TD-3 or TT-bass bot?

Cheaper here, it’s the standard model though. https://www.juno.co.uk/products/cyclone-analogic-bass-bot-tt303-monophonic-analogue/636543-01/

1 Like

Another one to consider is the boutique TB-03, it isn’t analog obviously but has a very nice sound, a larger note range, full midi cc, the distortion effect is a bit naff if too high, but the delay and reverb are usable.

4 Likes

Anyone know what the note range is for the TD-3?

It receives midi notes numbers 48-100 (C3-E7) and transmits 48-96 (C3-C7)

Same here…The TD-3 mods are very impressive and it seems to sound georgous, but I’d rather get the Bass Bot. The seq is amazing and I like the sound. Each time I play with a Bass Bot, it’s so much fun^^

I’ve been thinking about buying one for the past few months, but there were other things I had to spend money on…

4 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Here is a better pic of the TT-303 pcb, the cutoff trimmer is a “window” type adjustment setting the range of the knob, so higher trimmer setting moves the whole range of the knob higher, lower setting moves the range lower, so if you like very bassy 303 sounds reduce it a little, if you like the more trebly acid move increase it a bit.
The resonance trimmer sets the upper limit of the resonance, since the 303 filter doesn’t self oscillate properly the higher setting results in a bit of an unpleasant whistling, so probably only a slight increase here will do the job for most tastes.
Note that there is obviously some interaction between the trimmers, so changing one will impact the other, so you would probably want to spend about 15 minutes checking back and forth. Another tip is obviously to have some accents in the patterns when setting, and tweak the knobs to ensure the range you want is covered.
Playing around with the trimmers almost makes me want to get another, and have 1 set for bass and the other for trebly acid.

To save anyone the hassle TM3 the trimmer below the volume knob should be left alone as it only controls tuning/pitch cv width.

Also here is the TT-606 pcb

It has trimmers for clap noise/impact balance, and a noise level trimmer which affects all instruments that use noise. Quite good to increase for snappier snares, the impact on the other sounds aside from clap is negligible and can be tweaked a bit using the other trimmer. I made the clap and snare on mine sound a bit better by increasing the noise and reducing the clap impact a little.
I have not opened my TT-78 as it is currently up for sale.

8 Likes

Does the HH/CY have noise?

One of the things I always noticed being different to the TR-606 HH/CY was that the TT has less of that noise, and sounded more just like a cluster of oscillators.

What’s interesting about the TT-303 PCB is this interface section on the right hand side, the TT-606 doesn’t have it, it is probably used for debugging/calibration during manufacturing but it would be interesting to know what points are broken out to it. It looks like a cartridge edge PCB.

AFAIK the TT and TR-606 don’t use noise in the cymbals/hats, they just use the 6 detuned squarewave oscillators, I might be wrong though, it has been a while since I looked at the schematics. IIRC the Boss DR-110 did use noise in its cymbals and hats, I think it only used 4 squarewaves as well, so probably the noise was added to make them sound a little better.

2 Likes

Could be the VCA clipping, along with envelope behavior , that gave the TR that distinctive crunch. If no noise was present.

Sorry to go off topic , just realizing this is the 303 thread

2 Likes

I’d wait for the devilfish Behringer to become available, as it will probably have other mods as well.

1 Like

Fair point…
But the TTs a callin.

Am I tripping, wasn’t there lots of talk here on the boards recently about the build quality and support for cyclone analogic products being total crap? Maybe I’m thinking of something else, but I could have sworn… and now lots of folks are in here recommending them? Thought I had read some horror stories recently.

1 Like

Don’t know about support but build quality is good, decent pots and connectors, switches pretty well protected from dust and pot knobs are prevented from pushing down by the case on mkII. I think they seem built to last. But I do remember one user had a boot/firmware issue on a TT-606 IIRC.

1 Like

The circuits seem well made. Quality capacitors and the like. My second-hand TT-606 has been faultless during its 6 or so months of regular use.

Can’t speak to the support as I haven’t needed it. I can say that I’m happy enough to have a TT-303 en route to me from Perfect Circuit as I write this.

1 Like

@Cepheid had a bad experience with his TT-606 and Perfect Circuit’s dealing with a bad unit.

I had no issues with the two TT-606s I’ve owned.

2 Likes

I was going to mention that, lurking on this post here, but it seems I’m in the minority with my experience. Seems most others haven’t ran into issues with Cyclone Analogic gear. I thoroughly enjoyed the TT-606 I had while it lasted.

2 Likes

Oh word, ok cool everyone thanks for the info, I did always think they looked really rad!! Good to know they’re high quality.

Yeah, people sometimes complain about the support, or rather the lack of it. Can’t say anything about that, but it seems their support isn’t the best. Not sure if it’s always been this way or if they’re having some kind of issues, either way, just buy from a retailer with good return policy.

Nothing to complain about build quality, though! :wink:

3 Likes

I’ll chime in with my experience. I had the TT-606 go haywire on me and tried to reach out to Perfect Circuit Audio where I had originally purchased the device. They first told me to talk to Cyclone Analogic to process a warranty claim. Problem was I live in the US and they’re located out of France I believe. After a few emails sent to Cyclone, they eventually advised me that I’d actually have to go through the retailer to process a warranty replacement.

When Perfect Circuit Audio received the unit, It was deemed that the unit was not defective due to it being stuck in some type of mode that I myself could never figure out how to get out of, but they some how could. It was sent back to me in working order, but only for a day or so. It went back into this defective state and Perfect Circuit gave instruction on how to escape it, but I could never do it the say they described.

After being extremely frustrated, I asked for a replacement, but they said that the manufacturer “Cyclone Analogic” needs proof that the unit is defective to order replacement unit. Perfect Circuit stuck by, “Well, if we can get out of this glitchy defective mode, it’s actually not defective” big time bullshit run around! I’ve worked in the cellular phone industry troubleshooting devices for 6 years. Also been using / building computers since 286 / 386 MS-Dos era. I know how to reset electronics, I’m no dolt. I’m still baffled how they escaped this mode. Bottom line is, if it was randomly going to go into this mode, it’s defective! Imagine a live show scenario.

All in all it was more on Perfect Circuit Audio that dropped the ball on this. But I will say that Cyclone Analogic is not very responsive on their website. It took multiple emails and a few weeks to get a response. The whole experience soured the product for me completely.

5 Likes

I had the TD-3 and returned it to sweet water. I ordered the Bass Bot V2. The sequencer is too outdated for me on the TD3, the bass bot has so many cool features. I’ve had the Avalon, TB3, Tb-03 (which I love), MB-33, Volca NuBass. All great each with pros and cons! Super excited to get the bass bot today!