Teenage Engineering Pocket operator modular system

400 system sold out. Grab a 170 while you still can!

3minutes in, love it already. Great stuff, thanks for sharing here.

1 Like

They have this disclaimer: ā€THE MODULES HAVE NO REVERSE POLARITY PROTECTION. MAKE SURE TO WIRE THINGS CORRECTLY TO AVOID DAMAGING THE UNIT AND VOID WARRANTY!ā€

So how easy is it to break this thing? If I patch things in wrong way?

Just the same as Euro I think right? Always line up the red stripe on the power strip when installing modules. Thatā€™s not a negative thing about the TE rack, itā€™s a pretty standard warning elsewhere too if I understand correctly?

He sure knows his stuff, but damn those LEDs look bright :sunglasses: Nice to see acid returning to Africa, full circle, love it.

2 Likes

Most modern Eurorack modules have protection against plugging in power incorrectly. Itā€™s not a huge deal, but TE has cheapened out a bit on this IMHO.

1 Like

Yes this is talking about power supply connection, not patching. And yes a lot of euro modules suffer from this problem - the most annoying thing about it is that it is trivial for product dedigners to protect from reverse voltage, and costs pennies to do, yet it is still a thing.

6 Likes

For me the keyboard seems the greatest of interest. Low cost for something that appears to be Pressure Points +

1 Like

yes, I know, so lets see with what cases for the 2u modules they will come up ā€¦ and ready made faceplates would be also nice ā€¦ and - last but not least ā€” adapters for the eurorack bus. :hugs:

They keyboard is the one thing that really interests me. Lots of functionality for not much more than the price of an sq-1 (which also isnā€™t bad).

Ah looked like it just folded over

Actually after looking in the manual there is pwm on the square and FM input on saw and sine.

3 Likes

man, I will so hack to use bananas

1 Like

Oh for god sakeā€¦

Itā€™s things like this and the korg modular make me feel modular is now a trend not just a method of synthesis.

1 Like

Not sure I fully comprehend your post but I am under no illusion as to what the capabilities of modular synthesis are.

My reference is in relation to the sudden ā€œmarketing call to actionā€ many companies seem to be adopting by adopting modular (in some cases halfheartedly) to merely seem like they are following current trends, not what people actually want/need

Iā€™m not sure that people saying that this doesnā€™t tick the right boxes for them for what they want out of modular is any reason to question their validation?

In any case, good to see fm and pwm on the oscs. Didnā€™t spot that before.

Overall im just not the target market on this one. Itā€™s good value and beautiful design but functionality wise its just a bit on the ā€˜standard issueā€™ side for my current leanings. Also struggling to envisage how small/fiddly itā€™s going to feel in use. Couldnā€™t find measurements and no proper videos out there yet. 2u per module and all those little knobs might get pretty hairy in busy patches? Possibly part of its charm though and sure itā€™ll sell well.

As the 400 is basically a closed system Iā€™d have liked to see TE take advantage of that and take some cues from things like Field Kit Fx with some internal cv bussing options and other trickery etc. Will keep an eye on where TE take it in future.

Listened to the sound recordings on the te website again earlier and seemed to hear some hum/hiss? But could have just been part of the patch, only listening on phone speakers.

Kind of silly that the preorder for 400 is already ā€sold outā€. Does that mean they are not going to make more? Why else wouldnā€™t they accept more orders for the waiting list?

170 otoh seems very expensive for what you get.

Hype manoeuvre :wink:

1 Like

Thanks. Missed those before. 400 reads as ā€˜305ā€™ up. Thatā€™s millimetres right? Be interesting to see how it looks in use when fully patched.

I remember from having a Computer desk once Out of folded Metal, that it was making clangy noise while using it. Didnt Like that. Not Sure If this also might ne the Case Hereā€¦each time you clang Patch clang Something clang clingā€¦