Tasty Chips GR-1 : Hardware Poly Granular Synth

There’s only room for one of us round here :joy: But that’s cool (and thanks for the compliments). I’m thinking of ways to further smash things to pieces and live sampling bits of my DT stuff via the GR-1 class compliant USB input would do nicely, I think. I suppose it wouldn’t even matter if there was the occasional dropout / glitch. After all, my artist name is 100% Failure Within 72 Hours :slight_smile:

Ha ha great stuff. I know that Mick Harris (Scorn/Lull etc) is using one live,basically for drones/atmos. I haven’t tried it with anything percussive yet really, that could be interesting. There has been a recent firmware upgrade with new enhancements which you are probably aware of. Only thing lacking really are decent effects, reverb is not great.

1 Like

If it’s being used on a whole track (already full of reverb) is it serviceable as a background wash during breakdowns or intros/outros maybe?

Yes, I would say so, the very nature of the sound is so massive especially when you have four patches running concurrently

1 Like

I bought a GR-1 a couple of days ago and really love it. I have been looking for such an instrument for a long time. Now I need a small keyboard to play the GR-1. What do you guys use with it?

The GR-1 does MPE. Not sure how deep it goes but perhaps a keyboard with MPE.

ADDED : I put together a list of MPE controllers, over in the MPE Synth Controller Options Thread.

1 Like

I was thinking about a sensel morph with the buchla thunder overlay. Could be a great combo.

The Morph is hard to find, and no word when it will be available again.

Does anyone know if you can plug the Morph’s USB directly into the GR-1 ?

The Morph has its limitations, but has a lot of strengths too. ( I use one. )

1 Like

There’s a good chance I’m doing something wrong (I’ve only had the GR-1 for ~1 week) but I can’t get it to respond to my Sensel Morph + Buchla overlay while directly connected at all. It’s fine when going via my computer, but then using MPE mode = flooding my MIDI interface with messages on all channels, which means I’ve got to keep one output on the interface strictly for the GR-1, which I’m not super happy about doing.

I’m minded to blame the Morph rather than the GR-1 since it never seems to work the way I’d like or expect it to - and just FYI, it seems suspiciously like it’s being abandoned by Sensel given the state of the Sensel forum/lack of firmware updates, I’m not sure I could recommend purchasing one going into 2022… I did find one video on youtube of a guy using them together, so perhaps there is a way, but might require some Sensel app diving :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you for your help. Maybe MPE is overkill for me. Today I connected a Launchcontrol XL to the GR-1, which gives me the option to control more parameters in multitimbral mode.

What ever is best for you.

On the Tasty Chips FAQ page it says :

Q: There’s just one filter? Is it then paraphonic? How to use the gr-1 as a fully polyphonic device?

A: You can use MIDI MPE devices to achieve full polyphony. You can use sampled sweeps to emulate the polysynth’s typical filter envelopes. Without MPE it indeed is somewhat paraphonic.

1 Like

Next question for you GR-1 experts: Can I use the device as a usb midi host? I control my GR-1 with a Launchcontrol XL. Is it possible to send the CC messages from the Launchcontrol thru the GR-1 to the Analog Rytm? That would be great.

As someone who has wanted a hardware granular synth for a while, I’m not sure why I held off so long on the GR-1. Having four independent timbres, the playback/sample looping mode, a filter on every voice, etc. all makes the GR-1 an extremely flexible device for a song setup. The visual feedback makes it more enjoyable than my favourite software granular, and the hands-on control make it so much better to design sounds. It also sounds pretty good! I definitely waited too long on this one.

15 Likes

I was thinking the same thing today. One of the most inspiring instruments I have ever played. The live sampling blows my mind every time I use it.

Your video is superb!

2 Likes

Great stuff as always!

1 Like

I can’t wait to try the live sampling!

Useful tip that’s probably relevant for this forum: you need a USB audio interface for live sampling/granular, which is a bit of a pain, but if you have a Digitone kicking around you can connect it by USB to GR-1 and set it to transfer audio over USB and you can sample anything you like through the external ins or the Digitone’s synth voices themselves! I imagine it probably works just as well with the Digitakt too, though I don’t have one to try. They do note in the manual that Analog Heat doesn’t work for this, but I’m not sure why given the Digitone is fine. I might test it with mine to see what happens.

1 Like

Fantastic stuff!!! you make me wanna get both, a GR-1 and a Take 5 :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is a super fun idea!

That would be ace