Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Change is good, rather companies innovate and progress rather than rehash old ideas.

2 Likes

Got to love how defensive some can get over genuine valid criticism of their new and shiny! Can we please not descend into Xbox/PS fanboyism? (Nintendo are better anyway).

1 Like

I accept the criticism fully. Opinions are completely respected- I’m just wondering how many people actually have or have used one for an extended period of time.

Am I upset about the battery life? No. More like disappointed but I’ll make do with a battery pack.

Glow in the dark paint? Don’t care.

iOS only? Don’t really care- I have an iPhone but you really don’t need a screen once you get used to it. This is especially true if you rig up a launch control XL or similar to control levels/FX/Filters/whatever.

Is it the best thing ever? Oh god no. For one, I have big hands and fingers so it’s almost too small. Also, the buttons could be easier to press (don’t get me started about the PB button).

Can I make an entire song on it? (Kinda…?). Just no audio track support (yet?- fingers crossed)

Try one for a day or two. Watch Cuckoo’s video on it and follow along with your own OP-Z. Do that twice and you’ll have it down. Then, if you really want, watch Huang’s much shorter video on it.

Now pardon me, I have to go push tiny buttons and make bleep bloop sounds.

5 Likes

If they had added a screen …
Higher cost
Screen too big
Screen too small
Complaints it wasn’t a touch screen .

No winners , only complaints , arguments , opinions…
By using a phone as optional screen , they’ve needed to develop an interface that seems to be well implemented using keys/buttons/leds , a further development on pocket operators (which have screens but are largely pointless)

The gimmick of unity , dmx lighting are pointless to me , if I wanted to trigger animations remotely it’s possible via anything that can spit out midi notes and an engine that can read them / joystick input.

I’d be more interested in the cost of modules and potential end price if sequencing external midi is important.

For now , it is what it is , complaining about the screen seems pointless considering the options are out there … don’t buy it if it’s an issue , move on with life.

3 Likes

Heh - at the moment, not planning on selling either, but I hear ya. The hard part would be picking which one to let go - I can’t pick a favorite child (cough cough digitone)!

Edit: I only mention downsizing devices because I only have so much time in the day/week to learn, let alone play with my gear. As it is, I probably already have too many things. The OP-Z would be yet another new interface and workflow to learn and adapt to. That’s where portability makes it look so attractive. I can take a short break at work, take it with me on car rides to the in-laws, anywhere! Jeez, I sound like I’m talking myself into one…

2 Likes

Will this push the price of the OP-1 up? There not a lot of difference for much more real estate.

Zoom arq?

1 Like

Different product, so imo, no.

I would say down if anything, the OP-Z does more for less in my opinion and is far more portable.

The sounds are the same Surely thats not a circular OP-Z.

Yes but TE havent discontinued the OP-1. Why buy the OP-Z when for a little bit more you can get their flagship?

both.

1 Like

Okay, I got to spend some time with the OP-Z, and I have to take a few steps back with my previous comments.

I still think it’s kinda shit that, accessibility wise, TE basically shut their doors to those who are colorblind with the OP-Z. At the same time, however, their new device is basically the distilled vision of the OP-1. Many videos that came later out of the OP-1’s release showed off the capability range of the OP-1, but further got away from what the OP-1 was originally intended for: a portable instrument that makes it fun and easy to explore making music.

And the OP-Z is pretty much the original spirit of the OP-1 packed into a device the size of a television remote controller. With my memory capacity equivalent to Dory of “Finding Nemo”, a screen would be helpful (save the phone/tablet argument for another discussion), but I still found myself exploring and experiencing joy make music. The level of depth is there if you want it, but if you want a device that is super portable and fun to play or sketch ideas, the OP-Z is pretty rad.

3 Likes

For real dude…

1 Like

Screen-slave social-media-cancer zombie-apocalypse info-overload/knowledge-starvation self-orientated isolationism.

Or you know, something along those lines…

3 Likes

My dears, we’re here to talk about the OP-Z! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

3 Likes

I haven’t had the chance to use the OP-Z’s screen-sharing abilities, but that’s good to know that TE is at least addressing the colorblind issue.

And yeah, having no screen made things very uncomfortable at first, but then I started remembering old Casio keyboards, and jamming on them when I was a little bean. I don’t really see myself yet of using an OP-Z in a live performance, and I have other gear to do solid recording, but I see the OP-Z as a fun thing to sketch ideas in a cafe or bar. I can also see the OP-Z as a fun thing to bring to parties and link up to lights and give folks an interactive experience.

Like the OP-1, deep down, the OP-Z is a fun creativity device center around music. How far you want to take it is really up to the user.

1 Like

^ it is really small enough that I literally pack it into my handbag every time I go out of the house :slight_smile: And it’s unobtrusive enough (no screen!!) that most people won’t take notice, which I find nice.

2 Likes

I usually bring my OP-1 to work and bust it out during breaks. Count me to do the same with the OP-Z when I have the funds for a unit.

1 Like

It just looks so cute that I’d be worried I’d dip it into my latte!
It looks like Scottish Shortbread with lights…

2 Likes