Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Ordered in the same time as you at Thomann. Today I asked them via chat and they answered that it might arrive in 2nd week of November…but stated as well that they cannot guarantee it.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that information! It would be very nice to have it early November. Just enough time to prepare some drum sample kits with the OP-1 :blush:

According to Thomann:

“The official delivery date would be the 9th of November and then another delivery on the 14th of December. These are, however, quite uncertain as the past has proven.”

So, there it is :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have played with my new OP-Z for a few hours now. I really like it a lot. I’m still getting over how small it is. Sorry @abozzelli I haven’t been in the right headspace for testing MIDI things yet, but perhaps tomorrow! It sounds very good. The interface is not as hard to learn as I expected (but there’s a lot to learn, so it’ll take a day or two). The possibilities of this tiny instrument are great!

Teenage Engineering really make delightful instruments :slight_smile: :heart_decoration: :heart: :heart_decoration: :sweden: :musical_note: :musical_keyboard:

(The headphone jack is a combi mic/headphone jack, and the device understands the “answer” button - lol!)

A cool simple thing:

I connected the OP-Z with USB to my computer and turned it on. I started Max 8. I dropped a dial object onto a blank patcher. I clicked the MIDI mapping button in max. I moved a dial on my OP-Z. The dial is now mapped. I duplicate the dial a few times and presto, I have my own personal visualiser of those OP-Z physical dials. SHIFTing through the dial modes on the OP-Z works as expected; each channel gets a 4x4 grid of dials.

This isn’t groundbreaking obviously, but it’s extremely easy to do. (Does anyone know if it’s possible to tell Max 8 to make a bidirectional MIDI mapping, using this new simple mapping paradigm?)

2 Likes

Amusingly I still have no idea how this thing works or what it can do, but I’m assuming that’s because TE are on some mad next-level thinking. It all seems very exciting though, going to sit and read the manual soon.

2 Likes

Is there any word yet on how long the battery lasts?

A year on standby, several days of continuous use, and it is easily replaceable (as in you could carry a spare and just swap it out)

1 Like

Had the same question as @Python and it seems not as promised. Some people are reporting 4 hours with continuous use at one charge, see https://www.operator-1.com/index.php?p=/discussion/4727/what-is-your-op-z-battery-usage

1 Like

I noticed that after a couple of hours use the battery was lower than I expected, maybe 80% or whatever. But I haven’t gone through a full charge yet; last night I left it plugged in to charge fully. Perhaps a firmware thing, perhaps not. (It’s totally replaceable though, so I can carry a spare, so even if it turns out I get 8 hours instead of 24, I am not saddened.)

4 hours would be very disappointing. The people on operator-1.com also report that it fully charges in 1 hour. Either that’s great, or the battery indicator is as bugged as the one on the op-1 and we might have longer lasting batteries and people are just not charging it completely. I’m looking forward to the first reports from overnight charges.

“if you want a display then use the device most likely in your pocket” - sadly currently most likely not the case for about 80% of us!

1 Like

Get a second hand iPod touch

I’m not really having a pop at TE to be fair, just thought the quoted line was a bit eyebrow raising. I’d be interested to hear reasons why Android isn’t supported yet as doubt this is a “iOS is so great a music” thing. Probably just easier to develop a solid build quickly and prevent further OPZ delays.

There’s a fair chance I’ll entertain the purchase of an OPZ when a wider user base is supported. No danger I’d be happy with using this thing screenless long term that’s for sure.

I think something is going on. Either people are not charging it long enough, or the indicator is weird like the Op-1 or or or

I also wonder if it’s just rumors with respects to what TE stated. For example I heard TE promised 16 hours…above SliC states “several days of continuous use” 1 day is 24 hours, so several days? That’s crazy. Did TE actually state somewhere 16 hours of continuous use? Or several days of continuous use?

I understand companies exaggerate a bit with marketing, but 16 hours vs. 3-4 hours? Something isn’t right…

It says on their site that it lasts long enough to fly across the Atlantic 4 times (=~24h)

Wow… hopefully that means something odd is just happening with the people only getting 3-4 hours. That’s a huge difference.

They must have changed it (unless I’m missing something)…now it just says:

"after flying the atlantic and sequencing complete songs on 16 dedicated tracks, when ready to land, just slide it in your inner pocket and head out on the road."

If flying the Atlantic 4 times equals 24 hours, then flying it once equals 6 hours. But it doesn’t even say that (6 hours). Doesn’t state a specific time at all. Just states after flying you can put it in your pocket :rofl:

Under battery it just says 1 year stand by, user replaceable.

If they did say several days…then changed it to 24 hours…then changed it to 16 hours…then changed it to “can put it in your pocket”… at least they changed it & didn’t leave it that way.

Edit: Apparently TE had the below disclaimer on the same page
“NOTE ALL SPECIFICATIONS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE.”

Maybe one of the modules will be a second battery!

I have had mine for a few days now, I am guessing I have used it for about 3 or 4 hours and I am still on around 50%…I haven’t had Bluetooth on much.

Obviously using it with Bluetooth on will use a bit more juce, but full volume out of the speaker will use more…some batteries preform better once fully discharged and recharged a few times…

FYI … it is one of best hardware sequencers I have used (for reference I have the dark trinity and digitone and close to 500hp of modular) it’s almost like modular synth patching - combining a few of those step components to create evolving almost organic patterns.

4 Likes

I’ve got a question for you! Maybe you already solved it.

I made a nice looping pattern, and I wanted to write a longer tune over the top. So I duplicated the pattern a couple of times, and put my tune in sections into the newly duplicated patterns.

Then I used the song mode to create a sequence of patterns. Cool!

Except: when I play it, if I for example adjust the master chorus effect, that adjustment is saved for the currently playing pattern, and gets immediately reset when the next pattern starts.

I’m sure there’s a way to get around this! Do you know the secret? I remember seeing something about a “no save” mode, but that doesn’t seem right …

I love the sequencer!