrument.

2 Likes

And it is only a start.

Like the PO 1X series, Rhythm, Factory, Sub.

po%201X

Look at how far theyā€™ve managed to go from there.

1 Like

I can understand why theyā€™d use the ā€˜pocketā€™ branding but seriously ,thereā€™s nothing in common between the modular and operators except they use batteries and made by t.e

Unless they release an lcd screen with barely understandable dancing icons and a digital fx module with 15 types and glitch.

Why not pocket operator - Z , call this op-modular
Their branding is messed up. Unless someone has massive pockets

Iā€™m not sure this is going to be a hit , Iā€™d rather go eurorack ā€¦ much more flexible and easier to resell too.

1 Like

Itā€™s made for these:

8 Likes

People who think they in Manchester around 1990 ?

2 Likes