Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Yea :grin:. Silly to think that it can only do bleep blop if you can use your own samples on the machinery.

Checked a few of his other videos, the guy can sculpt sound like a ninja!

1 Like

OP-Z Quick Reference.pdf (38.2 KB)

2 Likes
3 Likes

How you finding it?

I like the sequencer a lot. It’s like having a miniature Elektron in your pocket. I haven’t had too much time with it, because of the festivities and our car being sabotaged by a manter (sic!) EDIT: what I meant was a marten, but I like what I’ve seen so far. If TE give it the same kind of support the OP-1 keeps getting, it will only get better and it’s already great to begin with. The UI is cleverly designed and I don’t miss a screen too much so far. Of course I haven’t memorized yet what the colored wheels do in different modes, but in a way it’s similar to the Circuit. They do something and that’s what counts. I’ll have some more time with it over the next few days.

3 Likes

I’m glad you’re enjoying the OP-Z!

What’s a manter?? I hope your car is ok. (I’m picturing like a combination between a mantis shrimp and a manta ray fwiw)

2 Likes

Sorry, my bad. I meant a marten. And thanks for your compassion. It’s not a good time for this to happen.

3 Likes

Oh my. They’re so cute but so bad for cars. I lived a while in the south of Germany and the locals had a million weird tactics and strategies for protecting their parked vehicles. I hope you can get it repaired quickly!

3 Likes

How is the op-z for video? I was looking at critter and guitari etc but this only costs a little bit more and appears like it may be more flexible down the road.

that for sure!

A serious dive into Unity/Videolab will be needed.

I don’t have my Z yet, I guess they are busy at Thomann at the moment. But have been reading the manual + some YT videos also for the Unity side. This guy made a few really useful videos:

You can for example paint in 3D in Tilt Brush and import that into Unity/Videolab - it’s crazy really, but learning curve … and time, time, time … :chart_with_downwards_trend:

1 Like

Oooooo Hoooooo OOOooohhh

2 Likes

I love my op-z so much. So much power in such a small package… incredible.

Only thing that really irks me is the reverb… I know it’s more or less supposed to emulate a spring reverb but damn, can’t make it sound good on drums at all.

Good news if that is the only thing, it’s fixable in an update :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah… but do they want to fix it? That’s another question…

I would pay for a multiple output module instantly.

All fx problems (tastes) solved for ever, also instantly.

1 Like

You would get 4 mono outputs maximum, though. That would be cool nonetheless. But meanwhile, a standard reverb would be awesome.

The two modules I’m waiting for are the oplab one, and a sampling one… don’t really know how that would work with such an interface, but sampling would def be the missing piece for me.

1 Like

I guess that will not happen, OP-1 will get new HW - that’s the sampler from TE. Maybe OP-1 will get a module slot?

Yea, should happen. Sync for all!

Finally was able to have some more quality with mine and had quite a bit of fun. I made some sample chains with the OP-1 drum utility VST in Ableton Live. Also checked out step components. They are sort of a generalization of trig conditions on the Elektron sequencer, but more powerful, because they can be combined. I’d definitely love to see some Elektron/TE cross pollination here. Also, the implementation of mute groups rocks. For a second I even thought this thing transmits audio over USB, unfortunately it was just triggering samples from the drum utility VST via Midi.

2 Likes

I am at work until midnight, … have very minimal stuff to do this time of the year. I crave for my Z!! Please Thomann, send it tomorrow!

1 Like

Same here…

I ordered my OP-Z from Thomann Tuesday a week ago… it took them until Saturday to ship it, but according to the UPS tracking code it hasn’t even reached their facilities yet… not sure what is going on at Thomann :slightly_frowning_face: