Teenage Engineering OP-Z

“Haha I just mindlessly plugged my op-z into my mio via USB and pressed play, planning to sample its output into the OT, and of course it started to midi-play my A4 (and send/thru a midi clock, doubling the tempo) so everything went crazy. It actually sounded pretty rad ;D”

@tengig
You might of invented a new genre of music.
What are you going to call it? lol

1 Like

haha maybe Accidental Tech Step? Progressive MIDI Loop?

I just rendered a track that represents how I’m feeling right now (OP-Z into OT, LoFi + extra delay on OT)

Someone above mentioned not liking the pitch bend “pad” thing - I’ve grown to really like it. I use my thumb/thumbnail to press it and it feels like I can control it.

5 Likes

In case any of you haver missed it, the best resource I have found for OPZ stuff currently is:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OPZuser/

On this link there is a fully hyperlinked PDF manual, free 808 and 909 drum kits and some pretty cool undocumented tips and finds…I wont repost them as the honour belongs to the people who did the work/made the finds, but check it out!

2 Likes

https://www.reddit.com/r/OPZuser/comments/9shw9l/fun_with_samples/

Meant to post the link earlier

1 Like

That would be super powerful, I am curious to hear the answers too!

Nice track… So you seem to feel twisted and bend? :wink:

jingo

1 Like

one question:

when pluggin the opz to an ios device via usbc or bt, will it be recognized as an audio interface, so that you can send audio to it and listen via the headphone connector of the opz?

this would be handy, because newer ios devices have no headphone jack anymore

@andreasroman says hello to his old Nauts friends ! :ghost:

:slight_smile:

12 Likes

That change at 2:10 - magic!

Nice plant btw ;), OP-Z sounds like my old amiga 500, no offense :P, just my 2 cents…

I’m afraid not :frowning: only MIDI!

so its not a dream machine as they told us, damn

1 Like

:smiley:

I think it’s pretty dreamy even without Bluetooth audio <3

1 Like

It can sound like whatever you want, from what I’ve heard so far… that said, I personally am ok with it sounding like an amiga :smiley:

1 Like

Nintendo Game boy had a 8 bit drum kit like this. Add some twangy elastic bands and you have your new instrument. Only kidding :slight_smile:

1 Like

q1.why would someone pay over the odds for this synth (any recently released synth) ??

q2.and why would a printing fault suddenly be termed ’ limited edition’ ?.. (unless of course i was trying to convince people to buy it if i was selling one ) … in general i’m completely over this marketing thing of ‘limited edition’ , watches , consoles etc… its just a different colour / sticker on it…

q3.why does the op-1 still sell for a high 2nd hand price ? … they don’t seem hard to find …

just a few questions bouncing round my head on a sunday evening. lets finish off with this one …

q4.why are people getting upset about other peoples opinion on an electronics device.

please dont answer them , they’re just rhetorical questions , … i think there has been some confusion over this device, partly from TE , partly from reading forum comments and people getting confused , and some understandably confused people over the claims / reality of the device… theres plenty of info coming out daily about this … do your research people… and if your questions arent answered , dont buy it. ( i know it sounds obvious and i’m certainly guilty of buying new things that look great … i try not to any more)

2 Likes

My question is does it have the small, boxed in, undynamic sound of the op-1?
Hopefully the sound quality has been improved, although from what I have heard so far it seems to carry the same traits

1 Like

To my ear, it sounds “cleaner” than the OP-1, but honestly, these airy descriptions of how devices sound are really in the ear of the beholder. (I think our hearing can be influenced by how the device looks and feels, too. And what we’ve read in forums :smiley: ) so … take what I say with a grain of salt!

I certainly wouldn’t call the sound “boxed in” myself, but I like to tweak the per-track and the master filters and FX to my taste.

I personally love how it sounds, just as I love how the OP-1 sounds, just as I love how the Blofeld and the A4 sound … we are so lucky to have access to these amazing instruments!

5 Likes

+1 for the creds to the Blofeld…

1 Like

I wish they’d make an XL version that’s about 100% larger. I suppose that’s where the OP-1 comes in. It just feels like you’d need to either EDITED or look like someone playing Tiny Hands to get the most out of it. I’ll need to try it but the UI looks more like torture to me.

2 Likes