Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Given that I can buy a 32GB microSD card for less than $10 I’m not sure I agree, but it could be worse.

1 Like

…but of course it isnt a ‘sampler’ (yet) you have PCM ‘sample playback’ and 8 other synth engines to go with that that dont take RAM, so you wont be as despoerte for sample RAM as yopu would on something where the only engine was sample playback.

Also, you only have 80 MB RAM on he OT Mk2 which cost twice as much and is about ten times bigger! (and 64 in the Digitakt which is again much bigger and not battery powered so had no size or power constraints…) so it doesnt seeem to stingy comainred to that…

‘If’ they make a module for sampling which seems very likely (they make a pocket operator sampler so they already have the chip/code/A2D etc…) they could add more RAM or even external storage like an SD card (in if that could stream from that card…!) Check out PO-33, I see that in a module soon!

https://www.teenageengineering.com/guides/po-33/en

Lets face it, having a space for an expansion module is genius…as people (like me) can speculate wildly that anything is possible :slight_smile: but putting the existing range of pocket operators in to expantion cards seems like a no-brainer to me!

1 Like

I wonder if the metal contact pads on the back of the Pocket Operators are significant here? Maybe we will be able to insert an actual PO into an adapter XD

http://hackingthepo.weebly.com/ hmm

about 10 minutes in on this video you get a good look at the connectors (one bank of 8, one bank of 6) that will be connected by contact pin from the module (which is a pretty decent size, a significant part of the OP-Z’s volume!) so it could definitely happen- so easy for TE to take the POs and just ‘modules’ them without the now unnecessary keyboard. or speaker etc. The Midi CV unit has 4 external connectors as well, so obviously the I/O can be expanded quite significantly.

PS- replaceable battery is nice- that was always a worry with the OP-1

3 Likes

I’d love to have a module with the tonic drum engine!

Quick correction, according to the manual the OP-Z can store the full 32 Meg (it just ships with content so only 25|Meg is free, but the content can be cleared)

The 4 drum tracks are interesting as they have 24 ‘sounds’ per track (so kinda like a 96 sound soundpool?) and 2 note polyphony which really doubles the tack count in many ways…

1 Like

Can a midi track send notes to regular tracks? Is midi loopback possible?

I’ve already seen the guide but looks like it’s not possible :grimacing:

I love Bitwig and Coffee!

I’m not very familiar with it but I guess that “any incoming midi” are midi messages from another device through the midi usb cable.

Yes, correct. But e.g. on the OT/DT/DN you should take a midi cable from midi out and connect it back to midi in. Since the op-z has only one midi-usb cable I’m wondering if there’s another way to achieve midi loopback. I guess it’s not possible without an external midi device or the forthcoming midi/cv module but I hope I’m wrong :slight_smile:

Hi! I’m going on tour on December, which means I’m going to be stuck in a van for a month with not much to do. I was thinking about getting an OP-Z for the trip, I’ve seen several retailers expect it to be back in stock in 2-3 weeks…is that reliable? I wouldn’t like to pay 600€ and then have it arrive home while I’m away.

its a brand new device , barely left sweden , its probably best to call the store for any type of guarantee .
maybe they can send to your hotel if they call you when its in their hands.

for many i would think ‘back in stock’ probably means its the first time they’ve had stock.

Actually, I thought the first batch had already been shipped, but from what I’ve seen people who got into the first pre-order still don’t have their unit, so I guess I shouldn’t have my hopes up for getting it before 2019. Time to think about another thing to take on the road, I guess :slight_smile:

1 Like

My OP-Z just arrived :open_mouth: (in Berlin)

But I’m on the phone with Apple Support about a dumb thing and I haven’t opened it yet!!!

2 Likes

It’s so tiny!!!

Nice! Did you pre-order directly at teenage engineering? I placed an order at thomann a month ago, but still no shipping confirmation :frowning:

Yes, directly from TE.

Edit: the wait will be worth it. It’s the cutest little synth critter I’ve ever seen.

Mine came today (UK), its tiny OK but when you plug in headphones it sounds incredible (nothing on YouTube really prepares you for how good it sounds when its load through good phones)

Just need this now: https://www.opzed.com/news/opz-modules-what-we-know-so-far.html

1 Like

@tengig @SLiC can you check this :pray: