Teenage Engineering OP-Z

I think TE didn’t do a good job in marketing the OP-Z before and after its release. The messaging and description was a bit vague at the start, and the marketing upon release has been barebones at best. It seems that I, and many others, are by now accustom to the OP-1 capabilities, and naturally expected TE to release a product to be the next evolution of their original flagship instrument. But like I said above, turns out the OP-Z is just a smaller, more distilled version of the OP-1. If you keep in mind the products that TE releases, and their spirit when it comes to music, the OP-Z makes total sense.

Perhaps TE didn’t want to turn away a chunk of their fanbase, knowing that they must be expecting something bigger than OP-1, so they remain low-key about the OP-Z.

An SD card module for multi-stem recordings and import from large folders of samples would be nice to see.

1 Like

Not sure if I’d agree with this description. OP1 was primarily a tape machine; OPZ appears to be primarily a sequencer. They might have similar synth and sampler engines but the approach is pretty different.

4 Likes

One of the big criticisms of the OP-1 was it had no undo tape record function(athough there are tricks that can workaround this). Does the OP-Z have an undo record function.? If so it is an improvement.

No undo for live recording, but copying a track to another slot is quickness.

Yep. Shocking design choice

You can save a copy of your project on the OP-Z then recall it to its last saved state. Not exactly undo but it’s a safety net.
The No Save mode is pretty awesome too :+1:

1 Like

Another shortcoming is sequencing is pretty limited on the OP-1 is limited compared to the OP-Z: only 1 pattern at a time vs. up to 16, step components, polymetric patterns, etc.

Gross oversimplification:

OP-1 - Onboard sampling, resampling via Tape, limited sequencing, pretty colored display
OP-Z (base unit - no addons) - No audio recording, no onboard sampling, much more capable sequencing.

The two are different enough that it’s clear that TE wants you to buy both of them, not one instead of the other.

1 Like

well since I already own an OT, I would rather have the OP-1 if I was to get a TE device.

I know it doesn’t sample but does it record the mic input? Or what’s the mic for? To perform live vocals over your track?

As you say Sequencer (z) v Tape.(1) Ive not read much but i like the drum patterns on the OP-1 and how its implemented. And the arpegiator. What way is the sequencer a large improvement to a large extent on the OP -Z?

Someone said that there are numerical indicators for the parameters. They even posted a comment on a youtube video (the NomNomChomsky review) regarding that :
Someone asked about it and another user answered:

When you press shift, the numerical lights indicate which page of parameters you are on

And TE confirmed :

hey marcel, we think you’d have a great time still! there are definitely ways to be 100% certain when operating the units, regardless of color. like david here mentioned for instance. thanks guys!

1 Like

Maybe TE are referring to not all parameters show numerical values.

It shows parameter page number for me. some other parameters that show numbers are tempo, arp type, step component value…

I think when they have the black keys of the keyboard available they show the numerical info when it is practical to do so.

lol!

Yeah at the moment I think that’s all :slight_smile:

The software synth and drum engines themselves are modular; you can add and remove them to the device using the app (and maybe using disk mode idk). I can imagine that a new synth engine will be added, called “sampler” or something, which allows for more interesting things with the mic.

1 Like

You can save only one pattern at a time in the OP-1 sequencers - any of them. That means you cannot switch from one pattern to another.

Please see the overview at the website, which lists a bunch of features the OP-1 sequencers do not have - too many for me to type here:
https://teenageengineering.com/products/op-z

1 Like

Cheers!

[ Moderator moved post : Off-topic reply to this post … ]

Hm, I don’t mean to nag at you but have you had a look at the OP-Z sequencer now it’s out?
(https://www.teenageengineering.com/products/op-z)

Does anyone know if there is a way to punch this in manually yet? Or is the only way to get 4 notes per trig still by recording live?

OP-1 could be a solid choice if you understand what it can and cannot do. I don’t regret buying one, despite the “just get an iPad!” arguments. My first iPad - 4th generation - has limited usability these days because of the unrelenting waves of IOS updates/changes, particularly the change from 32-bit to 64-bit. Whereas the “more limited” OP-1 continues to be functional and useful.

OP-1 is not vulnerable to the whims of a megacompany like Apple and the musician-unfriendly decisions it has made (elimination of headphone jack on most iPhone models, and now the iPad Pro). I expect OP-Z to enjoy almost the same immunity - it does have an Apple-hosted companion app, but the app is apparently display-only - some update to it forced by Apple should not break the OP-Z.

1 Like