Tascam Model 12

the build quality was excellent for the Model 24

1 Like

haha! so… the Faderport you’re talking about has one motorized fader. the Model 12 has 8 channel faders, plus three more in the main section. a better comparison would be the Faderport 8, which has 8 faders and is also the exact same price as the Model 12 (though it’s just a MIDI controller).

long story short: motorized faders ain’t cheap.

3 Likes

This looks interesting. I dismissed the earlier two models as they look better suited to recording bands, but I’m torn now. Thought I’d decided to just get a Yamaha mixer for the returns, group tracks and stereo channels but Tascam reeling back in with the midi and DAW control. Does seem like a perfect fit for a small hybrid home studio as well.

This press release suggests that’s at least the intention:
“the audio interface simultaneously with the multi-track recorder, click output and MIDI equipment to create perfectly synchronised arrangements of multiple sound sources.”

3 Likes

looks great :slight_smile:

surprising lack of videos for it’s predecessor the Model 16 and the ones i’ve come across regarding the 24 seem to be from Tascam or shops. would be good to find out some honest appraisals since their initial launch.

Anyone know if all the specs per channel are the same as the 16 and 24? I.e., the inputs, preamps, da/ad, fx, etc are all the same as the larger versions, there are just fewer channels and the midi ports added?

Too few inserts, no direct outs, little in the aux/send department. Exactly the same problems as with the larger model - no thanks.

1 Like

I want to buy a mixer and need to buy multitracking abilities currently, so I am something like the target group maybe.
I feel, that it lacks too much for that price :frowning:
Currently I am running DT, DN, Minilogue XD, Circuit (maybe replaced by Blofeld), Crave (maybe replaced by MB33 Retro) as Hardware. Recording even with all the Overbridge stuff, is already at its limit. When I buy a new Mixer (currently using the Behringer 1602 Rackmixer), I would like to stop switching Cables all the time and be able to just route Signals to either the Digitone IN for FX or the Digitakt IN for sampling. It seems, that this is already to much for the Model 12. Connecting all the Devices I already have, would also use all Inputs (5xStereo in), leaving no space for additional stuff, for connecting a Microphone without removing a different device etc.

I would like to have the new features for the 16 or 24, but currently mostly thinking about buying the Presonus 16.0.2 USB.

2 Likes

anyone know if the channel FX will be recorded via USB multitracking?

I just want a IPS speed shifter toggle switch like on the Tascam Portastudios, so you could toggle the tape speed rapidly when listening to music, Shifting the pitch of the tape wildly. That is something i miss dearly.

1 Like

Nice b ut too big

1 Like

Is the Bluetooth for streaming off of iPads and such for direct recording? Or only for playback?

Stupid question maybe but will this allow playback on multiple channels while recording into open channels at the same time?

I agree… I thought about this one hard but like you said it’s missing too much and I think I would still need to be patching and re-patching cables just to record a my stereo gear. 2 stereo channels just doesn’t cut especially if you are using one channel for an effects return. This mixer is about 70% on the money, and it seems Tascam are steering towards a real Portastudio refresh. Right now I settled on a Mackie vlz and a field recorder, best of both worlds and I’m not limited to recommend recording at a mixer desk all the time. With a vlz1202 I have 4 stereo synths patched, 3 recording outputs for tape and digital, Alt output to send to my Digitakt for sampling and a stereo effects return. No re-patching required :wink:

I mean…that’s cool if youre good with a 2chan mix. But that’s not the point of the Model 12.

1 Like

I actually feel the opposite, for 600$ I can’t believe it can do all these things and maintain sound and build quality. Why do you think a 12 in/6 out mixer/recorder/interface/controller+FX+Bluetooth+insert points should cost less than just a DT?

I actually wish someone made a more expensive version with the same spec but better sound quality, like they do in the DJ world.

2 Likes

Well, I don’t judge the price itself. Maybe I just add two words to that sentence. Lets add “for me” in there!
I compare products and their features and check their prices. I list, what I need and see what a product provides of that list.
I need tools for 2 workflows currently:

1. I need a mixer that is able to route audio to (for example) my DN for effects and my DT for sampling. That is at least 2-Stereo-Busses or Aux channels.
  2. I need a Soundcard with more than 2 Inputs, so I can use Overbridge for DT and DN, and the Soundcard for all the other instruments.
    Now I compare different procuts. Mixers+Soundcard, Mixers with integrated Soundcard etc. Model 12 is one of them, but lacking some features, while bringing features I don’t need.
    As there a solutions for less money (or more money but way more features), for me, the Model 12 is too expensive for what it provides.
1 Like

Will the multitrack recording quality sound as good as their standalone recorders like the DA3000 when printing at the same bit rate?

I definitely see your point when you describe your particular setup, though in a way the Model12 could work for you:

Use one of the mono aux sends to the DT, since it sums its inputs to mono anyway and the Sub as a stereo send to the DN. You then still have an aux for the internal FX, spare channels for if/when you grow your setup, and all the little conveniences of a mixer (a bunch of faders, meters, knobs for control room and headphones, mic pre’s, blah blah blah).

I have a similar dilema to yours, and the choice is between a mixer which would be tactile and fun and an interface with internal mixer (MOTU Ultralite) which will certainly sound better $ for $.

2 Likes

This won NAMM for me, looks absolutely lovely and a great spec sheet. Perfect for dawless bedroom/Shed techno creation imho with a few machines and creation of overdubs and backing tracks for re samples and re rubs

Got a proper gas attack on the possibilities of this

4 Likes