TD-3 or TT-bass bot?

I had an annoying experience with Cyclone Analogic too.
I bought my TT606 used, and the BD, SN, and TOM vol pots had a weird issue where they would crackle quite loudly when being adjusted, but it wasn’t just a dirty pot; it only happened while these voices were making sound. If you adjusted the levels while those tracks were muted at the sequencer level, it was alright. It was annoying but I worked with it for awhile then sold it.

I did contact them about it and they didn’t seem to believe me that it wasn’t dirty pots. After giving up trying to convince them, I tried getting the part # for the pots and they ignored me. FWIW I was not impatient or rude in any way about it. But after that I’ve had a bad taste from them. And their products don’t quite nail the sound. I’ve also had the TT78. The sequencers are quite good in theory but I hated those rubber buttons.

The TD3 sounds far superior to the TT303, and truer to the TB303.
I also have an Avalon and a x0xb0x, and the TD3 surprised me by how good it sounds. I’ve got another on order :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have the TD3 now. I owned a real 303 a long time ago and forgot the details of its character.

Not a fan of Behringer either.

But with all that said, the TD3 is a lot of fun and sounds really good! I’m running it through my Mackie 1202 and cracking the gains to the max.

I’ve also run it through my UAD Kulture Vulture and it sounds even crazier!

The onboard distortion is great to but you have to dial it in just so you don’t lose the weight of the acid.

I personally like the sequencer as well. But here’s what I do.

Hit the 2 buttons to make a random sequence. Then randomly input the timing. Maybe random input some slides, accents, and transpositions. With all that, I’ve come up with some super funky acid lines. I’ll have more to post soon. But I posted a quick demo in the TD3 thread.

My understanding is that a lot of the classic acid lines were made using the old randomize trick on the OG 303. Batteries out and in.

The TD3 has some soul. I’ve put a sticker over the Behringer label so that’s not even a thing for me anymore.

And this thing is $150 US. That’s crazy

2 Likes

Yea it’s super unfortunate that Perfect Circuit didn’t just exhibit some good modern customer service and replace your unit.
That’s what Sweetwater would have done, no questions asked, no back and forth run around between you, them, and the manufacturer.

Even though I’ve only had good experiences with them, I wish Perfect Circuit wasn’t the sole distributor of Cyclone gear in the USA.
They aren’t doing much to earn it, and they lost a bunch of customers thanks to this (well, at least you and me)

1 Like

My black TT-303 will be waiting for me when I get to a hotel in Vegas on Monday (after 23 hours’ travel from Australia).

I’ll defy heavy jet lag to give it a thorough work-out, though, since I’ve only got four days to discover any issues before I head home.

I’m also facing days of intensely suit-filled conference action on The Strip so can’t wait for my self-administered acid antidote in the evenings!

4 Likes

black TT-303 will look real good between that TT-606 and OT MK2 !

1 Like

That TT-606 has been hassling me for another pal for ages! :slight_smile:

Well…WOW.
All I can say.
First the difference between my old TB3 Aira - which I love for it’s different sounds and semi randomiser seq. and the sound of TT303 on head phones as I tested it. BIG difference.
But also @heckadecimal saying you prefer TD to TT. I dont doubt you for a second that is your xp.
I dropped 240 ukp on this from cash converters anyway talked down £30.
I bidded on one on Ebay that went else where for £198 on this day too.
Maybe I over spent but it does sound good and I’ll try to get my money’s worth from the bot brain seq.
Thanks all - for the input here in guiding us through this purchase, very much appreciated fellows :slightly_smiling_face::slightly_smiling_face: Acieeed!

2 Likes

Oh I got a lid with manual etc,
may help me stomach the price.

1 Like

After all this reading im really thinking of acquiring another tt303 (i have already 2xtt303 v1 and v2). All these trimmer adjustments made me really intriguing. Will try this out later :slight_smile:

Big thanks!

Maybe i should drop my preorder for yellow td3, as thomann keeps postponing my delivery.

Oh dear.
Just read behringers web site trying to see if td-3 has sync in.
Really should not of bothered- talk about ego. All this rubbish about being able to create any sound imaginable (?) , plus how many knobs it had then finally a history lesson on electronic synths past 100 years ending in Ulis amazing family background and genius setting up Behringer.
Bad :grimacing:
Of course he didn’t tell me what I was looking for- I had forgot Google images, then went back to that.

2 Likes

Seems I’m missing out on sync in and the built in distortion of the TD-3, but the sound out the box of TT is amazing ,so bassy and rich - and that bot generates some brilliant sequencers that I would never program, yet so simple. Seems a step up from pure random or happy accident OG TB303 type generation.
Love the 9 bot personalities, still not progressed to the lab mutator editor.

2 Likes

I may buy a TĎ one day ,but I think it’ll be 2nd hand.
I’d like to compare the sound of both.

I just returned my TD3. The sequencer was a drag. Just got the TT-303 v2 and absolutely love the sequencer, arp and tons of other features.

Out of the tb-03, Avalon, etc etc that I’ve tried, tt-303 v2 is my favorite to play with. The Avalon was incredibly cool though.

2 Likes

I cannot comment on the TD-3, but I have had my bass bot mk2 for a couple years and I think it is great. It sounds great, has an amazing sequencer, and is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it

1 Like

One other thing about the TT-303 is that you can overwrite the “preset” patterns with your own by copying over them.

In what way did it not work? Just curious.

The TD-3 works great, totally bug free after the last firmware update. I think anyone who says it just doesn’t work either has a faulty unit or it’s user error.

I’m not a total TD-3 snob though, I can see the appeal of the TT-303. One thing I don’t like about the TD is you can’t send slides over MIDI (with overlapping notes) which you can with most other clones including the TT. But I’ve owned a TT before and I much prefer the sound of the TD so I’m going to stick with that for now. Im hoping they add slides over MIDI in an update, if they do I’ll be a happy man.

Isn’t the TD-3 based on the x0x-heart? I thought I read somewhere that it was, so it should be easy enough for the firmware to support slides over midi.

I’m guessing I have a faulty unit–I wasn’t implying that nobody’s machine would work. Just raising a concern about quality control. If yours is working well, I’m glad for you! Mine was having issues out of the gate, and finally just stopped working (became unresponsive even after multiple resets).

Ayy–I just realized that my kid had been playing with my TD-3 and changed the clock settings by pushing random buttons (he’s 4)! So it DOES work, and it was my error. Sorry for the false alarm, and I’ve deleted my OP to avoid giving false information to anyone else. :flushed:

7 Likes