Teenage Engineering OP-Z

An official phishing email? It links to a page on the official site that implies that you got there from clicking a link… right?

If it was a scam, why were they doing it? This email is associated with a back in stock notification for the op-1, and the https://teenage.engineering/thank_you has been updated since this thread was started. Seems pretty obvious that it’s an official email, and was meant to log the region you are in in an attempt to figure out where the buyers are so they can send the op-zs internationally accordingly.

Edit:

Here’s the updated website

I have only just read/realised the OP-Z has trigless locks, you can shift and put a step component on any step, not just the lit ones…

5 Likes

it’s there when viewing the site in french, searching after changing to english yields no hits

So I got the supposedly fake email, which leads to a shopping cart containing the OP-Z and the PVC roll up. The domain is suspicious:

https://teenage.engineering/cart

The official website is https://teenageengineering.com . So it looks like a special domain created just for this offer? Sounds weird.

I tried adding an article to my shopping cart on the official website, then refreshed the suspicious one, only to find the article didn’t appear with the OP-Z and the roll up, so at least it’s a totally disconnected store, no cookies shared.

I’ve also taken a look at the SSL certificate on each website and they look alike, I’d even say they’re using the same one so I don’t know, it’s probably legit, but it seems shady at best anyway - I think I’ll sleep on it for a few months, and if I really want it I’ll try to do it via the website or a trusted retailer, even if I have to wait for a long time.

For the ones who are receiving the email, my advice is to be cautious! And of course let us know if you go through the buying process and you get the unit - I really hope it’s not a scam.

no word from TE regarding the legitimacy of the email yet?

https://teenage.engineering has been their official site for several years now. I have received emails from people working at TE (non-promotional), using that domain, regarding content they went on to promote on their social media, so it’s definitely legit.

I don’t understand why people think the first email was a scam? It links to the actual site, to a page that has text implying that you followed an email link to get there! How would a scammer set that up?

1 Like

Hi,
I received my unit this Friday.

First steps were really easy. I quickly learned the basics. The quick start guide is great.

But !! for more advanced use I would recommend having an iOS device or wait for an hypothetical android app… Or prepare to learn a lot of buttons combinations by heart!

Another thing is I think it really misses dedicated cut/copy/paste buttons…I mean…you have press shift 3 times to copy a track WTF?!

Appart from that side note, this thing is a total beast!

tbh this has been much less difficult than I expected. I use the app if I really can’t figure something out, but I’m beginning to remember the shortcuts pretty quickly.

I posted a little analysis about why I thought the first email was suspicious enough to be treated with care.

(It’s because the DMARC check failed, while SPF and DKIM passed, because the mail was sent from a third party, and the DNS records and mail headers weren’t set up right.)

(Edit: as well as this, google mail put the email into my spam folder, with a special big yellow banner with a warning on it, saying that the sender of the mail wasn’t the same as the from address. TE fucked up with this one!)

2 Likes

I think it’s just weird to have two different websites that are actually the same…I don’t know, the link still works so might as well get it. I’ll think about it, will let you know if I finally fall for it :stuck_out_tongue:

Many companies do this, usually as a redirect. They do seem to mirror each other though so it’s not like they’re two completely different websites.

I figure it’s just like learning keyboard shortcuts: sure you can look at the interface on a computer but it’s not all that hard to remember ctrl+t makes a new tab. I once used an op-1, and I don’t think the display on it (although looking very cool) added much information. The LEDs on the op-z look like they convey just as much information, it just doesn’t look as cool. Though I gotta say, the ways you can program the RGB lights to flash are awesome.

I don’t have apple devices so I’m not able to use the app. But I think the button combinations are really easy to remember and the LED feedback is also great when copy/pasting etc.

1 Like

“Seems pretty obvious that it’s an official email, and was meant to log the region you are in in an attempt to figure out where the buyers are so they can send the op-zs internationally accordingly.”

Thats what I initially thought but someone, (no names) insisted it was a scam with an overly technical definition of what “phishing” is. ::smh::
Glad it was verified it wasn’t. :grinning:

I want that bundle minus the op-z tho.

1 Like

If anyone is from NYC they have some stock at the MoMA Design Store, buddy of mine picked one up last night even though this link states it’s a pre-order and in stock Dec 7. Might be worth checking out if you’re in the area.

2 Likes

Some work here with opz as sequencer for itself and modular, and a custom videopak

10 Likes

Beautiful, visually and sonically

3 Likes

That was super cool. I don’t know if it was intentional, but I dig the pixelated graphics. What sounds were coming from OP-Z / Modular?

1 Like

Loved this

1 Like