Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Doubt it. Sweetwater also aren’t carrying any other sound generating product except for the rick and morty PO so I’m guessing it’s something else. For the record, I got my OPZ in May (so not from the initial run) and have had no extra trigs and encoder issues. It’s worked exactly as advertised and has come with me many a trip to coffee shops, on planes, office, and home use with no issue. As with most products, the vast majority of internet commentary will be reporting issues as opposed to saying “Hey it works!” So I’m saying , “Hey it works!” :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yea, me too no problems at all, and I had an early one (maybe not the first run).

It’s going to be very handy to have the OP-Z around this time of the year, … need to be able to hide sometimes from the overdose of social interaction
:diddly:

It’s a brilliant little box, not least because it is hands down the most capable for its size. Which truly affords stealth use. Going to a wedding of people who annoy you? 2 hours in the jacks with a pint, a vape and an OP-Z makes it a better night out.

My expectations were that TE would be providing far more of these new machines though and converting the app into an app-priced business. 99c for a new bass or new granular device. I’m disappointed they haven’t focused more on this. Or better, providing some sdk type tools so we can make our own.

Slightly disappointed TE haven’t developed the huge potential of the OP-Z far more.

They could ‘easily’ provide a ZOIA like approach. Build anything you like and share it as a new synth/sampler machine. I’d pay $50 for a axoloti-type ide for the OP-Z …

3 Likes

That’s… a really weird conclusion to jump to, especially considering they’re still updating it, and it’s still stocked by many other stores.

Yeah sorry, I really meant that it made me look at this thread again and saw that it’s still being worked on :slight_smile: Also still being sold by TE.

I just thought it was a bit odd, especially because it was sold-out and had a lot of demand on SW. But yes seems to be a TE-wide thing as they don’t stock most of the PO anymore either.

They’ve been updating the op-z almost on a monthly basis for quite a while now. Hats off to TE! Can’t wait to try the new synths and fx later today :relieved:

4 Likes

yea I missed a few updates, fully loaded again. Played for 2 hours last night when family was sleeping :panda:

2 Likes

Did someone manage to get the new synths and fx’s via the mac app?

No but the macOS app has been unusable for me since I recently updated. I get a garbled screen and it’s not a pain in the arse syncing with my MBP. Got the new engines on via my phone though. Plan to give them a whirl later today.

Mine works but puts my MBP in a near-explosion state. And my android phone is so cheap I can’t install the app on it.

I’ve updated the iOS app and the installed the new firmware but can still only see 6 synth engines. No sign of analog or organ.
Anyone else having issues?

you have to check the „configurator“ and manually drop them to the Z.

Cheers… First time I’ve use the configurator.

1 Like

finally got around to installing the new engines and fx. also, first time i’ve used the configurator in the android app. and to my surprise, everything went fine without a single problem :smiley:
the new engines are great. analog sounds really smooth and creamy or can go really lush, especially in combination with the new chorus and reverb. the chorus can warble like there’s no tomorrow, but also go really subtle. the new reverb is simple, but sounds nice. it’s not quite up there with the DN/DT reverb, but everything can be p-locked or modulated by an LFO, which makes it really exciting in comparison to the small Elektrons. my favourite of the new bunch has to be the new FM engine. the green dial switches between 8 different algorithms and the blue dial increases what sounds like a filter or fm envelope amount. p-locking both these parameters is so much fun!

4 Likes

lookin forward to hearing some demos of the new engines et reverb :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

well, i’m not much of a demo guy and not really active on YouTube or anything. nevertheless, here are two quick demos of the new engines for you:

far from comprehensive, of course, but this video shows p-locking the fm engine quite nicely. i mess with some of the reverb dials in the end.

some analog chords with the reverb maxxed out, might be a bit too resonant at points.
sorry for the video being flipped. doing these reminded me, that doing videos is much less of a fun time than just doing music :smiley:
8 Likes

The organ with a hint of reverb is really nice. I do hope 2020 sees TE add a handful more synth/FX engines.

I’ve wiped my OP-Z ready to create with the new ones now though. Looking forward to it.

1 Like

Finally a reverb that sounds like reverb

2 Likes

i just made a very weird discovery and i think it might be a bug.
before the 2 new synth engines were released, i had a piano and a flute sample on plug 9 and 0 of my chord track. this morning i put the new synth engines into those plugs. however, patterns i made previously with the piano and the flute still use those samples. when i push the track button, none of the LEDs blink, which means none of the ten loaded synth plugs is selected. since i can still hear and play the piano and flute samples, they must somehow be stored with the pattern.
the same thing happens on other patterns and other synth tracks.
very weird, but if this is intentional design by the development team, then this is good news. that means that old projects are stored as is, so putting a live set together from previous projects is less likely to be messed up. i doubt that its intentional though.

Still waiting for my defective OP-Z to be returned from Gear4Music, 43 days and counting since they received it, needless to say I’ll never buy anything from them again.

I enquired how much longer it would be and they said it can take 60 days because apparently they would rather send it back to the manufacturer for “repair” and make the customer wait, than exchange it with one of the many units they had in stock at the time.

Why they didn’t just request a credit from the manufacturer for the defective unit - falling out encoders, warped (and misprinted) case and mis-triggering buttons - is pretty stupid IMHO, since it is quite obvious that these issues are manufacturing defects, not user caused.

5 Likes