Teenage Engineering OP-Z

I think it is because of the build quality, it is a great device but not built to last, the small size, crappy non repairable buttons and plastic construction are not really suitable for a musical instrument, which typically people would want to use for years, especially given the price and what else can be bought for the same money.

I hardly use mine because of the flimsy build, a real shame because it has some nice sequencing features, if a bit tedious and fiddly due to the buttons.

2 Likes

I like my opz and I’ll never sell it but part of that reason is because of the bend and loose encoders and I wouldn’t like potential disappointed buyers

mine is immaculate & no one will buy it :joy:

:sob:

1 Like

I’ve toyed with the idea of taking my bent OP-Z apart, taking precise measurements of the plastic body/enclosure and going to a local CNC workshop and ordering a new body made from brushed aluminium. Maybe all the other parts too. Then putting the brains back in the new metal body and put it all back together.

I’ll make an unbreakable Cyborg/Robocop version of the OP-Z.

12 Likes

Mine is absolutely perfect WITH digdugdiy trrs I/o, oplab, foldup canvas case, and synthdawg printed notebook. Again, I might trade it. It’s weird that all the sudden no one can get rid of them. Yes, the build quality is pretty sketchy on some of them but that’s been a known issue and people still bought them. Now that I think of it, the sequencer does do some amazing stuff. Hmmm…

It’s also a product that shines as a travel companion. Though we’re seeing a little more of it, there’s still not many people travelling these days.

1 Like

I’ve got an OP-Z – actually on my second. I returned the first because of bending and double triggers. The second one has a bend and double triggers… So I’m also frustrated by the build quality.

But I’ve got a simple solution for the encoders that pop out. I used some plumber’s tape (non-sticky teflon tape) around the base and shoved it back in, and now it works perfectly (and most importantly, stays in place). And I don’t need to worry about anything permanent, since the tape is not sticky and is non-reactive. Seems like a better solution than glue.

1 Like

Thought the same once and then gave up on it due to potential loss of its bluetooth capability due to the metal encasing. We should target for something rigid, but something transmissive for wireless.

1 Like

Had 3 crap ones, 2 currently ok but both bent from brand new, I expect that the buttons will eventually go bad as the others did, a shame, seems quite dogmatic that they have not done any hardware revisions to fix these widely reported problems.

1 Like

Yep - I really like mine but am really quite cross at the crap quality and the lack of any plan from TE. I feel like I have to treat it with kid gloves. The Oplab issue was just ridiculous - I tried wedging it/jamming it in. In the end I returned it and got sent the V2 version of the oplab module. It’s so frustrating - ithe OPZ is so close to being amazing but TE are so poor at quality and actual physical design…

Op-z ticks so many boxes for me, but I just can’t justify paying almost $900CAD after seeing so many issues with the build. If TE did a hardware revision I would buy it in a heartbeat!

The quality issues are a real thing unfortunately. But I absolutely love the op-z, I think it’s such a unique and special instrument. I always plan on having one, though who knows if my current one will crap out eventually! It’s the same one from the first batch!

1 Like

Hate to say it, because it makes me look like a dumb sucker, but apart from Pocket Operators I had issues with every TE product I ever purchased, OP-1 kept needing replacement mic (x2 replacements), OG Oplab board had to be replaced as it stopped working, PO400 Modular PSU needed replacing, and various other quality issues. ZM1 Oplab not fitting properly and catch not strong enough.

With electronic gear it is inevitable that a small percentage of units might get faults, but the sheer number of TE customers that have the same problems is more than just bad luck, it is due to lacklustre workmanship, and also poor customer service.

After the OP-Z I won’t buy their gear anymore, a real shame because obviously I like things about their gear, but not their practices, nor their customers who defend the indefensible.

9 Likes

No - I agree completely - The OP-Z and Oplab module are the first and last TE products I’ll buy (which is a shame as I’ve always fancied an OP-1 !)

I have 3 OP-Z (Im a beta tester and was gifted 2) and i have to say that the build quality are very different on all three copies…

My first one is from the first batch with the old graphics and that sucker is slightly bent, double triggers like a mofo and the blue dial is ghost turning.

But the other two are not only without any issues they also feel a lot sturdier both in the build and buttons…

My guess (as a mechanical engineer) is that they have tightened the tolerances with each batch they produce and with it comes a greater quality… you see this sort of thing in the automotive industry all the time… if you’re buying a new car the best value comes from the classic edition cars where they are running the last batch of that generation because all the kinks have been sorted by then…

With that said I absolutely adore my TE products, I don’t use them all the time but I really enjoy using them when I do.

2 Likes

I think it was you who suggested it to me on here? But i bought the oxi spray stuff and haven’t had a double trig since. Using it became instantly more enjoyable so thank you

2 Likes

I do love my OP-Z, it is quick, fun, and capable. But the build quality is clearly not right. Those issues plus some synth and sampling limitations are really frustrating, and keep me considering other gear as the heart of the setup.

I think if the OP-Z was in a slightly larger but still portable form like an OP-1, and therefore less fiddly to operate, with a sturdier build, then people would take it much more seriously as an instrument and have less ‘haters’/frustrated users.

I’d happily lose the visuals tracks too (and I’m a designer). Swap out track 15,16 (DMX, photomatic) for more sample or synth tracks, extra effects tracks or more tape tracks, or even just midi tracks with step components, and you have a super bit of kit.

4 Likes

Yeah if it was built like OP-1 even, would be much better.

I’m no hater, a bit frustrated but still enjoy the functions as most do, but I prefer to give an honest account of my experience, they don’t give me free ones, though I did beta test OP-1 and Oplab, but I was a customer of theirs before it was the done thing to give freebies out, as it seems to be nowadays.

Not salty about that, but would never be an early adopter for TE gear again.

2 Likes

The one I had was rock solid. I just didn’t use it enough and in over 2 years it never made it onto one recording and I record something most days. I did mess with the sequencer with ORCA - which made it way more fun for me as it seemed to be fighting itself and producing way more unexpected stuff.
All in all I found it gimmicky and I think the main reason I never recorded anything was because I didn’t like how the synth engines sounded even though they are fairly flexible.
I had been trying to sell it for a year. Ironically I finally sold it for 400 euros to a young teenager.

what’s your asking price?
tbh i think opz is kinda overpriced new and that trickles down to the secondhand market since users are trying to recoup their money

i’ve wanted a 2nd one for a long time but never see em for reasonable prices

so i basically gave up hunting

2 Likes