Teenage Engineering OP-Z

As you suggest, a trial would be best, of course if I purchased the OP-Z I could always return it.
I have real problems with my modular too, lots of different modes and no easy way of telling what’s what, although I have my ears and tend to make do.

The Nord G2 software editor has a colourblind setting which is spot on, a feature that still blows me away to this day, very well executed…

4 Likes

When you press shift, the numerical lights indicate which page of parameters you are on, so no you don’t have to be able to see the colors in terms of the encoders, you just have to memorize a number instead of a color.

3 Likes

Yup…I’m 52, my kids are teens, they want screens…I could use the OP-Z after a few days without the screen (which currently realy doesn’t add much) and I prefer it that way.

Don’t get me wrong, a tiny calculator screen would have been useful and probably fit the athettic, but it has been designed from the ground up to use without a screen, and given that it is seriously deep, they have done an amazing job.

2 Likes

Technically correct, but it’d be disingenuous to claim that the exaggerated initial battery numbers didn’t boost hype and pre-orders.

Anyway, that’s the last I’ll say on it. 6h with quick charging is definitely enough to have fun and make some tunes.

1 Like

And don’t forget it only takes 30 seconds to swap batteries…it’s also possible that higher capacity batteries may follow…

Assuming the LEDs on the OP-Z are properly RGB, there’s nothing from stopping them implementing protanopia/deuteranopia/tritanopia modes where the colour coding is different. Lots of videogames do this for their UI and it’s actually not hard to do, as long as you do the research and identify the best colours to use.

It might be something worth requesting from TE. I wouldn’t be surprised if they’ve thought about it already as for example the OP-1 has braille labels next to its inputs/outputs.

2 Likes

Is there some kind of edict from Teenage Engineering for early adopters not to use the iOS app in videos, so to prove that the OP-Z can be used as a screenless device? I can’t imagine having the machine on without my iPad or iPhone in tow, tbh, as it’ll be much easier. I can certainly see the value in learning all the shortcuts, but that display is going to be mega-useful.

It’s just quicker and easier to use it without the screen :slight_smile: (once you’ve learned the controls, that is. Doesn’t take long, if you can take my word for it :-))

(That said, the touch-interface for the mixer feature where you can fade/mute 8 channels at once is pretty cool. But I thiiiink that’s the only thing you need the screen for.)

Another edit: FYI, when I do use the app, I still use it only as a visualiser. I use all the knobs and buttons on the device to control it.

3 Likes

Out of interest because the battery life is quite short will this have an impact on rebooting when the power dies (when you least expect it) like it does with the OP-1. (which has a better battery life. Ie having to kickstart to get it working again. This was a pain in the butt for TE.

1 Like

Just thinking maybe it would have been better for TE to make an OP1 MK2 with the OP-Z’s features.?

1 Like

I’d say this is a poor analogy. The engine(s) is/are all there with the OP-Z, screen is not vital. A better analogy would maybe be that you wouldn’t buy a car without doors / windows. Can you still drive the car? Yes. Would doors / windows make using the car a more pleasant experience? Perhaps.

Just my two cents from my own little corner of the internet.

I still think this is an amazing device for the price. Battery life is a minor drawback (minor, since USB-C charging probably is as fast as people say), but there are workarounds. I want one, but I don’t need one. I’m tempted, insofar as I would probably sell one or both of digitakt and digitone to get OP-Z. However, I’m not ready to do that, as I love both of those elektron boxes. However, however OP-Z might reasonably replace those boxes (for my needs), is extremely portable and compact, and has a certain “coolness” to it. Tempted, to be sure. I still want to see more in-depth on the workflow and interface. Those little buttons don’t seem very inviting at this early stage. Fortunately, I can wait.

5 Likes

Why the screen talk. Everyone owns a phone. The phone is your screen :confused:

Not everyone has an iPhone though!

3 Likes

Radical thinking by TE. We are accustomed to seeing synths have a certain shape and look. Blocky with knobs and LCD . Im still waiting for a round synth.

1 Like

WTF!? iOS only?! (I havent read up on this thing as im not interested)

Major design flaw :-1:

Apologies…my mistake.

2 Likes

Mine just arrived here at work. It’s on my desk, taunting me… inviting me… gonna be a long day.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: I’m pretty sure they’ll release an android version. My understanding is that the Android ecosystem is much less friendly for developing sound+midi stuff, whereas iOS is pretty darn awesome (see our posts above about using it as a BT midi controller in other iOS apps)

If you only have an android phone, and you need a screen, you shouldn’t buy it yet.

Edit:
(I suspect the whole OP-Z app was developed in Unity though, so there’s a big chunk of the cross-platform work already done for them. Keijiro’s stuff at least certainly seems to be a bit cross-platform. One step at a time!)

2 Likes

I wonder how many of the people bashing the Op-Z actually have one? I received mine on Saturday and I’m already fairly adept at the shortcuts without a screen, I wasn’t on a transatlantic flight so battery life wasn’t a concern, and I didn’t read the manual at all. I have peeked at it a few times when a deeper function was forgotten (microtiming!)

If you have one and don’t like it, return it or better, flip it for profit. I love mine so I’m keeping it.

7 Likes

Loving the step components, makes the sequencer very fun and versatile.

USB host is also cool, having a single cable hooked up for midi in and out is quick and simple. Just seems less hassle to hook it up to whatever gear you want at short notice. Had fun hooking it up to a reface CP then playing the notes on that or the op-z both ways.

The sequencer seems to have a decent amount of resolution for when you don’t want quantization.

1 Like

Don’t sell both! Digixxxx + OP-Z is a very powerful combo!

4 Likes