Syntakt USB Ripcord

If Syntakt does require 2A, then I’ll look at picking up the birdcord. It’s likely to not perform as expected, or burn out the ripcord trying to draw more amperage than it can provide. I imagine its the additional analog circuitry that requires the higher draw.

1 Like

Agreed on the birdcord. Any recommendations on a compatible power bank?

1 Like

I have a bunch of Anker ones that work with the ripcord, I won’t know if they work with the birdcord until I buy one though :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe something like this?

Anker Portable Charger, USB-C Portable Charger 10000mAh with 20W Power Delivery, 523 Power Bank (PowerCore Slim 10K PD) for iPhone 13 Series/iPhone 12 Series, S10, Pixel 4, and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LH26PFT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KF1A83RT0JXJEXBYQZ9E

And by the way. Thanks so much for all the replies. Great community here! :grinning:

3 Likes

I use this one, it’s a very nice one:

1 Like

Ordered the 12v birdcord and this power bank. I don’t guess I can mess anything up? :grinning:

Baseus Power Bank, 65W 20000mAh Laptop Portable Charger, Fast Charging USB C 4-Port PD3.0 Battery Pack for MacBook Dell XPS IPad iPhone 13/12 Pro Mini Samsung Switch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08THFDRSZ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_R1810E7FKYMDJSJG26HY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

In all seriousness. Is it possible to damage the Syntakt with these power bank/cord trials?

Anything is possible! But for USB-C, I believe the standard output is 5V/3A if no PD negotiation takes place (so it wouldn’t turn on).

It’s usually the voltage that can cause damage (too much), and you just need something that can offer the amperage the device is trying to draw, otherwise, it’s the power source that gets damaged.

2 Likes

you should ask Elektron support about this, however, given that units are definitely now specified at 2A(min) for a psu, i suspect that they will only recommend a higher (than 12W) 24W converter, even if it’s not constantly drawing that much

1 Like

Thanks. I submitted a ticket about the power bank and birdcord I ordered. Will post back here with reply.

2 Likes

and thanks y’all for getting me gassing for a beefy power bank now over on Amazon … i was converted to the ‘ease’ argument of this with the short-lived handle on my MC - it’s possible these may just have become affordable enough for my tastes now

1 Like

Not the cheapest but the perfect solution is this power bank

3 Likes

I use this, seems to last forever. Weights a ton though.

1 Like

interesting - are you using it in connection with a step up converter to 12v whilst it’s lasting well ?

Just trying to guage at which level one should spec a battery for that purpose, as opposed to juicing up a macbook - 18w may be ample for a DN e.g. but less so an ST ?!

At the same time its common for manufacturers to build in a lot of head-room with power adapters - it certainly won’t use 2A. I’m sure when I was looking into daisy chaining the Digitakt its actual power draw was something more like 500mA.

If someone can confirm what the actual draw is I’d say as long as you’re adding 20-30% to that then you’re fine. Might use more during startup or under load. I suspect, based on no evidence at all - that you’d be fine with a 1.5A adapter.

2 Likes

nope, I use the power bank linked above with a bird cord pd to 12v and that’s it. works fine with digitone and rytm, can’t tell about st yet

1 Like

interesting, need to look into this for sure

@natehorn i’m sure this is a reasonable way to look at the specs as they will bake in a fair amount of contingency

1 Like

You did a great job and won’t damage anything with it! :slight_smile: the power bank is one of the good ones, stable current, good capacity and the birdcord is also a quality product! Congratulations! :slight_smile:

Also, no need to worry about the current if you are using a usb-c to usb-c cable to connect the power bank with your birdcord, the power bank will send the right current to your Syntakt (that’s the whole PD thing/feature you’ll see on some power banks).

1 Like