Tascam Model 12

Same. Really like the idea that I can punch in anytime very efficiently without turning on the computer and then use it as an analog mixer and daw control for proper mix down.

But def will hold off for hands on reports. Lots to go wrong here.

1 Like

Wise to wait for sure . Midi will be a key factor

2 Likes

From what I’ve read privately, it looks as though a few people might have taken my comment as a snark against the mixer/recorder Tascam just released. That was definitely not my intent.

That said I think most people buy tapes as more of a collectable than a way to listen. Supposedly no one makes music grade tape heads anymore so any new stuff just has the stuff they put in voice memo devices. Not sure if there is enough demand to get a factory making nicer tape heads again.

The use I’ve been seeing/hearing has to do with recording and performance – as an easy way to bring the warmth of tape into a digital recording setup. Some people bus multitrack cassette recorders I/O their DAWs while others, like Alessandro Cortini, perform with the recorders live. (Example: Cortini’s Touring Setup.)

I wondered about that very issue: the difficulty of manufacturing things like high-quality tape heads in a world that no longer has the facilities, materials or precision for tech it doesn’t use. I wondered whether Tascam couldn’t consider bringing back the 424 for that reason.

That said, the Model 12 looks like a great solution for many people and the price is surprisingly competitive.

Yeah I’m a bit surprised this thread seemed to pick up steam but maybe this model is the size people want and features people want… I could be wrong but I thought tascam had been offering digital portastudio multitrack recorders since they retired the tape versions. Either way it’s a cool product. There are still a few boutique companies making super high quality reel to reels… I bet there would be space of a new 8 track recorder with that tech. I probably couldn’t afford to shell out for one though.

1 Like

I think they are onto something here that a lot of nauts want . Small format, dawless enabler , midi master for synch duties , some onboard processing and for me the price helps a lot too!

If this had an elektron logo on it the board would have crashed !

5 Likes

I’d like to have the Midi Feature, a second Sub Channel and maybe some stereo Aux returns on the M16, and I wouldn’t wait but buy the device.

Someone on muffs mentioned the idea of using the click out to clock analogue gear. That would be ace

1 Like

Couldn’t find a manual on the Tascam site, but perhaps aux1 is pre/post switchable, it looks like there is an indicator? Mon2 is pre/post switchable on the Model 16…

1 Like

Wish there was MIDI on the 24 channel version.

I have a Multiclock and was thinking I could record a sync track on channel 1 or 2 and then use the insert (if pre fader) to play the sync track back to the Multiclock. Then the sync would get to the Multiclock and I could keep the fader down so I don’t hear it in the main mix.
I could sync MIDI devices to the SD recording… hmmm :thinking: Research mode when I have time.

Finally!!! Midi!!! Yey!!!
Wait, 48khz, hmmmrph! Waiting continues.

Good thinking.
This is how tape machines synced to MIDI back in the day. SMPTE time code was recorded on one of the tape tracks, then played back into some SMPTE to MIDI box (Multiclock in your case) and into the Atari ST or whatever sequencer. You may need to leave 1 or 2 blank measures because sync is not instantaneous.

Channel inserts are always pre-fader :level_slider::+1:

2 Likes

I may sell my presonus 1810 and my behringer qx1204usb and get one of this. I could work with ableton or just with hardware without any hasle. And multritrack recording us a very nice add on.

1 Like

Why not clock the ERM using the click out if it works?

Do you work in film or TV?

The Model 24 has been excellent for my uses.

2 Likes

No. Just sampling stuff, and stretching it all over the place.

Does the 24 channel have click out?

It has MTC added in the latest update.

1 Like

apologies, i assumed it did. aside from the midi and track count i wasn’t expecting the specs to differ so much.

No worries, that would make sense.