Syntakt upgrade/uplevel forthcoming!

Like others said lag on the controls. 99% of my usage is in overbridge so it may not do it stand alone at all. Haven’t tested that. It can take several seconds to catch up to adjustments. Looks like a ghost is operating the controls. I have pretty much all outgoing and incoming midi off when in OB.

1 Like

I get lag. Most often if I leave for a moment and my computer screen dims yet doesn’t enter sleep mode due to having my DAW open and active (prevents computer from sleeping). Then it becomes unbearable even once I wake the screen.

With that 20% discount, I declare Black Friday to be called Red Friday for synthesists and producers. I’m never buying anything again during the rest of the year. I’m going to get myself into massive debt every Thanksgiving instead while hopped up on gravy, pay it off days before and do it all over again like a true American.

5 Likes

What does everyone hear in the video that’s different from the current capabilities? I think there’s certainly a compressor pumping in there, but is the noise it is compressing from the analog filters, or Bits, or is there also some kind of lofi effect a la 303 Vinyl simulation/Vulf compressor going on? I wonder if we’ll get any new machines along with a compressor…

I use the syntakt standalone and don’t have any lag. It seems like an issue with using USB at the same time. Maybe related, I remember the digitakt acting super weird when samples are actively being transferred over. So maybe there is something with USB data that is creating a performance impact.

I have the same problem in Overbridge, sometimes a 0.5 delay between twisting a knob and seeing the UI animations (and, more importantly, hearing the effect). In standalone, I haven’t experienced a single issue.

1 Like

I just thought it was fun to speculate a little based on the audio. That pumping could easily be done without compression too. Just add a noise effect on a Sy Bits track with some random lfos to simulate crackles, LP filter it somewhat, bring the level down to a perceived noise floor, route it to the FX block and then add some trigs in the FX sequencer.

To be honest, I couldn’t care less about a compressor for my use because I’ll just add that in the DAW, but I can see how it would be invaluable in live situations.

Far more valuable for me (a producer-kind of person rather than a live performer) would be

• New, more versatile synth engines. Maybe a second or third FM engine to close in on the excellent, lush sound design capabilites of the Digitone?
  • Voice sharing across tracks for true polyphony. The chords machine just isn’t a proper solution, and programming separate tracks like they did on one of the stock patterns is about as fun as Excel pivot tables.
  • The Digitone arpeggiator.

One can dream. :blush:

5 Likes

OT users don’t care about them. :pl:

7 Likes

The tease seems to imply something significant.

Personally, I wouldn’t mind a master compressor on the Syntakt, and if they managed to squeeze in even a simple master EQ on any/all the Digis, that would be amazing to quickly tweak and tame for different live sound systems.

1 Like

I really like to use it on the go, so a compressor that makes it really punch like Machinedrum would be extra helpful. But i hear you, in the studio i use individual track streaming to DAW and individual comp/limiter plugins depending on which voice, which i can’t see myself stopping. Getting a bunch of other more flexible machine types would be even better

2 Likes

Definitely this is to boost sales

1 Like

sorry, i’m a begginer

why do you think it needs a compressor?

how would it make the Syntakt better?

I’d definitely appreciate a compressor too, just wouldn’t be the first thing I’d wish for. A new synth machine that can widen the palette a bit from what’s basically Model:Cycles and some subtractive synthesis would be sweet and lead to a lot more purchases and impressive Syntakt jams I would think. If I were Elektron, I’d ask: what features can make this more attractive to all of those that are still on the fence about the Syntakt?

5 Likes

I mean, of course. Every company is doing it. My point was that that may not be a sign that sales aren’t going well. The company I work for is pushing campaigns like crazy these days too, despite sales being better than ever.

You need it to synchronize Kick and Bass, its essential for a good groove. But you knew that already LFO tool or Shaperbox with sidechain can make it very tight.

to how many voices is the Syntakt limited?

Agreed. I try to push it’s limits, and i see other users really trying to push it – but it is much more limited from an “extreme, unique, and attention grabbing sounds and capabilities” standpoint than pretty much any other Elektron, in my opinion. Not a knock against it as i love what it does, but with more unique sound and performance capablities could be much more attention grabbing like Octa, MnM, MD, Rytm and others with freaky sounds

1 Like

There are 12 voices on the Syntakt, evenly spread across 12 tracks (8 digital and 4 analog). Meaning, they’re all monophonic: they can only play one note at a time, per track. All 12 tracks can obviously be played simultaneously, so in theory, you can build complex chords by using the same synth sound across several tracks and then programming the separate sequencer lanes per track - which is a total drag (plus controlling the sound parameters live is nearly impossible when jumping across 3 tracks).

If Elektron just implemented the logic from Digitone, where its 8 voices can be dynamically or statically assigned to the 4 tracks, you’d be able to devote eg 3 voices for a chord track. This would make the Syntakt so much more accessible and immediate for us harmony musicians who love to play chords and use chord progressions in songs.

After all, Elektron describes the Syntakt as “an all-round music mega box” (which "can be used for melody, harmony", and bass sounds too). To me, that means it’s a proper groovebox, not just a drum computer. I think only Elektron makes grooveboxes that don’t have polyphony, so it’s time to step up their game a bit. :blush:

4 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. I’m still not sure if the Syntakt is the right choice for me, or if I should get the trusty old Digitone instead, which I had so much fun with in the time I used it.

Elektron’s marketing text about the Syntakt promises “epic sounds from the past, pulling others into existence from the future”, but I feel that’s a more suitable description for the Digitone at the moment. Let’s hope that that changes soon, because it sure is a fun box to use! :rainbow:

2 Likes

To tease the forum: syntakt adding stereo sample playing, no direct sampling, load via usb. Live looping machine, but only single bar length. Analog compressor, but its mono only.

2 Likes

I just want 4 dedicated MIDI Tracks instead of the Trig Modifiers.

14 Likes