Teenage Engineering OP-Z

that’s really nice!

An incredibly close cover considering the limitations of the OP-Z vs what Beck had at his disposal. Very impressive!

Just got the op-z yesterday. This thing is just lots of fun. Transposing on the master track is my favorite feature so far :heart:

2 Likes

Oh yes, the OPZ Bluetooth to ios connection was quick and easy. I also have the apple cck though so thought I’d try it but sadly for me the ipad said no (ipad mini gen2)

I also bought a USB C to mini B cable hoping I could use the larger (in comparison :joy:) Korg nanokey but for me it did not work, could be the cable I guess.

Re the multimedia stuff, I was quite taken by it too initially but at present it seems like more hassle than it is worth (I don’t mean that to sound unkind to TE BTW, more my own stubbornness) to get it working for what seems to be just simple midi control of unity objects, in other words I’d probably be more inclined to use a laptop and any midi sequencer, forgoing the need for the app/itunes. I get that it is all about the package though and certainly TE are to be praised for bringing it all together in such a neat package.

Ha, it sounds like I don’t like the OPZ much doesn’t it? Nothing could be further from the truth though, and to be fair the 8 audio tracks and sequencer are enough to keep me happy for now.

2 Likes

Just got mine. It’s quiiiiite interesting! Such a sleek and cool build, really fun and deep. Need an FM synth in it though. :loopy:

(To clarify; does sound like there is some FM going on in there, but it’s very applied/specific)

11 Likes

Well, you’re the man for that, I can get you a fake identity/new name so that Elektron don’t find out you are moonlighting for TE :joy:

Matthew Simonson?

3 Likes

** slight edits for clarity!!

Soo to control my OP-Z with my keystep (and to provide the keystep with power), I used this adapter that came with a Samsung phone, plugged directly into the OP-Z, with the keystep USB cable connected to the adapter:

And this is the camera connection kit cable that let me connect the OP-Z to my iPhone 8; it showed up as a MIDI controller. I used this adapter along with the cable that came with the OP-Z.

2 Likes

While we’re at it with connectivity:

This aukey adapter does a great job syncing the op-z with the digitakt.

4 Likes

Strange, I have the exact same cck as you and using the supplied cable I get this:

Yeah this is so cool, love it. Setting the master track to 8 bars and recording key changes and muting/unmuting it can get you so many variations of a 1 bar pattern.

1 Like

What version of iOS are you on? I think iOS 11 stopped the old CCKs working with most stuff without a powered hub in between :frowning: I’m using the Lightning to USB 3 CCK and haven’t had any problems with it so far.

FWIW I am running 12.1 (12.0 at last test).

Perhaps it is related to the different device models?

I’m on ios 12, tried it with ipad mini 2nd gen and iphone SE same result. Both were fully charged too.

1 Like

Weird idea, but was the OP-Z already up and running when you attached it with the cable? I am curious about the word “Boot” in the device’s identifier in your screenshot.

Yes it was powered up when I connected it, I assumed it would need to be for the ios device to see it. Anyway just tried it connected whilst powered off and when I turn it on it is the same.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I’m not too worried though since I don’t really use my ios stuff for midi, and the OPZ app works fine over BLE. :thup:

1 Like

Anyone have the latest iPad Pro? Interested to see if you could charge from it’s USB C port.

The midi/cv module should hopefully be with us soon!

3 Likes

Just a quick follow up, just updated my ipad to 12.1 and no longer getting the ‘device uses too much power’ error, however it still doesn’t seem to be showing up as a wired midi device.

I tried using it via BLE midi with Gadget though and it works great, I did not bother to map midi channels or anything serious - but transport, control and notes all seem to work, and the latency seems minimal. I might experiment with it in a few weeks time and do some actual music with the combo :joy: what a novelty!

2 Likes

For other devices and iOS i’ve found connecting a small USB hub to the CCK and then the device to the hub tricks IOS into not detecting power draw issues

3 Likes

Tested a USB midi host made by hobbytronics mine is like this one but an older version, works fine so I look foreward to sequencing external midi on the last 3 tracks which seems to work as all the tracks can output midi. http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/audio-midi/usb-midi-converter

I also have a Oplab and Kenton usb host, but the hobbytronics one is a spare so I’ll use it for portable jams rather than in my setup where the other 2 are permanently connected.

1 Like