Teenage Engineering OP-Z

I feel you, mate. I have bad experiences with Gear4Music, too. Won’t be buying from them again.

2 Likes

Prepping my portable setup for a week of travel. I want to continue to do jamuary this year, just for the sake of making it a habit to keep creating.

For the road, I will take my OP-Z, Zoom H5 and Ipad/Iphone.

I just (re)tested using the H5 a multi track audio interface with the ipad and that works great, I can record via the mic(s) and/or inputs at the same time in AUM.

I am going audio out from the OP-Z into the H5 for recording, just wondering how I could get also the midi connection to work between OP-Z and Ipad while also keeping the multitracking H5 audio interface present … :thinking:

OP-Z became also an audio interface, Aggregate device on IOS? :diddly:

Ideas?

Bluetooth MIDI?

1 Like

62 days after returning the faulty OP-Z a replacement arrives, it looks like the yellow encoder is higher - therefore probably going to fall out eventually, also the disk mode doesn’t seem to work, and I can’t update the poorly fitting Oplab module either.

I note that the buttons feel markedly different from the other one, so it seems they have been changed on this version (the old one had the wrongly printed step components).

I beginning to think that Teenage Engineering gear is very poorly QC’d.

The saga continues…

2 Likes

I think I will sell mine soon, even though I like it a lot. In the FB Group, no day goes by without someone reporting encoders popping out, bending units, broken units etc. Can’t be a coincidence.
Mine is fine so far. But for how long? Doesn’t justify 600 euro imo

6 Likes

Yeah it is a great device, let down by really poor construction/materials suitability, I think they got so obsessed with making it small that everything else in the design considerations were secondary.

5 Likes

Yeah, I love so much about this device, especially in its sequencer, but the battery hasn’t worked properly for one day of its life, and it’s unreliability makes it a drag to work with. It’s a shame.

2 Likes

Yeah, even if it were 10-15% bigger, it would still be amazingly small (and possibly have a larger battery). The unit I had only suffered from a little bowing, but not enough to be a nuisance. I ended up selling it due to lack of use, though I really did enjoy it. If it were the only piece of gear I had (or if I had more free time), I would’ve been using it every day. I’m sorry to hear you’re going through all these troubles. I hope it clears up soon.

3 Likes

same same here, no problems with my unit but I don’t use it often, only for travel and last time I was too busy to even bother.

Definitely on its way out here too.

1 Like

it never needed to be thAt small imo.
sure, smaller than op1 - grand.
but that small? - ah here :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Argh! Some good news, some bad:

I managed to get disk mode working by removing OP-Z from device manager then re-connecting and letting windows install it again, the oplab module would still not update though, so I re-downloaded it and for some reason that worked, even though the file size was correct on the first version, so I have no idea why that didn’t work, but hopefully if anyone else has this trouble then it is worth trying this.

But the yellow encoder has fallen out already, and I literally have not even used it yet, all I have done in the 3 hours I have had it is try to get the OP-Z and the module updated. I notice that the module is sticking out a bit and the OP-Z looks warped, and the bottom panel bulges a bit. CRAP!

3 Likes

Got one this week and it has a slight bend and just feels bit rickety but excellent machine.

I’d love to use the unity track but no clue about programming unity animation. Or any animation really lol

Is there a resource for downloading untity animations ?

most people realize that with TE there’s only one big learning curve and that’s -how to make authentic music- and with a question that relies on getting active, a lot of these hate guys tend to bash all that equipment on the lowest level, basically to compensate an image.

meh

1 Like

I definitely think that it is wise to wait on new gear these days, usually after a couple of discrete hardware revisions and numerous firmware updates manufacturers eventually get it right :wink:

4 Likes

doesn’t improve the build quality unfortunately

3 Likes

you won’t treat glass like wood.

OP-Z is a brain, if someone wants to smash some pads, get some squishy pads. don’t know

1 Like

there are so many users reporting issues. you really think it‘s user error?
If so, I will not run into problems, cause I treat it like special brittle glass

1 Like

yep, me too!

great news, I use the OP-Z mostly with a keystep, but will get the launchkey mini mk3 as a new dedicated controller.

selling is not an option, market is saturated with second hand OP-Z’s. I’ll take it on vacation t ill it dies :panda:

the PO’s were and are not my thing really, gave it to the kids play around with… :slight_smile:

Like the Op-Z 10fold better

Like the brand new one I just received, warped case and fallen out encoder…

Or maybe the one which it replaced, which was always kept in a hard case, and used for 40-50 hours tops, no key smashing or rough handling.

3 Likes