Teenage Engineering OP-Z

have it listed for €420 with official soft bag & new oversynth overlay.

dunno exactly what it’s worth. seemed about right but I’m open to correction :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

here’s the ad:
http://www.adverts.ie/25266383

that’s not too bad actually

1 Like

Wondering what people’s thoughts are on a logical next step ‘up’ for a sequencer/heart/brain of a setup is from an OP-Z? Doesn’t have to be as tiny, but portable is a bonus.

I’ve been thinking about MPC One (I used to have an MPC2000XL way back so I’d guess it would make sense to me). But the video I watched involved a lot of screen time.

Alternatively I’m curious about a Circuit Tracks with a Circuit Rhythm. 4 drums, 2 poly synths, 2 midi synths, 8 sample tracks. A lot to play with.

Never tried Elektron.

1 Like

I “upgraded” (not really, I kept the OP-Z and still love it) to a Deluge. It feels like it very much fills the holes that OP-Z had for me:

1. Bigger sample library
  2. Easier sample chopping
  3. More sound design possibilities/more flexible synth engines
  4. Fluid/arbitrary sequence length
  5. Ability to zoom in the sequence resolution! (probably my biggest gripe about OP-Z sequencing)
  6. Scale mode
  7. Isomorphic button layout (I’m a guitar player originally, not a keys player)

I’m a bit of an apologist for the synth engines on OP-Z, actually, but the synths on Deluge just provide a lot more control and way more modulation sources and effects.

3 Likes

it depends what ya like most about Z and what your budget is

the novation boxes seem nice

also either elektron M:S or Digitakt might be what you’d enjoy (if trying to avoid to much done on screens)

polyend tracker maybe??

1 Like

I´ve had no issues with the FREKVENS pillow.

1 Like

The thing is that the OP-Z is unique as a sequencer.

I’ve never heard of those step components on any other device or plugin. Using the sequencer is so fluid and intuitive, even compared to Elektron boxes.

And I love that there’s a keyboard for note entry as well as the sequencer buttons.

Where it fails is in the sound design (I don’t like the synths, and controlling them is awkward; and in sampling. The OP-1 sampler is amazing. The OP-Z adds too many barriers.

3 Likes

One thing people dont really talk about is using sequencers to record into other sequencers…
For instance if you have a really Nice stundom synth with an internal sequencer which is a spin to program (looking at you Tempest) using a groovebox like the OP-Z which can land you awesome results really fast is a great way to record sequences onto that other synth…

Right now I’m using the OP-1 to record sequences onto my Tempest and the process is really enjoyable…

5 Likes

I have used the OP-Z to sequence the OP-1, and recorded the result to the OP-1’s tape. It works surprisingly well.

3 Likes

Here is an interresting example of how the opz can be used as a sequencer with an external sound module (here ableton and u-he diva) https://youtu.be/oS5rRuWC1ok

I have been considering using the same approach but with Drambo on an ipad as the sound module.

2 Likes

Good shout I’d forgotten about the Deluge. I’d need to re-investigate…

This is what the OP-Z needs. I like and use about 50% of the synth engines, but really I just want deeper control of the synth, a second LFO which can target more parameters (and while we’re at it an EQ).

Yeah I use very few of the internal synth engines, mostly use samples in mine, I have a bunch of tone kits for use in the ]|>- track which allows an extra melodic track.

1 Like

I think a super simple SH-101 style synth engine would work really well. Four encoders assigned to ADSR, wave form / noise mixer, cutoff/resonance/env/key track, usual lfo page. Pretty much covers it.

1 Like

Interested to know how you manage your own synth track samples, because I find 10 (including a few of their engines I do like) quite limited…

Are you constantly backing up and changing up synth engines?

Or I’ve heard about people flipping kits using the app but I didn’t quite understand so maybe I misunderstood…

I unload all the engines I don’t use (which is all except 3 or 4) then load in synth samples which have enough scope to shape a bit using filter, envelope, LFO etc.

And I also load hihat track and wave track with tone kits, which allows for more additional sounds, for example short plucks, arp sounds, acid, staccato bass, etc.

Here is a link to one of my sample packs which use these techniques Operator202 MC-202 sample pack for OP-1 and OP-Z - Payhip

Demos here:

That was all done with the same sample pack (actually a portion of it) no synth engines, you can load quite a lot in there, but the whole pack won’t fit, IIRC around 30 synth samples, 30 tone kits and 3 drum kits were what I loaded in.

4 Likes

Nice! I saw the mc202 pack posted in op-forums a while back. Sounds cool. On the list to get!

Not sure I understand what a tone kit is though? Individual synth samples on a drum track that you manually pitch up or down to make hits and melodies in the correct key?

1 Like

24 samples of the synth at the same key as they are assigned, so you use them for melodic rather than drum/percussion.

1 Like

All good suggestions. Before getting OP-Z I considered model:samples (a bit limited as a midi brain with only 6 tracks) a digitakt (a bit expensive) and polyend tracker (not familiar with trackers).

Digitakt would make sense. I think polyend are working on a new groovebox based on pics from an event.

I think the circuit intrigues me most because it is dual poly synth so could integrate with op-z purely for that and be a gateway to a new sequencer setup…

1 Like

never used the other two but i have DT and it could be a good choice…i just never paired it w/ z for making a track

personally i use norns as my main companion for opz

not sure it’s worth recommending but i use them together all the time (if you’d considered it already maybe this is a slight nudge to try for yourself)

i actually forgot about this, thanks for jogging my memory…and yes i definitely wanna try that

1 Like

Looks like we have to wait till May next year.

2 Likes