Introducing Digitakt II

yes, probably renamed to make it clear that you can’t fiddle with slice positions

6 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

OK, clear, can someone please check if you can somehow centre a stereo sample with pan that is only recorded on one side. Thx!

With all this stereo width flying around, it would be great to have something like Ableton’s Utility onboard, per track, to narrow (or widen more!) the stereo field and have a cutoff point to optionally make the lower frequencies mono. Maybe in a future update?

15 Likes

It might have been here, where I saw the speculation that this opens the door for a real “Slice” machine in the future. Which seems quite plausible

4 Likes

A battery similar to this with PD fast charging and a 12v birdcord works nicely.

1 Like

I’d also want a real GRID machine. It has zero-crossing snapping, hence not a perfect grid, hence gaps for linear locks, wrong tuning…
(10 years slicing stereo files with OT, trust me).

i really havent really been interested (not because theyre not good but because i have the 4 big boys) in the takt series but this one looks pretty good.

1 Like

here’s a test sample i used which is L R MID … it’s played 3 times through … Normal / All LEFT / All Right using ‘PAN’ (aka BAL)

so 9 successive spoken utterances (not all audible)

(if you heard my first upload it was spuriously collapsed to mono (doh!), now as recorded !)

Hopefully this shows what’s occurring for those without sound

3 Likes

it’s a credible theory, just not a guarantee per se … grid is perhaps more accurate and less misleading, but who knows, this is OS 1.01 and they like to evolve gear after all, there’s a few years of feature bumps to hope for

1 Like

You can still ping the filter with a short sample and bypass the amp envelope by setting decay/release to inf and attack to 0.
You can modulate the sample level control if you want to control the level into the filter :smiley:
Cheers!

10 Likes

Honestly doesn’t bother me a lot. If it takes 14 hours I will leave it overnight. It’s a one off thing for me to copy my core samples over and then the rest I sample in to the unit

Or just in Ableton directly with stuff recorded via OB? I mean, this would be mastering realm already, wouldn’t it? :wink:

Sure… but when standalone composing or playing out live it would be nice to have that capability onboard.

That is some voodoo shit

2 Likes

My understanding js that is better in low light conditions but not good for eyes

Clear one is better effort to your eyes

Yes, and EQ, too, but would maybe become too complex - like the Akai DPS 12 for instance. I loved the limitations of the OG DT - and I am kind of glad that song mode and kits were introduced only when we had explored all the possibilities with the existing options. Like a really good game that grows with your skills. Or one of these incredibly difficult NES games. Very rewarding. And sparked creativity and community (exchanging found tricks).

2 Likes

From Inputs ? Should be possible depending on inputs DUAL settings. Record MAIN eventually to record Input Left or Right mono centered.
Hoping this works for you.

NOT TRUE // But in the manual I can not find this DUAL setting, maybe I’m just having trouble finding it, but you yourself posted the screenshot above and I can’t see it:

//

Ahh I’m a tired idiot… will leave it for reference :slight_smile: it’s there. This is good enough for me for the time being.

1 Like

snap, my bad … i forgot about the DUAL Mono captures caveat - you can record the mono source in the stereo capture and the individual channel can indeed be panned within that stereo field, or left dead centre as default/intended

it’s still not a single channel (mono) file though

2 Likes