Syntakt USB Ripcord

I will make some current measurements when I get my Syntakt.

There is a chance that the analog bits are completely disabled until they are used. That would cause the power consumption to change significantly depending on the opened project.

As it was pointed out, the Digitone and Digitakt both have 1A printed on the enclosure. They come with a 2A power supply and they draw about 0.7A in real life.

The Analog Heat MK2 has 2A printed on the enclosure, comes with the same 2A power supply and it draws about 1A.

Of course this is no indication on how much current the Syntakt will draw, but it will probably somewhere between 1 and 2 amps.

3 Likes

Excellent! Thanks so much for your helpful guidance :grinning:

2 Likes

Iā€™m using a Juicebox battery pack that can supply 12V and it looks like the Syntakt is drawing about 12wattsā€”which is 1 amp. The juicebox can supply up to 2A at 12V, so itā€™s perfect for Syntakt.

7 Likes

I am also a birdcord adapter, but they have failed on me recently. Luckily not at a gig, but still was a bit flustered about it after having issues with ripcords. Iā€™ve been bringing my power cables again, and while itā€™s a bit of a pain, the security is nice. Whenever I used power banks I always had this sinking feeling it might fail during the set.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. I guess nothing is infallible. Did you talk to the manufacturer?

1 Like

I havenā€™t. They are very good with service though from my experience. I had one that wasnā€™t working, proved it with a voltmeter and they sent me one straight away.

I think my issue is that the male piece that goes into my DN is not very snug and will disconnect if moved a bit.

I donā€™t want to disparage people from buying them. They do work well, but that moment my DN went out, I decided I wouldnā€™t risk it in a live setting anymore.

1 Like

Just came across this on Amazon. A little pricey, but from the write up and the reviews it seems legit and well made. A nice one cable solution to go with a USB-C PD power bank.

Iā€™m gonna give it a go!

Blind SPOT - USB to 12V Adapter - 12 Volt DC Power Cable - Use Any PD USBC Power Bank to Power Any 12V Device - Turn Your Power Bank into a 12 Volt Battery

1 Like

Just tried 2 ripcords I had that powers my DT/DN, but my ST wonā€™t even turn on. My ST is rated 1A, not 2A interestingly.
When looking around I saw that RipCord sells 12V/1A adapters that are specifically mentioned for DT, while the adapters I had bought 2 years ago were rated 12V/0.75A. Iā€™ve ordered 2 since they were cheap (9 euros vs double usually), weā€™ll see how to works.

My issues with the Birdcord is that they donā€™t have an angled connectors, so it wonā€™t fit my portable cases. The Blind sport one looks interesting though, but doesnā€™t seem to be available where I live.

I think @AdamJay or @avantronica mentioned thereā€™s a small bunch of the very first ST units are marked 1A on the back but theyā€™re actually 2A

2 Likes

Likely some pre-production units used in testing and passed to some reviewers. Iā€™d be surprised if those were in the retail side given the confusion it could cause. The key thing is to follow guidance from the Elektron site and manual. Some Elektronauts monitoring the power consumption have noted that the unit is drawing just over 1A during boot and up to 1A thereafter.

1 Like

This cord should be arriving today for my testing. It has an angle connector.

As stated earlier:

I will report back with results soon!

I bought mine from Thomann and it was brand new sealed, with 1A rating.

1 Like

Apologiesā€¦ Just realized you said it was not available where you lived.

Here is their direct site if it helps.

2 Likes

All those pricey USB PD -> 12V adaptors seems greedy expensive to me, as with PD thereā€™s no need for any conversion electronic as USB PD can provide the right voltage directly.

I already have PD -> 20V adaptors working flawlessly for portable projectors (with 3A!), so Iā€™ll give a try to the same ones for 12V, for 4-5$ shipped:

3 Likes

Thatā€™s going to lead to confusion I fear, especially in the context of this thread where 12W is a significant line in the sand. The psu it ships with is obviously well suited, but people do use alternative sources.

I know this isnā€™t @eangmanā€™s primary role, but perhaps the user manual (or website) needs a line or two clearing this up for future/present owners. Obviously the future batches will be labelled differently, but whilst thereā€™s a few in general circulation, it can only help to ensure thereā€™s documentation available (somewhere?) to keep users informed, one way or another, especially if they need to lean on a (poorly specified) third party ā€˜1Aā€™ psu unwittingly further down the line.

I just assumed it was only labelled that way on earlier ā€˜developmentā€™ units.

Agreed on the price gouging. Just want to make sure I am getting a safe, quality solution.

Here is another cheaper possibility I have run across.

2 Likes

Just got my BIRDCORD cable PD->12V. My power bank displays more or less constant 12.1V/1A with short drops to 0.9A and 1 short peak at 1.1A. I am quite sure, that the power bank is not measuring like a test environment, so it might be a few % off. And when the device is constantly pulling 1A its fair that they name the port with 2A (on mine it said 2A) as well as provide a 2A Power Supply.

2 Likes

Confirmed that this one cord solution and battery work perfectly :grinning:

1 Like

I just measured the Current when Syntakt is in Play Mode , FUNC pressed and Volume at 100 % with AKG Headphone ā€¦ my Device needs 1,062 Ampere.

10 Likes

My Powerpox didnā€™t show any (relevant) difference in power consumption, if I just had it idle on an empty pattern or have it working on with tons of stuff on every Track. Same with you?