Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Finally offloading some patterns for #Jamuary2019. Here’s some 160bpm patterns.

4 Likes

And some 167bpm. Thanks for listening!

1 Like

Fantastic works :slight_smile: Congrat.

1 Like

Thanks man! You can check out the full EP if you like at:

3 Likes

Couldn’t resist anymore, finally got myself an OP-Z. I’ll just be one more user commenting about how pretty baffled I am, regarding the quality of the interface and how deep it is, we all read it numerous times but indeed screen is definitely optional; I actually never used the app so far other than trying it out of curiosity. I was expecting to struggle with learning the pages layout, leds colors, etc, because of the demanding job and kid at home but it all feels very natural to me in the end, easy to navigate and know where you are/what you are doing. Already excited about what could come next in terms of add-ons, synths machines and macros.
I find myself actually pretty excited each time I switch on the OP-Z, knowing there’s a world of patterns variations and subtleties to find while learning the step components combination and tape tricks :ecstatic:

7 Likes

I have an OP-1 and and Organelle - both pretty amazing in their own very particular and peculiar ways.

Would there be added value in getting an OP-Z or am I just being sucked in by all that tiny hands friendly gizmo greatness?

Anyone else have all 3 and if so why?

(I have huge hands)

1 Like

I don’t own an organelle, but have both the op-z and the op-1. I think they are two totally different beasts. The op-z is much closer to the digitakt in terms of sequencing and also a lot of fun. The common ground with the OP-1 is mostly the similar sounding synth engines and the super quick and super fun workflow. But I think it’s much more flexible as you are not restricted to the tape.

1 Like

I have all 3 and honestly, there’s not a ton of overlap, but that could just be me justifying having all 3. The OP1, for me, is a key piece of my ambient tool kit, using samples and running sequences, not the tape so much. I also use it to make lofi beats with samples, which is just a hoot. The OPZ to me is more like a pocket elektron. A portable and deep multi-track sequencer with decent engines and the ability to play samples and interface with other gear. The Organelle is whatever you want it to be, seriously. It fills in as a sound generator, an FX processor or a (semi) complete modular system using ORAC. Again, I mainly use it for ambient, but in different ways than the OP1. Hope that helps.

3 Likes

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Pocket operator modular system

yes this is actually very helpful so thank you! I am really getting into pure data for / with my Organelle at the moment and I love learning more about audio synthesis in this way but all the patching, study and testing (which can be extremely complex as you may know) doesn’t leave as much time for actual music / sound recording creation so I am thinking having another very immediate machine would be a very welcome addition.
I have a Digitakt which is about the most immediate machine I’ve ever owned considering how much you can do with it but I really like the idea of having a very small and very powerful portable machine that isn’t a volca or a pocket operator.
I think you saying the OP-Z is kind of like a ‘pocket Elektron’ to you may have tipped me over the edge :wink:

2 Likes

5 Likes

Pocket Elektron is about the most exciting thing I’ve heard about the OP-Z. F yeah

4 Likes

That OPLAB module, in need! Want it yesterday. :diddly:

1 Like

Midi out would be super useful. But what other modules will they make? Why not just put midi and CV in there from the start? :thinking:

Yeah should have been built in. If they make a sampling module then I’m gonna have to switch out modules every time I wanna flip between cv/Midi and sampling :confused: And no sync’d sampling… TE = oblivious to the obvious. Shame cos they’re exceptional at a lot of the non-obvious…

Agree, but I don’t think they are oblivious to the obvious, they just choose to not incorporate it into their designs, I don’t necessarily see that ethos as integral to their success but I think that it goes somewhat hand-in-hand with their brand/image.

It’s annoying. I’d probably have bought an op-z if they didn’t decide to bypass (or charge additionally for) that stuff… decent connectivity and a screen and I’d have jumped on it. Just my opinion though.

The lack of screen isn’t actually as much of an issue for most operations, the small size and some button placement and button type are actually more of a problem for me, but YMMV.

Yeah same size as op1 and all buttons on top would have been perfect from my POV.

1 Like

Perhaps their reasoning is not everyone would need that module, so why charge those who don’t want it for the connectivity?

Perhaps leaving it out helped them achieve a certain price point / profit margin goal.

6 Likes