Tascam Model 12

Where’s that spreadsheet :smiley:

1 Like

the Model 16/24 don’t have that, and the haven’t said up front these are, so safe bet that is a no.

Highly doubtful.

yeah no way would they NOT mention that if it did.

Have they added midi to the 24 as well. I’ve been trying to buy on in Australia but they have been sold out everywhere since December. Hope this is why!

Would be nice… with the resurgence of tape and all. That said I think most people buy tapes as more of a collectable than a way to listen. Supposedly no one makes music grade tape heads anymore so any new stuff just has the stuff they put in voice memo devices. Not sure if there is enough demand to get a factory making nicer tape heads again.

1 Like

damn that’s a shame - seems kinda crazy that my little ~£100 faderport can do it and something like that couldn’t. oh welllll

Spreadsheet is a WIP! :wink:

Comparing:
the various Tascam Models (24, 16, now 12)
Soundcraft MTK 12 / 22
Presonus ar12c / 16c
Allen and Heath Zed / Zedi
Samson s10
RME 400, Babyface
MOTU Ultralite mk4
Focusrite Scarlett line, etc.

Key variables:
Price, Channels, Stereo Channels, AUX pre/post and routing, USB I/O, Fader length, Fader automation, DAW control, SD card recording, busses, inserts, and so on!

I have not too much more than $600-$800 budgeted for this. I was leaning towards getting a Zed 14 and coupling with a focusrite, giving up on multitracking via the mixer, but now…Tascam 12 might just do it.

6 Likes

Had a model 24 for a minute and use one at work still… wonderful modern board With great sound and nice sd recording functionality. this model 12 is just what i need, very excited to get one!

3 Likes

Thank you! Did you ever use it as an audio interface? If yes, any problems?

Wonder how well it would work for a “dawless” workflow; recording, overdubbing with sync to add a new track on top, looping…

1 Like

I did and had no issues

The addition of midi is great i didnt even see that!

2 Likes

Looks really nice. I wish we’d see more nicely specced smaller mixers with four stereo channels, at least two aux sends and two stereo returns etc. though…

Here are two threads that might give you a little insight:

1 Like

Yes if they can get the midi sync to line up perfectly with the audio it could be a winner.

amen. best one is Mackie 1202. wish there were a step above that though, quality wise.

4 Likes

Nice. Real nice.

1 Like

This looks nice. Too bad I just bought a Motu Ultralite MK3 a few months back. Otherwise I’d be all over this!

There’s a not-hugely-informative video here: https://youtu.be/0gLuxj4_sMw

What did you think to the build quality? Better or worse than a Mackie?

Definitely - 4 mono, 4 stereo channels and 2 returns would make it very hard to resist

1 Like