MPE Synth/Controller options

…for such an ultra universal controler like the sensel…under 300 bux…under 40 bux for various dedicated overlays…also the developer one…which is the only one u really need, end of the day…that feels overpriced to u…?..while u can’t await the osmose for two grants…!?
hmmm…dunno…

1 Like

Sensel morph is the cheapest mpe controller right?

…as far as i know…yes.

but i got it in first place, because roli can’t deliver the seabord blox at the moment…
and i needed mpe right away for a certain project…so i took that road…instead…

i got conformation about a new delivery date for roli now…mid of april…

i’ll keep the sensel anyways…because mpe is just one of it’s many skills…
and also get the roli seaboard block, because that is more like a real music instrument that is nothing but ALL about mpe “only”…

and the sensel will become an universal and flexible controler surface for everything else from then on…

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty cheap: with a 3V floor, it won’t play low velocities.

1 Like

For an inexpensive MPE keyboard you can consider the ASM Hydrasynth Explorer when it is available. It will cost $600 USD.

The Sensel Morph is an inexpensive option if used for non-drumming uses.

1 Like

I put together a list of the options available for MPE Keyboard Controllers. I am trying to be complete, so if i am missing something let me know.

I’ve broken down the classification of these to three general areas :

• Type A - Standard Keyboards ( or very close )
  • Type B - Resembles a Standard Keyboard ( close but different )
  • Type C - Other Arrangements

The List

• Korg Keystage – (49, 61), Controller – Type A
  • Expressive E Osmose — (49), Synth — Type A
  • ASM Hydrasynth — Keys (49), Deluxe (73, with split), Synth — Type A
    =-=-=-=
  • ASM Hydrasynth — Explorer (37 mini keys), Synth — Type B+
  • KMI KBoard Pro 4 — (49) — Type B+
  • Sensel Morph, keyboard overlay — (24 mini keys) — Type B
  • Joué Play, keyboard overlay – (25 mini keys) — Type B
  • ROLI LumiType B
  • ROLI Seaboard Rise — various — Type B
    =-=-=-=
  • Ableton Push 3 — grid, controller and standalone — Type C
  • Haken Continuum — surface, three sizes, Synth — Type C
  • Aodyo Loom – surface, 25 keys – Type C
  • Linnstrument — grid, two sizes — Type C
  • Polyend / Dreadbox Medusa – grid, Synth – Type C
  • Madrona Labs Soundplane – grid – Type C
  • ASM Hydrasynth Desktop —grid (24 pads ), Synth — Type C
  • Joyst JV-1 – 39 game style joysticks – Type C
  • Striso Board – 61 key isomorphic key board – Type C
  • Intuitive Instruments - Exquis —hexagonal isomorphic — Type C
  • Sensel Morph, non-keyboard overlays — custom, various — Type C
  • Joué Play, non-keyboard overlays — custom, various — Type C
  • Embodme Erae Touch — custom, various— Type C
  • ROLI Lightpad — custom, vatious — Type C
  • KMI QuNexus — 25 blobs — Type C+
  • KMI K-Board-C — 25 blobs — Type C+
  • KMI QuNeo – 4x4 grid – Type C
  • KMI BopPad – drum surface – Type C
  • Artiphon Instrument 1 — Guitar like fingerboard — Type C
  • Zivix Jamstik Studio Midi Guitar – Guitar – Type C
  • Eigenlabs Eigenharp – A whatchamajigger – Type C

When considering a controller, you need to understand the details of the MPE implementations of both your target device, and your prospective controller. The MPE depth and dimensions of the devices above vary greatly.

Edits & Credits :

ADDED : Polyend / Dreadbox Medusa, Thank you craig !
ADDED : Hydrasynth Desktop. Thank you obscurerobot !
ADDED : Madrona Labs Soundplane, Thank you craig !
ADDED : Arturia MicroFreak. Thank you TBN !
ADDED : Artiphon Instrument 1, and Joué Play.
ADDED : Joyst JV-1.
ADDED : Striso Board and Eigenharp. Thank you thetechnobear !
EDIT : Improved order of Type C entries, added BopPad, added “Edits & Credits” section.
ADDED : Jamstik.
EDIT : Changed closing paragraph.
DELETED : Arturia MicroFreak. It is not really MPE, though it does have poly-aftertouch.
ADDED : QuNeo.
ADDED : K-Board-C
ADDED : Exquis
ADDED : Push 3
ADDED : Korg Keystage
ADDED : Aodyo Loom

6 Likes

wait, the Hydrasynths aren’t themselves MPE controllers, though they can be set up to respond to MPE controllers, isn’t that right?

ADDED:

I should say that the Sensel Morph is fine as a drum controller, just not if you’re totally into drumming and demand full-spectrum dynamics. It really wasn’t bad, just not good enough for me because I already have better, but much more expensive, options.

2 Likes

No they send MPE. They are MPE controllers. Have been for a while, but not from day one.

WTF?! How did I miss this? How does a Hydrasynth do Y-axis? And they do release velocity?

No Y Axis for the Hydrasynth. It will be second class to Osmose when that arrives. But the aftertouch is good and sensitive.

I shall add to the list that both the Deluxe and the Explorer do Note Off Velocity. The 49 Keys one will not.

1 Like

Well, without all three of X, Y, and Z (both positive and negative), it’s not MPE. HS’s PAT is great, but I don’t think you can call any of them MPE controllers.

It is MPE. I was just looking at the MIDI that gets generated and read the MPE spec.

You mean HS’s can be set up to transmit note-per-channel per MPE standard, but they don’t provide polyphonic expression aside from aftertouch, isn’t that right?

Polyend / Dreadbox Medusa. Though recently discontinued, it shouldn’t be too hard to find second hand.

1 Like

And Note Off Velocity in the case of the Deluxe and the Explorer.

ADDED : A day later, some fine print. The Explorer and the Deluxe have not shipped and i can’t look at their MIDI output to be absolutely 100% certain that Note Off Velocity is sent in the MPE channel. The manual is not specific to this, at least i haven’t found it. But it seems a very safe assumption, that Note Off Velocity, a feature new to the Explorer and Deluxe, will be sent in the MPE channel. The HSK sends Note On, Aftertouch, and regular Note Off in MPE channel currently. It would make very little sense that the two new Hydrasynths send regular Note Off while in MPE, but Velocity Note Off in regular mode. But until i see it spelled out exactly, it deserves complete clarity.

Shouldn’t the Hydrasynth Desktop be listed under type C? It seems from the manual that X, Yabs and Yrel are available as mod sources but it is unclear whether those come from the pads or elsewhere.

1 Like

Done, it’s on the list. Thank you.

1 Like

Hopefully a Desktop owner can chime in on the X/Y thing.

Still dont get how you can say that the Hydrasynth is an MPE controller. Is my Roland A50 a MPE controller?

The only polyphonic expression it will do it aftertouch. (And velocity, but all keyboards do that)

Another one I saw mentioned elsewhere:

Madrona Labs Soundplane

3 Likes