Tasty Chips GR-1 : Hardware Poly Granular Synth

Apology accepted :slight_smile: It does look amazing. Iā€™ve watched loads of videos on it ā€“ Loopopā€™s is the best one, as usual, even that bit at the start taking a prelude and turning it into chords was a ā€˜Hello!ā€™ moment for me. I reckon the bad videos are just a case of poor sample choice or uninspired settings ā€“ this even happens on the official TC videos.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been eyeing this device for a while now but you canā€™t buy everything the same year (or can you?). Iā€™ve bought a lot in the last 2 months (Peak, Hydrasynth, NDLR and Midihub), now itā€™s time to dive deeply and learn them well.

2 Likes

Agreed.

Wow, nice collection! Youā€™ll definitely be better off learning those before adding anything else. If I end up getting the GR-1, Iā€™ll come back here to post my thoughts. Thereā€™s not so much talk on here compared to other synths, which is odd, because it seems so unique in the hardware/non-modular world

2 Likes

Canā€™t wait.

1 Like

Has anyone seen this thing demoā€™ed in MPE mode?

Anyone acquire one of these lately and want to share opinions? Iā€™ve been unloading the majority of my synths and drum machines and am thinking I may pick a GR-1 up to pair with OT, DN, and Orville.

1 Like

I had been eyeballing this until I found something interesting in the gr1 manualā€¦. :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

This is a dope synth. Iā€™ve been trying to get away from the dependence of software for production and use hardware instruments for a while. Iā€™ve never jelled well with vsts (Iā€™m a drummer) and have always gotten distracted trying to do stuff on the computer.

If I can relegate my laptop to just recording and mixing, Iā€™ll be good. An instrument like this would be cool to have in my arsenal.

Yep, the GR-1 is a Raspberry Pi underneath. I remember I read it on their forum talking about the possibility of upgrading the hardware in the future or something like that.

1 Like

Hmmā€¦I have an extra rpi3 just sitting around and a pimoroni box with a few picoā€™s showed up last nightā€¦
This might be the new project.

Iā€™ve been aware of this one for the last couple of years. And sort of dismissed it because Iā€™m not into the granualar glitchy sound. But Iā€™ve been wanting a polyphonic sample player with the layout of a synth in hardware for a few years now. And first now Iā€™m realizing that I donā€™t have to use the granular site of the GR-1 :thinking:

5 Likes

Great work ! I love the whole thing Juan, you do a great job blending your playing in with the sounds coming from the GR-1.

I especially love the short section at 7 seconds in where you blend the ā€œkidsā€ voices with the simple bass line.

I donā€™t own a GR-1 ā€” this video is definitely a GAS generator.

1 Like

Thanks Jukka!
Iā€™m not going to lie, I almost sold it.
Putting on a single sample started to bore me.
But I started testing and putting a lot of samples on a single track and discovered this, this is why I show it.
The improvisation will have lasted an hour, but make the samples much much more.
You have to squeeze the Gr-1.
Greetings!

2 Likes

Have you used it with live sampling ? Itā€™s a little weird using a USB input device to do that, but iā€™m fine with that.

I posted this link before over in the SOMA COSMOS thread.

2 Likes

No, I donā€™t use it like that.
You lose many functions and variations that the gr-1 gives.
And youā€™re going to have to buy another sound card.
Better to work the samplers on the daw.
Gives better results!

1 Like

Mine outputs into a stereo channel, while at the same time receiving stereo input from aux 1 and aux 2 on my mixer. That way, I can easily switch (or mix) between live granular as a stereo effect on any channel and the GR-1 as a standalone box on its own channel. This does require an extra USB soundcard to get the live audio into the GR-1, so I picked up an inexpensive NI Komplete Audio 6 for that, which actually works better for this purpose than my AudioFuse Studio.

2 Likes

Do you send and receive the same signal from Gr-1?
Interesting!

The GR-1 receives whatever is getting sent to aux 1 and aux2. At the same time, itā€™s ouputting to its own stereo channel. If you mean I can send the GR-1 into itself by also sending it to aux 1 and aux 2, that is interesting, but Iā€™ve never given that a listen because the thing has been dedicated to live granular since Iā€™ve had it. That hasnā€™t been all that long, and I had like a month of mixer down time followed by a consuming new project, so Iā€™ve underused my GR-1 so far.

1 Like