Teenage Engineering OP-Z

It said: deliverable from stock dammit, Thomann!

1 Like

It seems like Thomann and UPS had a massive overload the week before Christmas and are still catching up… that’s more or less what I was told on the phone by a Thomann rep.

Indeed, my order says: waiting for shipment… Like they need a boat to come to Berlin :grin:

Well, hopefully soon!

Sync def is crucial, I don’t want to mess with 150 different usb cables to sequence stuff, nor do I want to buy an external usb host.

Sampling could maybe work in a simpler fashion a la po33. Meanwhile, I could still import premade chops… but it’s just not the same.

1 Like

Picked one up from Juno today - so far having lots of fun with tape tricks which are way beyond the gimmick they were on OP-1, sequencable, recordable audio buffer with speed control plus filter - oh my days…

2 Likes

Yeah, plus being able to select which tracks are routed to the tape:

4 Likes

Didn’t know that - thanks for the icing friend :+1:t3:

1 Like

Being able to choose whether or not a track is including in the tape track is brilliant. I couldn’t find out how to do this in the online manual but it seems like holding shift while in the tape track gives yellow lights on the track to indicate which tracks are included in the tape buffer. What would be super neat if being able to recording change in that mid sequence.

Woops…

7 Likes

Received my OP-Z today, it is slightly bent/warped right out of the box… does anyone else experience this?

Mine looks ok. I did read someone having something similar on Operator1.com though. The finish on the back isn’t a uniform grey. Hard to explain, it has some very mild “shiny” stripes. It’s probably from hope the plastic was moulded. Nothing major though or reason enough to return.

I have a question for you happy OP-Z owners as i think about getting one maybe.
I read that the OP-Z’s synth engines aren’t as complex as the OP-1’s (ex-owner here) which weren’t too complex either imo. So i really like the tape tricks that i heard from the OP-Z but i fear that after a while all my music made with a OP-Z will sound the same soundwise because you can only load in a limited amount of sounds and the stock sounds are also limited.
What i heard from demo videos sounds pretty samey to me soundwise. So what do you think?

I think
A) you can use samples to sound however you like to infinity and beyond
B) TE will add new engines frequently based on history of OP-1 support

This is their new new thing - it’s gonna get a lot of love from them when you consider that they need to also upsell a bunch of expensive plastic gizmos to slot into the various ports and slots.

3 Likes

I think what @Housecliche just thought

2 Likes

I was expecting a slab of aerospace grade aluminium and was surprised (but not bothered at all) to find its now the most expensive plastic thing I own. Didn’t read any reviews re build material etc and quickly just got absorbed with the thing. BUT caveat emptor - this is nowhere near the build of the OP-1 and it feels like if your stupid enough to chuck it in a back pocket or something this thing could snap given the right force. I anticipate some tears downstream here for some…
It has a very very slight “flex” and mine also has the marbling effect on the plastic in places. Very happy though.

1 Like

Thanks for your opinion! I guess if i get one i’d upload my own samples to make most of the tracks. Still not sure if there’s enough editing possibilities of the samples to make it interesting enough for me.

Got a msg mine will be delivered tomorrow morning. Will report back.

The waviness / marbling / patterns in the plastic that people are seeing is due to the material. It’s glass fiber reinforced plastic, meaning it has fiberglass in it. That makes the plastic really strong, but the glass fibers also tend to swirl and align themselves into a “grain”, making the patterns you see. It’s the nature of the material. I think that’s kinda cool, because no two OP-Z’s will be alike.

2 Likes

@TonyDS_1

Please let me know what your OP-Z is like when it arrives!

1 Like

@Housecliche

I am quite OCD with my gear, I think I am often bother by details and they end up seeming bigger issues than they actually are…

My first experience with the OP-Z is mostly positive, it’s a cool little box!

I haven’t been able to open the bottom yet and I am worried it’s due to the slight warped case, how much force does one need to apply on the yellow screws/feat to rotate them enough to open the case?