Teenage Engineering OP-Z

sounds great man, good job!

1 Like

Instant buy!
And I realise your name is Daren Ager, and not Dare Nager as I was pronouncing it in my head :smiley:

1 Like

ive been saying Da Ranger in my empty cavity…

2 Likes

@qlamerand thanks I hope you enjoy the sounds :+1:

Funny enough a friend of mine used to call me Dare.

2 Likes

Whoa, that video is so good!! Love it and the song.

2 Likes

Thank you, it (video) was quite painstaking (and painful!) to make, it kind of fought me all the way, due to buggy software issues, but after so many hours of working on it, I wasn’t going to throw the towel in :slight_smile: I think that was attempt 29 or 30, and there are still a couple of errors in the final render, but it was literally the best one out of all the failures.

Still, I learned a bit along the way, so all ok in the end!

2 Likes

Nice video, it came up on my IG while browsing.

I found that the OP-1 serves as an excellent FX box for my MC-202, so that’s some great timing!

1 Like

Very nice video! Awesome work :smiley:

1 Like

nice!

1 Like

In the end I decided to give the OP-1 a try. I think I was right to sell the OP-Z, but I missed having a portable, battery-powered groovebox. The only real alternative for me was the Deluge, since it’s also battery-powered and can do just about everything. I decided on the OP-1 over the Deluge for three reasons: (1) size, (2) I think it’ll be easier to sell the OP-1 (for the cost of a Deluge) if I don’t gel with it, and (3) I think I need to get away from 16-step sequencing. Also it’s pretty.

I haven’t had it long, but I think I made the right choice. I like the way the OP-1 discourages me from relying on sequencers. And I’m the kind of anal retentive person who will set a value at 30 instead of 31 because round numbers “feel” better, instead of just using my ears. Since so many of the OP-1’s values are obscured, I don’t even know where the round numbers are.

Plus—and this is the real key—the build quality and sturdiness seem way better than the OP-Z. Which they should be for twice the price. But what I really want is a very portable groovebox that won’t bend and break easily, and I think the OP-1 will do nicely.

Edit 4 months later: I changed my mind. It turns out I like sequencing. I like tweaking parameters until it’s just right. The OP-1 is more of a looper for capturing a musical phrase in the moment. I thought I wanted that, but it doesn’t work for me. It’s hard to leave, then come back and pick up where you left off. And I don’t love the instruments enough to use it just as an instrument. I don’t think I made even one full track on the OP-1 in that time. So it’s going up for sale.

2 Likes

Anyone seen these? coming soon, interesting to hear how they ergonomically change the experience with the synth. OP-Z grip knobs kit - teenage engineering

2 Likes

Just grab some lego parts+wheels. Done. :wink:

1 Like

Very true, I don’t have an OPZ to test lego parts with unfortunately though. I just saw them on the TE store and thought they might be handy for others.

I think the OP-Z’s standard knobs are one of its best features. They’re much better suited to the way human fingers work than twisty knobs.

In other news, I turned my OP-Z on yesterday to record some mixdowns, and all my projects were gone. Total reset, although samples were still intact. :frowning:

I usually have auto backups happen every time I plug it in, but I’d disabled them for some reason. Those are going back on!

1 Like

The + shaped holes on the encoders are pretty shallow, I found that knobs come out too easily to be useful, for a engineering/design company they sure do make a lot of rookie mistakes IMHO.

5 Likes

To be fair i think it has to do with the shallowness of the encoders themselves… not much to work with…

What I don’t get is why didn’t they add a Lego rod or hole one the power/volume knob?

One of my favorite designs I did for the power knob was a round knob with Lego insert in it…

I can’t seem to get rid of mine. Need some extra cash for Christmas and I don’t use it anymore. It’s very strange, these used to move quickly, especially with all the extras thrown in. It’s becoming an albatross. I may end up just trading it for something but, still trying to decide. Watch, I’ll sell it and just like the Digitakt I sold, that very day they will put out a major update blowing minds everywhere.

3 Likes

Are the dials themselves easily replaceable? Could even be worth grabbing a set so you can just glue the knobs in if that’s possible. Obv wouldn’t want to do it permanently on the device probably

Do you have a digitone you could sell? :wink:

3 Likes

Nope. Keeping that.

1 Like