Teenage Engineering PO-32 / Microtonic

Picked up a PO-32 a few months ago but only started playing with it this past weekend. What instigated it was a Cissy Strut jam thread on another forum. I realize its impossible to replicate Ziggy Modeliste’s drumming in a drum machine, nor is it necessarily desirable to try too hard, but I wanted to see if I could set something up that channeled just a wee bit of that New Orleans groove.

Been having a lot of fun with it.

Love Microtonic, apparently they are announcing something new in the next couple of weeks, looking forward to it.

1 Like

this guy really shines on the PO 32

Perplex On does some serious stuff with small devices and IOS Music.

4 Likes

Microtonic is a pretty cool alternative to a Nord Drum in VST form.
It sounds great.

This thread has helped put me put off buying Microtonic for a while - I got my PO-32 on sale, separate from the PO-32 + Microtonic bundle. Quite a few kits and patterns posted already:

See above link

Your post was banished for transgressing guidelines - please re-read these and don’t encourage or discuss matters relating (in any way) to piracy etc. Thanks

https://www.elektronauts.com/faq

4 Likes

I am very impressed by the PO 32. I had to buy it separately from the VST, but a 200€ drum machine with synthesized voices and a separate designer VST is still something I consider a bargain.

On the plus side: drum synthesis, p-locks, automation, pattern chaining

On the negative: the hardware is mono, the voices have no panning and not even a means to set volume independently once the sounds are within the PO 32.

Here is my first track that uses the hardware:

3 Likes

Hi,

the Monologue played the “melodic” bass line and the arpeggio, the PO32 provided one bass note. I could not resit to use both, they are very recend additions to my setup.

K

Hi. Ok I finally bought all Metal POs!
2x70€ for PO32 and PO35 with pro cases, second hand as new, couldn’t resist.
I still have my PO33 with brocken screen, it was a good excuse to buy another PO for master tempo! :slight_smile:

Question concerning PO32 tuning, +40 seems to correspond to 1 octave. Any more infos?
Does Microtonic can change the pitch range?
The nice guy who sold me PO32/35 can sell me it’s licence. Hesitating a bit…

Other question, where to get these minijacks?

isnt that going to put an awful lot of stress to the connectors though? I’d not risk using those, prefer 30 cm aux cables…

1 Like

It is actually not easy to find them as there is no unique name for it - search for pictures helps. But you can get them for instance here: http://www.krs-shop.de/3-5-mm-klinken-adapter-kl.html.

2 Likes

Just registered Microtonic and tested a trick :
I assigned 101 semitones range to morph in order to plock semitones only with 0-100 morph values. Seems to work : 4 voices synth :slight_smile:.
55hz > 18794,5hz (A0>D9 IIRC)

The boring thing is that 55hz seems to be with 50 pitch value. It would be easier with 0 or 100, I’ll try to shift to the corresponding frequencies.

2 Likes

A description of Fx by Magnus!
I was searching infos on Squash and Punch.
I wish Megamorph could be without pitch!

3 Likes

has anyone here had the problem that the po-32 is not reacting to any key presses when in stand-by mode? once my po-32 enters stand-by mode by being left idle for a few minutes, it doesn’t react to any input, although the graphics on the screen are still active. the only way to “turn it on” again is to remove the batteries and insert them again :frowning:

Just saw this cool project on tindie to convert midi to pocket operator key presses. Should go pretty well with the latter PO’s:

8 Likes

Whaaaaaaaaaaat!

take my money

Sounds very interesting but how is it plugged / soldered?

The only thing I could think of would be bad batteries in terms of a fixable thing. I was using some cheap ones in my tonic and it had all sorts of problems until I upgraded to some better quality batteries.