Teenage Engineering PO-32 / Microtonic

Don’t feed it after midnight though!

3 Likes

I’ve filled my PO32 with 16 pattns that I consider being “perfect” as they are. Now what? Do I dump them to an audio file and start from scratch… or do I buy a new PO32? Having two might be a good idea, one for WIP pattns/sounds and one for “performance” which only gets data dumps for playing… The PO32 is a curious one, haven’t seen a single unit of these on the 2ndhand market yet.

2 Likes

utonic is just VA and FM though right? Not saying it’s not great, just that it doesn’t do the fun PM stuff the Nord does.

Yeah nothing is as good as the ND2 but the utonic is as close as it gets in a plugin as far as I have found, and I’ve looked pretty hard :totes:

1 Like

I really love the workflow of the PO32 !

I’d say sample your patterns, of course backup everything, and start from scratch…

Have you used Patternarium ?
You can go pretty fast between finding a cool pattern, directly copying it in the web browser, pasting in Microtonic, tweak what needs to be, and load it in PO32 !
I find it pretty interesting to identify unknown sweet spots…

2 Likes

I know I could sample the patterns, but they’re so fun to “perform” with the mutes and punch in fx

Yes indeed.

As you can backup your patterns, though, it’s easy to recall so you can come back to a previous project.
Thing I was missing from the whole PO and Volca range !

problem is, I am constantly away from the computer. I reckon I need to start recording / archiving datadumps into my iPad or something…

Record it into your phone. I use the voice memo app on iPhone, works okay with the phone’s mic. Play it back to PO-32 to make sure it is okay.

1 Like

easier said than done

ohh wait, it does have a voice recorder on it! I just need to buy a memorycard :diddly:

4 Likes

Wonder if you could record a voice message to yourself, but maybe not high def enough.

no, I am pretty sure the quality will be sufficient, I just need to get the memory card. This is the 2017 “reboot” nokia dumbphone after all.

I’m still looking for that smileyface thing that used to be inside of these things! So far haven’t found it… maybe the new nokia peeps forgot to add it :wink:

I sync my PO-32 using A4’s CV track and have A4 synced to DAW using Overbridge. You can record the output from the PO-32 with the inputs of A4. Record all your patterns that way and you can build an arrangement.

The other really awesome thing you can do is backup your sounds + patterns using the transfer features.

I plug in my zoom recorder (or if you’re in a quiet space you can even use the memo recorder on your iphone lol) but ya plug the output of PO-32 to the input on your recorder and hold WRITE+SOUND. If you hold it for long it will transfer all sounds one by one as well as pattern. You can later restore the sounds + pattern by doing the opposite. Hook the output on your recorder to the input on PO-32 then hold down ACC+SOUND for a long time. It will give you a progress in the LCD by telling you which sound its currently transferring.

Basically this gives PO-32 unlimited space and life. Backup like we used to do to tape or floppy disk in the old days :stuck_out_tongue:

If you want more info just hit me up !

4 Likes

Not about the PO-32, but I finally purchased MicroTonic a couple of weeks ago! I’m loving this plug-in! It sounds SO GOOD! And the Planetarium is brilliant!

4 Likes

Gravity will take hold!

1 Like

Don’t forget to set it up inside a drumrack - if you use Ableton. Here’s a tutorial and you can download the rack.

4 Likes

Yes! Did this! It’s awesome!

I’m still trying to find a way to rig it up for parameter mapping ala Machinedrum- hit a pad and alter that voices parameters from Push 2

Though I reckon all of this will be easier once I get a DT and just do all my mapping from there

That’s the holy grail! I’ve been trying for a long time to get things dialed in with Microtonic and Push 1 and now Push 2. In fact, that’s how I viewed it, as a Machinedrum replacement.

I’ve tried all sorts of max4live devices and nothing has really worked smoothly yet, imo. Still looking. If you find something please let me know! Hoping the developer releases a new version with this functionality in mind. But it’s highly unlikely. Sonic Charge is a very small shop and they have a lot on their plate.

Drop Permut8 in your rack after Microtonic and be prepared to be whisked away to rhythmic sound design paradise. :grin:

1 Like

Oh yes! I LOVE permut8! So far I’ve only dabbled with Bitspeak with Microtonic- and I love it!

But the pattern rearrange ability of Permut8 is definitely something very capable for providing a lot of options

1 Like