Teenage Engineering OP-Z

That was supposedly a reply to you :wink:

Thanks Cuckoo!

Hi,

Today I tried to sync my Op-z and op-1 via usb, while sending the line output of the op-z into the op-1…well, I got a gigantic ground loop buzz at the input of the op-1 :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Sync works quite well though, as long as the op-1 is master.

Strange. I tried this and I don’t think I got a buzz. Was there a usb hub in the picture?

Actually the groud loop is less audible when a hub is involved…
i got the noise when i connect an audio cable between the output of the op-z and monitor the input of the op-1

Interesting!! Have you tried switching out cables?

I changed the audio cable.
it’s excatly the same thing.

tried with this with op-1 op-z direct connection :

also tried with this involving overhub :

usb from op-z to overhub
https://www.fnac.com/Cable-Belkin-USB-C-3-1-vers-Micro-B-3-0/a8641349/w-4

overhub power adaptor

I have one more idea… you know in the OP-1 settings, that you can disable USB charging? There’s a lightning bolt icon if I’m not mistaken … you turn one of the knobs and it disappears. You could try that…

i will try thanks!

I have to try ground loop isolators on audio cables, for a few more bucks…hope it won’t trash the audio quality… i don’t know if these devices are available for usb cables…

Mmmmeeh. Things are getting complicated…this is not really the spirit i am after using TE products.
I more and more think that these TE devices work better alone or in standalone.
I never achived to integrate my op-1 in my hardware setup.
I always end up to have fun in standalone.
i’m starting to believe that it will be the same thing with the op-z…

Ha!
just saw that the op-z sends power thru the usbc port (i believe it’s a tiny 100mA).
maybe that’s the problem!

How were your devices connected?

Um from memory:

OP-Z -> USB-C to USB female adapter -> original OP-1 cable -> OP-1

Male-male small headphone jack OP-Z to OP-1

Pretty sure I had charging disabled on OP-1

This was a couple of weeks ago tho!

New OS on TE Site (.17)

add option to disable USB charging with SCREEN+E2 (to remove ground noise)
improve headphone / line jack detect (solves issues like getting mono with stereo cable)
add option to keep parameter page when switching track (“disable_param_ page_reset” setting to general.json)
clear step parameter locks with STEP+STOP
make temporary parameter changes (holding shift) available for all tracks
smoother volume knob interpolation
hard kill active track notes on double press TRACK+STOP
separate battery animations depending on USB state
minor bug fixes

Very nice!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Hi, you were right the noise comes from the usb charging on the op-1, when I disable it is highly reduced but…there is still a little noise coming from the op-1 output, which disappears when I unplug the usb cable syncing the devices. I will try with the new update…

I also have HUGE problems syncing the op-1 and op-z. All kinds of crazy stuff. I tried with the op-1 as master, the clock starts the op-z with the correct tempo but the sync doesn’t work. It starts with a random offset…
I tried the op-z as master and ooooh boy I got so many unpredictable bugs in 10 minutes that I won’t even try to make a list …
Also…the sync with my iPad is now KO. Whatever I do, it connects via Bluetooth then I am not able to access the different pages anymore.

It is getting me nuts! :exploding_head:

Argh I understand. I think I also had problems making the 1 and the Z get into sync. I think I got frustrated and stopped, but I’ll try again :slight_smile:

Did you already update your OP-Z? The software released a couple of weeks ago fixed some MIDI problems (eg if MIDI out was disabled, the app stopped working, lol. Fixed now…)

Oh I’m sorry, I just read that you’re going to try the update. Ignore me! :smiley:

I had that, just closed the app, re-started the ipad and it all worked again.

Also for your midi problems try turning off everything except transmit on the OP-Z and then your OP-1 should sync fine.

Hi,

The app works again with the latest firmware. I still have random disconnect/reconnect…

The sync with the op-1 doesn’t work great whatever set of midi parameters i use.

1- if you put the op-1 in sync mode (slave) and the op-z as master(just sending clock, everything else disabled in the midi parameters) it works but jitter alter the tape loop points of the op-1 constantly.
There are also a lot of random freeze on the op-z.

2- op-1 in beat match (master), op-z recieving clock. The sequencer starts but with the correct tempo but the sync is KO :rage: