Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Thanks! def intentional, I am a sucker for pixel gfx. :cool:

Sound wise:
the beat is from the opz.
chord sound and guitary type sound is modular
The riffy piano bit is just played along and recorded into the op1.

3 Likes

So basically the video was done on the OPZ? I dont follow…

how was everything connected/recorded, i’d love to know.

the opz plays the beat, sequences the modular, and sequences the unity scene (tree/sun thing) :+1:

2 Likes

These drums are really nice <3

Really good to hear it can get more of a “loose” sound to it too and not just do stuff on the grid.

Actually kinda interested in an op-z now.

How do you op-z cats feel about it’s potential as solely a drum machine?

1 Like

It’s great as a drum machine. Especially since you can load both sliced and chromatic samples to the tracks.

2 Likes

There’s no audio input at the moment though right?

Correct. You have to load all samples in with a computer.

You have a Digitakt to yea?

If u had to pick one?

The lack of audio ins would be frustrating. Only thing keeping me from getting a mk1 rytm but I’m sure they’re gonna have an input module come out soon enough.

The Digitakt is my favorite piece of gear I’ve ever owned, I think. So I’d pick it over the Z if I had to. That said, the 2 together are a really amazing combo. Using the DT midi tracks to control parameters and mute groups on the Z is really powerful.

2 Likes

I love it as a drum machine – you just have to be OK with how the opz sequences -> I like using 1 bar loops with many step components for variation VS stretching out the pattern and recording something longer.

I think that’s the “opz way” (to use step components and work in shorter bar amounts) but its early days still.

1 Like

Same! Then I use longer tracks for the master transpose, punch in fx and tape track.

3 Likes

Hey guys, some questions about op-z:

• is there a shortcut to reset a track parameters?
  • do we know the polyphony of each track when used as a midi track?

Also:

• Am I dumb or is there no standard reverb?

I’m going to have to buy this bloody device.

4 Likes

I think I’m sleepin on the DT a bit and haven’t committed enough to only using it for drums. The 33 second limitation is not a good fit for me for melodies but I think I can get more out of it if I
just focus on using it for drums.

Miss my OT a lot :frowning:

1 Like

I don’t mind the 33 sec limit, it’s the longest of all my samplers lol. I do mind the lack of slice mode though. That said, it’s the one box I feel like I can make full tracks on and have played live with just it a few times. Ctrl-all is genius as well.

1 Like

sweetwater just shipped my Op-Z! Wednesday is going to be a good day: Bit O’ Honey and a new synth.

I had one on pre order from the first batch. But when I picked it up from the store I decided to cancel the purchase and use the money for other things. Why?

• it is REALLY small. The buttons are much smaller than I would have thought useful, they dont even feel as usable as my PO-32 or PO-33 with the rubber case (which feel great)
  • the buttons have a lot of play in them and dont feel consistent as to when the trigger occurs when you press
  • the on off swivel thing feels flimsy and breakable
  • over all i could not see it lasting that well as a mobile device

I was really disappointed as all the vids I had seen show some really nice sounds and I like the sequencer and iOS screen option. But for the price I was expecting something well built. And it just is not.

2 Likes

this was a selling point for me :stuck_out_tongue: I was amazed that it was even smaller than I expected.

I don’t have this problem, but I did notice that the buttons double trigger quite often; I’m hoping this can be fixed in software.

This was one area where I was pleasantly surprised. If you look at the teardown, you can see it extends quite far into the enclosure, and the way it’s kept in place (ie. outer shell/“ring” from the enclosure itself) makes it very sturdy.

I think it is incredibly well built. I don’t know how it could have been built more solidly, apart from perhaps an aluminium enclosure… and for a device this small, I don’t think that’s necessary. The only thing I can see going wrong is debris getting into the button/encoder/socket spaces, but that’s true with almost every device. There are no parts to easily break off (apart from the volume knob, but see the link above for why I’m confident) so it really could just be put in a sock and chucked in a bag without worrying, imo.

3 Likes

Well then, thank you!!

It was weird. I preordered the day Sweetwater announced preorders.

Then I checked in last week to see what the expected eta was supposed to be and my sales rep said that it had been pushed back to March 2019!! Then I woke up today to a shipping notice.