Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Yeah, to be honest the sampling features of the Op-1 is what got me to just go for it… & once I had it & played with the synths I realized I really liked a lot of them & could shape them into something more my “style”. I have a feeling I would feel the same about the Op-z, PLUS using it with the Op-1? Woo! It seems like they would really compliment each other.

There’s just A LOT of gear out there I like, so I’m having a hard time deciding… BUT I want to downsize & I love portable gear…

…decisions decisions

1 Like

Seriously? Think about the amount of pressure exerted on such a small area. I think the pressure pads will be the weak spot.

YES!

Prior to getting the Op-1 I thought it couldn’t really add anything to my sound or workflow…I already have samplers & digital synths, I have portable gear, ect, ect

But with the Op-1 I am soooooo creative… it has me experimenting more & I make a lot of stuff I would never come up with on another machine.

I bet it would be the same with the Op-z. TE makes some really inspiring/creative gear.

2 Likes

yeah, I’ve read the complete user manual today and the OP-Z puts in everything that Elektron can’t deliver (thinking about usability and especially the fair amount of value you’ll get. if its too small it’s small enough to take place on your favorite and BIG super Studio Controller with 88 Keys and Pads and such…every aspect of OP-Z is midi controllable.
“Dream Machine” says somebody sneaked through the forums and answered all the questions. and they def. will in the future…it’s made to be optimized over a long period. and you can route Midi internally (link tracks)

DT can stay if Elektron would work on some Digital Drum Synthesis Engines.
the long long wait period has killed it so far

2 Likes

I totally agree, there is no rush, I’m waiting & seeing :slightly_smiling_face:

& thank you for the kind words Bradleyallen!

I have to say I am impressed after reading this manual, and anxious to get an OP-Z. There is something very special in the way the sequencer is approached, seems to be so flexible.

Of course I absolutely love Elektron gear, in my opinion, Elektron and TE aim for different things, and they do shine their different personalities through their gear.

We are lucky to be able to afford such instruments, back in my hometown (in Brasil), these instruments cost double the price for a regular person. Also living in 2018, where scoring a song can now happen while sitting on a park.

If you only think that instrument strings where made with sheep gut a while ago…
Crazy how some people can complain of everything.

3 Likes

I just read there is 25MB of user memory for samples which seems pretty generous given the size…

Of course the OP-Z has hardware expansion which is another dimension, there is already the strong rumour of a sample module with SD card slot and line in etc…

1 Like

Oh my, that’s wild! XD

If it makes a good espresso than Elektron has some serious competition, and is falling behind… :grin:

2 Likes

You need Bitwig for that…

7 Likes

Man, tempted to sell it all and go Bitwig then… :joy:
Think I’ll hold out and see who’s first to deliver coffee + quantized toaster sync, hopefully on OB2… Maybe OP-Z?
Been requesting this for ages… :grin:

2 Likes

I would LOVE if this was a really tiny octatrack. It’s not though.

any decent techn0 done online with the opz. the op1 did some wicked stuff.

It has 8 tracks of sample playback…it has p locks on the steps and fx…it has lots of fx, fx tracks and tape fx…

Who knows what they will release in the future to add to this with software updates (new downloadable synths and fx are promised there is an uploaded built in the app to manage this) their is nothing to say that it won’t be able to do what the Octatrack does, it has the processing power, just needs a hardware module with line in and storage (probaby SD rather than CF) and a new engine for sampling you could have a sampler powerhouse…I would personally bet my forthcoming OP-Z that this will happen, probably the second module after midi/cv (just based on so many of the beta testers referring to a module like that)

The swappable internal module has its own dedicated track on the OP-Z so when the cv module is in for example you will have a separate track and patterns with p locks etc for CV…this I assume would also be the case for a sampler module…they can basically make that track unique for each module.

You also have the master track that analyses the other (selected) tracks and lets you transpose in the sequencer (or real time) to create full complex and varying arrangements rather than static patterns…

‘the master track allows you to transpose selected tracks and create harmonic chord progressions. the OP-Z automatically analyses the notes used in the bass, lead, arp and chord tracks to determine the key of the pattern. using the piano keys it is then possible to change key / mode. use the dials to control the master effects and filter.’

3 Likes

Yeah! I think this is a particularly awesome feature.

Deluge does that too.

1 Like

That’s awesome, I didn’t know! I keep eyeing the Deluge. We are so lucky to have all these amazing devices around us!!

1 Like

‘the OP-Z automatically analyses the notes used in the bass, lead, arp and chord tracks to determine the key of the pattern.’
I wonder if this will work over MIDI? I guess you would want to make sure the MIDI being sent on those tracks is also going to a “bass, lead, arp & chord” patch on your synth/s?

Can you add FX to it to make it sound textured?