Syntakt... Can it Buchla?

I’ve been experimenting with modular synths for the past 11 years, after rewiring my brain now I approach most patchable synths like a modular. The first ‘Can it Buchla’ video I made was on the Digitone, I’ve always wanted a Buchla, but I can’t justify spending $20k on a 12-space Buchla 200e.
So I will chase the frequency dragon by using my imagination to make sounds, patches, and compositions inspired by this amazing instrument and composers like Morton Subotnick, my friend, and fellow synth composer Todd Barton to name a few.

So let’s get to it. Here’s the first video of me experimenting with the Syntakt from this perspective, feel free to join in with your ideas and videos so we can have a place for non-grooveboxy Syntakt patch recipes and discussions.

63 Likes

The Arturia version is very cheap and does a fantastic job.

4 Likes

True indeed, it actually sounds pretty close to a Buchla Music Easel, my buddy was a beta tester for Arturia during the creation of that virtual instrument.

2 Likes

Love these sounds :slight_smile:

Love the sounds you came up with here, the Buchla vibes are coming through loud and clear — and I like how you used the Syntakt’s many tracks to create layers while keeping the whole composition in Buchla territory. Really nice stuff. I have nothing else to contribute here since I have no Syntakt and no Buchla but keep it up, this is great!

1 Like

These textures are really, really good, you nailed the vibe.

Yeah definitely capturing some of those westcoast vibes here, well done for sure! …but I can’t help but feel there is a lack of danger or something with in it. Like when listening to a buchla performance often there is sort of a tension when sounds build rapidly and then a release. I suppose this maybe lacks the levels of dynamics I might expect and maybe a little more static in timing.

I wonder if sequencing the FX feedback into dangerous territories and then having it back off would maybe help build that sort of tension. (I guess for all I know you are already doing this though).

Anyways I don’t want to come across as too critical because what you did sounds great!

1 Like

This is ridicilously awesome. This from your upcoming soundpack, mate? Cause I’m buying.

3 Likes

I totally agree, the Buchla has it’s own sonic signature that could never be duplicated, it was just easier to say “Can it Buchla”… it wasn’t from a literal perspective, that’s my artistic way of saying can the Syntakt do west coast synthesis patching techniques?.. that’s not as catchy LOL

4 Likes

Yes it is, I’m also including a bunch of sequences for everyone to reverse engineer and push the techniques further. thanks

5 Likes

Here’s another west coast synthesis inspired moment.
This time I processed the Syntakt through the Electrosmith Daisy Patch modular running a triple delay algorithm.

10 Likes

Just wanted to drop a big up for Voltagectrlr, I saw this thread and looked at the video and then quickly explored others on hischannel. Then went straight to Bandcamp and found a little treasure trove discovering his EPs and the concept of Modbap.
We have a serious musician here, take the time to check him out!

7 Likes

When, for the love of god man, is your soundpack released? I want to know. My wife wants to know. My kids want to know. Their friends keep asking. Their parents. Teacher at our school. The local government.

The world needs your soundpack, mate.

But we shall wait. Patiently, we shall wait. Yes.

8 Likes

Thanks a lot for the kind words and for checking out my creations!

2 Likes

HAHA that’s awesome! I’m actually working on finishing that pack up hopefully I’ll be able to finish it this weekend. I don’t want to upset your whole family, so I will work expeditiously! LOL

Peace

6 Likes

@Voltagectrlr It was wild. As I was playing this latest video of yours, these odd voice based samples were playing in my head atop the sounds emanating from your box. They were compressed and warbly like an MFDoom voice sample. Anyhoo…I thought it was cool that these voices just popped in my head as the sounds oozed out of the box :slight_smile:

“For the Life of Me…I can’t imagine anything more amazing…”

“What do you mean John?”

“I know it…I know it…It’s coming our way.”

“Step quietly…don’t make a sound…they will hear us…”

2 Likes

…ha…it obviously CAN buchla indeed…swedish west coast full on…

1 Like

:man:t2::blonde_woman:t2::girl:t2::boy:t3::boy:t3::pray::heart:

1 Like

I finished the Syntakt - West Kept Secrets presets+sequences sound pack today!
Syntakt West Kept Secrets is a collection of sounds/patches inspired by west coast synthesis techniques and instruments like the Buchla, analog modular synths and the composers like Morton Subotnick, that have laid down the foundation for experimental synth compositions.
This sound pack has 75 hand crafted patches designed by Shiro Fujioka (Voltagectrlr)
also includes 12 sequences and an 8 song album

or

14 Likes

Super cool. Going to have to pick these up when I get back from vacation…Congrats on being first with Syntakt Patches :slight_smile:

1 Like