Teenage Engineering OP-Z

I unload all the engines I don’t use (which is all except 3 or 4) then load in synth samples which have enough scope to shape a bit using filter, envelope, LFO etc.

And I also load hihat track and wave track with tone kits, which allows for more additional sounds, for example short plucks, arp sounds, acid, staccato bass, etc.

Here is a link to one of my sample packs which use these techniques Operator202 MC-202 sample pack for OP-1 and OP-Z - Payhip

Demos here:

That was all done with the same sample pack (actually a portion of it) no synth engines, you can load quite a lot in there, but the whole pack won’t fit, IIRC around 30 synth samples, 30 tone kits and 3 drum kits were what I loaded in.

4 Likes

Nice! I saw the mc202 pack posted in op-forums a while back. Sounds cool. On the list to get!

Not sure I understand what a tone kit is though? Individual synth samples on a drum track that you manually pitch up or down to make hits and melodies in the correct key?

1 Like

24 samples of the synth at the same key as they are assigned, so you use them for melodic rather than drum/percussion.

1 Like

All good suggestions. Before getting OP-Z I considered model:samples (a bit limited as a midi brain with only 6 tracks) a digitakt (a bit expensive) and polyend tracker (not familiar with trackers).

Digitakt would make sense. I think polyend are working on a new groovebox based on pics from an event.

I think the circuit intrigues me most because it is dual poly synth so could integrate with op-z purely for that and be a gateway to a new sequencer setup…

1 Like

never used the other two but i have DT and it could be a good choice…i just never paired it w/ z for making a track

personally i use norns as my main companion for opz

not sure it’s worth recommending but i use them together all the time (if you’d considered it already maybe this is a slight nudge to try for yourself)

i actually forgot about this, thanks for jogging my memory…and yes i definitely wanna try that

1 Like

Looks like we have to wait till May next year.

2 Likes

Norns looks interesting but I doubt I fully comprehend it.

Is it a synth? Is it multi-timbral and it handle multiple midi channels? I know it does effects and unique looping and sequencing.

1 Like

It’s an audio/midi computer that can (depending on the script/app that you are using at the time) be a sampler, sequencer, synth, audio looper and probably lots more.

I’m pretty sure that depends on the script/app that you are using at the time.

I should probably stop here as I don’t own one, but I have looked into them.

2 Likes

After selling my OP-Z at beginging of lockdown as it was more a travel buddy than a studio brain for me, I was toying with buying another now that things are a bit more open, then I saw the dirtywave M8 so keeping my eyes peeled for more of those becoming available.

1 Like

pretty good answers but i like to simplify it, especially if someone is approaching norns as an instrument (rather than trying to create code themselves)

with that in mind:

yes…it’s a digital synth w/ several modes or modules (most of which are both polyphonic and multitimbral)

bidiwave is wavetable synth inspired by ppg/waldorf machines

molly the polly is a polyphonic synth modeled after classics by Roland and Yamaha (Juno 6 / Jupiter 8 / CS 80)

some, like mx synths, have several ready made presets you can quickly cycle thru or modify…

the majority are variations on fm synthesis, for example this new 3op synth called orgn…

(all synth “engines” are based on supercollider but you don’t need to write code to use them, just select one from the app menu…plug in your opz and play)

3 Likes

I loved my OP-Z until I got the M8. I need to pull the OP-Z back out and try to do a comparison in my head to decide which one is going with me on vacation in January.

On the other hand, we’re probably driving — so I could take both!

nineteen quid! they are kinda hilarious…

I’m tempted to get a new one. I’ve had mine since they first came out. It’s starting to become unreliable for button presses and the wheels popping out. I always kept mine in a case, never handled it too roughly.

I’ve heard conflicting things, that the quality is much improved now and also that there’s no difference and still problems.

I freaking love the opz. Wish it were built a little better…

I finally sold mine. I miss it every now and then but the op-1 is still around. The op-z has an insane sequencer; very powerful.

3 Likes

I think my op-z heard me talking about it. Now it won’t turn on at all. Dead.

Tried taking out the battery and some other stuff. Nothing! Not cool!

The knobs of out because they put the magnets in backwards, you can turn them around but that shouldn’t be a problem anymore. Mine is still perfect and still love it most!! OP1 build quality is not any better either… Despite what you may think… all TE stuff sucks as far as that goes… But damn are they fun! Lol

I wonder how much that would cost. You’d still be left with potential button failure but it would be very cool

1 Like

Check the OP Forums for details, but you can flip your encoders so the magnets don’t push them out, and also use switch cleaner to fix the buttons.

the Z sequencer is so damn good. why they don’t make an op-Y / op-2 or somink [op1 size or a bit bigger than z, metal build, oled screen, opz sequencer etc] is beyond me.

would be an insta-buy

4 Likes

Totally agree. Seems a no-brainer to put the op-z into a bigger (but still portable) build, ditch the photo/video stuff to make room for more storage of samples, synths, fx slots…

4 Likes