Tasty Chips GR-1 : Hardware Poly Granular Synth

thanks Blipson, I’ll try it sometime, greetings!

I’ve purchased one recently and just waiting for it to arrive now. Ironically, the granular synthesis of this helped sell me on the Polyend Tracker and after playing with the (far more basic) granular synthesis on that on and off for the last 3 months, I decided to buy one of these.

Seems a bit quiet here, but hopefully this thread continues with more content.

How did you like the GR-1?

I think it’s great, but i’ve barely used it with the mostly good weather, combined with buying too much stuff at once. I can spend hours creating new, or bigger sounds out of familiar samples and it’s one of my favourite pieces of gear.

I’d give it a smiles factor of 9/10 because I get a lot of pleasure out of it’s sound design capabilities.

2 Likes

Nice. This is one of the only things that I feel I can’t get close to with software. Heavy GAS!

Mine shipped in late April. Passed through US customs at the beginning of June, and no update in tracking since.

Ok, I think I am close to pulling the trigger on one of these but I’ve got a few (basic) questions.

I’m interested in live sampling and playback and understand that it can do this but how? As in, I know I need a USB thing but what exactly do I need? And how does it work? I can’t quite get my head around how this works

Also, can I use this as part of a send/return FX loop? I’m using Ableton and have an FX loop going in and out of an audio interface at the moment.

Thank you

The USB thingy you need is a “class compliant” sound card. This is a a standard that allows many different systems to have drivers to run those USB devices correctly.

Check the manual, there is a section, page 38 in most recent manual, that lists Supported USB Sound Cards.

Enjoy your GR-1

ADDED: To clarify, i am using Tasty Chip’s language here when i’ve written ‘sound card’. That is their terminology for what is more often called an “audio interface”.

1 Like

Thanks for that - makes more sense now. And then RCA to 1/4 inch?

And this could then be used as part of an FX loop?

Can’t wait for it to arrive now!

Also, see the section of the manual with the title, “Audio Input.” I use a Komplete Audio 6. The Audio 6’s USB connects to the GR-1’s USB. Then, any audio going into the Audio 6’s 1/4-inch L and R jacks goes into the GR-1 live, and the 1/4-inch L and R outputs of the GR-1 are your processed signal in stereo. The Audio 6’s RCA jacks are for digital in/out.

1 Like

So this is theoretical, i’ve not read this anywhere or seen this discussed, nor have i tried it. Someone else can tell me this won’t work.

Since the GR-1 takes class compliant USB audio in, it should be able to accept digital class compliant USB audio from other sources too. I’m thinking like from a synth — for instance an Elektron Model:Cycle or Model:Sample.

Now obvious you could hook any synth into the GR-1 through a class compliant audio interface, but this direct USB connection would be a completely digital connection.

This occurred to me, posting to this thread on synths with USB audio interfaces.

Has anyone done this ?
Does this work ?

You can use a basic and cheap class compliant USB audio interface like the Behringer UCA202, which is what I use. It costs around £15 and allows me to use it anywhere around the house near a wall socket.

I don’t really use it as part of an FX loop, but I don’t see why it can be used that way.

I have just purchased a GR-1 and awaiting delivery, a similar point raised by Jukka is anyone using the GR-1 with the Digitakt using the class compliant linkage? I saw one video of sounds either from or via digitakt being played in to the GR-1 and it sounded great. Anyone else using in a similar way?

1 Like

This tickled me…might be an age thing.
Wavey lines back to a time: where you likely needed a desktop to handle any sort of audio because laptops didn’t have enough grunt.
~ ~ ~You’d add audio and midi capabilities by opening the case and adding a card into an IDE slot, a PCI slot if it was a little newer (or PCI Express Slot if you were flash)
If you started getting glitching, you might need to change slots or resolve an issue with your graphics card (I think they’re still a thing)
If you managed to finish a song (given the frequent crashes) then you’d burn it to CD…via an (likely) external CD-R.
Back up projects to a Zip drive (or SCSI hard drive if you were flash)
Play it back in your car via a discman linked to the car stereo via a minijack-cassette adapter
And then sound cards became audio interfaces ~ ~ ~
Reckon the tasty chips docs guy might be showing his age.
Off topic. Sorry. As you were.

1 Like

Did you end up using it with Digitakt?

Hi Craig,
Yes, I have. It works well as a combi. I haven’t done anything much with the class compliant element yet, however the multi mode on the GR-1 is superb when triggered by the digitakt. The possibilities are massive. So impressed with your stuff with digitakt and ether, amazing. You could do unbelievable things with a gr-1.

Best wishes

Craig (yes I’m also Craig)

1 Like

There’s only room for one of us round here :joy: But that’s cool (and thanks for the compliments). I’m thinking of ways to further smash things to pieces and live sampling bits of my DT stuff via the GR-1 class compliant USB input would do nicely, I think. I suppose it wouldn’t even matter if there was the occasional dropout / glitch. After all, my artist name is 100% Failure Within 72 Hours :slight_smile:

Ha ha great stuff. I know that Mick Harris (Scorn/Lull etc) is using one live,basically for drones/atmos. I haven’t tried it with anything percussive yet really, that could be interesting. There has been a recent firmware upgrade with new enhancements which you are probably aware of. Only thing lacking really are decent effects, reverb is not great.

1 Like

If it’s being used on a whole track (already full of reverb) is it serviceable as a background wash during breakdowns or intros/outros maybe?

Yes, I would say so, the very nature of the sound is so massive especially when you have four patches running concurrently

1 Like