Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Very nice!

Hi, you were right the noise comes from the usb charging on the op-1, when I disable it is highly reduced but…there is still a little noise coming from the op-1 output, which disappears when I unplug the usb cable syncing the devices. I will try with the new update…

I also have HUGE problems syncing the op-1 and op-z. All kinds of crazy stuff. I tried with the op-1 as master, the clock starts the op-z with the correct tempo but the sync doesn’t work. It starts with a random offset…
I tried the op-z as master and ooooh boy I got so many unpredictable bugs in 10 minutes that I won’t even try to make a list …
Also…the sync with my iPad is now KO. Whatever I do, it connects via Bluetooth then I am not able to access the different pages anymore.

It is getting me nuts! :exploding_head:

Argh I understand. I think I also had problems making the 1 and the Z get into sync. I think I got frustrated and stopped, but I’ll try again :slight_smile:

Did you already update your OP-Z? The software released a couple of weeks ago fixed some MIDI problems (eg if MIDI out was disabled, the app stopped working, lol. Fixed now…)

1 Like

Oh I’m sorry, I just read that you’re going to try the update. Ignore me! :smiley:

1 Like

I had that, just closed the app, re-started the ipad and it all worked again.

Also for your midi problems try turning off everything except transmit on the OP-Z and then your OP-1 should sync fine.

2 Likes

Hi,

The app works again with the latest firmware. I still have random disconnect/reconnect…

The sync with the op-1 doesn’t work great whatever set of midi parameters i use.

1- if you put the op-1 in sync mode (slave) and the op-z as master(just sending clock, everything else disabled in the midi parameters) it works but jitter alter the tape loop points of the op-1 constantly.
There are also a lot of random freeze on the op-z.

2- op-1 in beat match (master), op-z recieving clock. The sequencer starts but with the correct tempo but the sync is KO :rage:

Ah this is frustrating! I’m sorry it isn’t working well. Perhaps you can manually sync (set both to same BPM and press play simultaneously) until whatever bugs you are finding are solved. I find manually syncing a fun way of jamming :slight_smile:

Maybe you could write to TE support with your setup and ask them if they have a suggestion?

i was just thinking it’d be sweet if the “dual domain synthesis” of the op-z would let you route op-z audio to 2 different destinations… like line out of the main outs on the 'Z and another line out of your phone/ipad. I tried but nothing comes out of the phone. …not yet anyway. i’d run op-z right into the mini kp2 and the phone somewhere else like into the lyra 8 or something and have two completely different channels running.

1 Like

I have no idea when this dual domain synthesis feature will be added, but I read in some github comments that the app 1.1.0 will be released soon :slight_smile: so let’s see!

I’ve started making sound packs for the OP-Z, they’re $5 each but you get a ton of sounds, and there are free “sampler” kits for each. Currently I have a 0-Coast pack (96 sounds, 4 kits) and a Machinedrum pack (168 sounds, 7 kits)

Check them out here if you’re interested :smiley:

1 Like

If you make an op-z readable guitar sample i’ll pay a dollar

1 Like

Actually that might end up happening :smiley:

1 Like

Please I’ve been looking everywhere and I don’t have an op-1

Hi

Just to say - I’ve read through your posts and I have exactly the same experience. I’ve tried with various hubs, different midi interfaces, different cables and tweaked all the setting I can think of, and the sync is at best intermittent.

For me the bluetooth midi is the one that has worked best.

I think the midi sync side of the OP-Z is just not there yet. I have no trouble syncing the op1 to other gear.

1 Like

Any particular style? Acoustic, electric, clean, distorted?

Thanks a lot for this!!

Is the sync always stable when you start stop many times?

I don’t understand why you need your ios device to connect the devices? Op-z should act as a host for any class compliant device lile the op-1?

Acoustic would be nice. I think I’ve already found some electric ones.

1 Like

@Philippe-2000

Try syncing the OP-Z to OP-1, these settings work fine for me:
On OP-Z midi in on, midi clock in on, all other midi settings off.
On OP-1 tape set to beat match (not sync)
Direct cable connection between OP-Z and OP-1, using USB C adapter cable.
Turn on OP-1 first, then OP-Z
Try it and post back if it worked.

BTW both machines on latest official OS

4 Likes

Oh…my…:sweat:…I just saw my OP-1 OS is not the latest version…
I’ll try today and report. Thanks a lot!

2 Likes

Tried with latest os. It doesn’t work.
First time I launch the op-1 it s ok, then if enter in the process of stopping the tape of the op-1, get back to the beginning of the loop point and hit play again, it syncs again but with random offset after a few stop/start iterations!