Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Yup its awesome. It just makes everything sound cool.

1 Like

Yeah and being able to feed that into the effects as well, makes for some real weird sounds. I also like making its track an odd length so it repeats unevenly.

If only it (and the chord progression track) had step components…

2 Likes

That‘s a great idea…next thing to try among all the bazillions of options :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Haha, most of my “tracks” so far have been utter cacophony, basically a way for me to learn the extreme parameters. Using the tape track, punch in effects, chord progressions and parameter locked delay times together, all with uneven length tracks, results in some very odd, squishy sounds. Definitely something to pair with the Octatrack for further mangling :smiley:

1 Like

Totally with you. In some way it is not far from the octatrack…at least in terms of unpredictable results. I always end of somewhere completely different…but i guess we are still in honeymoon phase. Everyday life still to be challenged :smile:

Thanks for sharing. One of the few times I’ve seen hardware and iPad working together without faffing about or with hiccups!

As much as you put lots of variation into that one pattern, how easy is it to chain them up Elektron style? Lost track of the OPZ chat so not even sure if pattern chaining is in there. Presume so.

Looks a super fun way to jam though

It’s super easy to create a chain. You can store 14 chains per project, I think? Just press P+play to go into chain/ queue mode, keep P pressed and press the patterns one bye one that you wanna make a chain out of. Release and there’s your chain.
To save the chain press P and hold on any of the “white” keyboard keys.
All of the factory projects have a chain saved on chain 1.

I think a chain can be 16 patterns long, or is it 32? I can’t remember. If you’re connected to the app, you can see the grid filling up as you’re adding new patterns to the chain.

5 Likes

That was supposedly a reply to you :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Cuckoo!

1 Like

Hi,

Today I tried to sync my Op-z and op-1 via usb, while sending the line output of the op-z into the op-1…well, I got a gigantic ground loop buzz at the input of the op-1 :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Sync works quite well though, as long as the op-1 is master.

Strange. I tried this and I don’t think I got a buzz. Was there a usb hub in the picture?

Actually the groud loop is less audible when a hub is involved…
i got the noise when i connect an audio cable between the output of the op-z and monitor the input of the op-1

Interesting!! Have you tried switching out cables?

I changed the audio cable.
it’s excatly the same thing.

tried with this with op-1 op-z direct connection :

also tried with this involving overhub :

usb from op-z to overhub
https://www.fnac.com/Cable-Belkin-USB-C-3-1-vers-Micro-B-3-0/a8641349/w-4

overhub power adaptor

I have one more idea… you know in the OP-1 settings, that you can disable USB charging? There’s a lightning bolt icon if I’m not mistaken … you turn one of the knobs and it disappears. You could try that…

i will try thanks!

I have to try ground loop isolators on audio cables, for a few more bucks…hope it won’t trash the audio quality… i don’t know if these devices are available for usb cables…

Mmmmeeh. Things are getting complicated…this is not really the spirit i am after using TE products.
I more and more think that these TE devices work better alone or in standalone.
I never achived to integrate my op-1 in my hardware setup.
I always end up to have fun in standalone.
i’m starting to believe that it will be the same thing with the op-z…

Ha!
just saw that the op-z sends power thru the usbc port (i believe it’s a tiny 100mA).
maybe that’s the problem!

How were your devices connected?

Um from memory:

OP-Z -> USB-C to USB female adapter -> original OP-1 cable -> OP-1

Male-male small headphone jack OP-Z to OP-1

Pretty sure I had charging disabled on OP-1

This was a couple of weeks ago tho!

1 Like

New OS on TE Site (.17)

add option to disable USB charging with SCREEN+E2 (to remove ground noise)
improve headphone / line jack detect (solves issues like getting mono with stereo cable)
add option to keep parameter page when switching track (“disable_param_ page_reset” setting to general.json)
clear step parameter locks with STEP+STOP
make temporary parameter changes (holding shift) available for all tracks
smoother volume knob interpolation
hard kill active track notes on double press TRACK+STOP
separate battery animations depending on USB state
minor bug fixes

5 Likes