Teenage Engeering PO-33 Sampler

@hotscience yes there is a small slot for the mic, don’t forget though you can still use line in.

@pselodux ha, as soon as I opened mine that was the first thing I did, like some compulsion to do it :smiley: (same with all the other PO’s I bought)

1 Like

I pretty much only use the line in anyway, but I’m concerned about damaging the mic if I use a 10/20 series case. Thanks for the reply!

1 Like

I just compared the cases and the new ones have a slightly recessed slot going across inside which allows clearance for the mic, the old ones do not have it, I would not risk it mate.

3 Likes

Thanks for checking buddy! I’ll just buy a couple CA-X :slight_smile:

1 Like

Happy to check, wouldn’t want you to damage the little chap!

1 Like

Put in my order at Sugarwater for dat 33 and the case. They are currently out of stock, hope I’m not waiting for weeks/months!

Yeah if I get mine before March I’ll be happy for sure. I have my hands full transitioning from a Boss looper to the Octatrack as a looper right now anyways, but the 33 is definitely exciting me with possibility

Don’t know if I’m missing something but is there a way to turn on a metronome to play something into it live?

Is there any way to adjust the input gain via line in?

Just hooked up my iPhone 8+ via headphone adapter + aux cable and the sound was very quiet even on max volume. I can use an interface, but I was hoping for something more on-the-go.

I don’t think there is a way to do that. Stupid question, did you check your iPhone settings to see if volume limit is turned on? I sample from my 6s and I have to the volume at about 50% because it’s loud.

1 Like

yeh, gainstage from your phone. Make sure the aux cable connection is solid (both channels should hit around the same peaks in the case of centered mono samples). Normalize or add peaklimiting to get more level if needed. Aux cables are notorious for bad contacts, for a number of reasons.

1 Like

Not yet, my rep did tell me that I was at the end of the list cuz I just ordered recently.

He also told me I should be getting mine next week. Good to know they got a batch finally!

You guys in America?

I got mine in UK in 24hrs of ordering. They more scarce in the states?

Anyone on the west coast got theirs yet?

Pre ordered from
Perfect circuit way back and no love :frowning:

I ordered a PO-33 direct from TE and it came to me in California a few weeks back.

Currently I’m loving mine. It hits my sweet spots in a lot of ways. I carry it in my coat pocket and record little pieces of my day. If I overhear an interesting conversation on the street as I’m walking, I take it out and press two buttons, and it’s recording. The other day I was walking on the street and heard a kid ask his mom, “What about the ogre that lives upstairs?” and she said “The ogre that lives upstairs? Oh, he doesn’t have diabetes.” There’s no way I would have captured that gem with a bulkier field recorder, or my smartphone once I open its recording app. The pocketability and immediacy of the PO-33 meant I could.

And then once I record, I can get lost for 30 minutes exploring the rhythmic and tonal possibilities of shaping my samples. I think 99% of the music produced with a PO-33 will be “beats”, but I’m interested in unconventional applications like drone, ambient, experimental, noise, etc. and I think this little thing holds up for playing “outside of the lines”, so to speak. For me the key is accepting that the PO-33 is only the beginning of the process - it’s further sample fodder for my DAW, and then the possibilities are endless.

Loooove.

5 Likes

P.S. Now that I sprung for the CA-X case, I couldn’t do without it. If you’re on the fence, get the case. Especially since you’ll be taking the PO-33 everywhere you go.

1 Like

Mine should be arriving tommorow. Hopefully before I go to work! I work at a tea house with all kinds of interesting cups and teapots to sample, stoked to bring my 33 up in there!

3 Likes

I plan on using it mainly for field recordings too and imagine it will help add a lot of texture to all my projects sitting on my DT/OT.

I have a po-32 and a microgranny and plan on bringing them with me on hikes long rides and traveling for a little portable rig but I agree I think at least for me it’ll be best used to just collect sounds to process later.

I’ve had a micro cassette recorder, a small tascam recorder and of course a phone but I’ve never felt I’ve been inspired to pull them out whenever I hear things I’m hoping the KO will get a lot more use.

Being able to change start/end points, pitch and add efx with something that can fit in ur pocket seems like it’ll fill a much needed void

2 Likes

I’m hoping to use mine mostly as a loop creator for my OT. I will definitely try my hand at a full track using just the 33 though. I’m even on the lookout for pocket tee shirts at the thrift store to help me keep it right at hand at all times

Got my 33 And case today. Dunno why I thought it would have batteries included tho derrrp . Oh well to the store before work then! Loving how the 33 and my little Zoom Lightning XY mic fits perfectly in a lil case I used to use for weed pipes. Carry that and my iPad plus headphones and I’ve got a mini OT food studio!

1 Like