Superbooth 2020

not sure if that looks good for superbooth. I think they will hardly sell pre-sale ticketes now. Or Maybe they restrict entrance for 999 People a day? Hopefully Mr. Schneider & his Team will find a good solution.

1 Like

Which will not necessarily be the end of those restrictions.

2 Likes

I’d be surprised if SB cancelled, their statement on their site seems to be pretty adamant about carrying on as long as a mandatory government-enforced restriction doesn’t go into effect.

virus aside, I haven’t checked to see if polyend with be on the floor but I assume they will, and I’m very much looking forward to seeing some youtube demos of Tracker.

but my biggest hope is that novation will announce a flagship groovebox to blow roland out of the water, which I know they’re fully capable of doing.

also praying as always that we’ll see a minilogue-descended hybrid drum synth from korg but I’m not getting my hopes up.

3 Likes

Right on. I’ve been wishing for this for years now. Seems like such an obvious move. Maybe they are just taking their time to get it right? Hope so. Now that the XD is released would love to see analog and user controlled digital oscs on it. While I’m making my wish list, ability to load samples would be killer as well. And 48 steps please, none of this 16 steps business.

2 Likes

yeah definitely, from what I remember of a bobeats interview with the lead developer for the XD it seems like they’re very fixated on keeping the interface as simplified and immediate as possible (which was the reason they gave for the low step count on the sequencer) so it would be interesting to see if they’d make things just a bit deeper and extensive in the context of a drum synth.

I would really love to see them implement their multi engine to offer different FM/subtractive/physical modeled drum algorithms like you see on a nord drum, but with the added open-source benefits of the 'logue SDK. 6 or 8 voices of that with their analog filters per voice, plus two send buses with the 'logue SDK FX architecture from the synths and I’m sold.

4 Likes

You may recall a year ago, in March Thomann ran an event called the Thomann Synth Reactor (TSR19). They invited 25 or so of the top electronic music related internet content creators to come and play and create content with whatever equipment they wanted.

Perhaps SB could, at least for this year, be morphed into something resembling a larger version of that. This would be considerably safer, public health-wise, not having thousands of people exposed. And yet it would capture a lot of the excitement involved with the combined unveiling of hundreds of new products and ideas all in a few days. The companies at the show also could slim down their staff and productions, as they are only presenting their products to a much smaller live audience.

Top wish for me this year is for people to be safe and well. I think of all the people, like in China – or wherever – the people involved in making the marvelous gear we enjoy, and i really wish them well. I also think about all the people who make their livings performing live – this will likely have a major effect on their music careers, so i’m wishing well for all of them too.

As for gear i’d really like to see and that i am kind of expecting to see.

Given that Korg has been on a roll (like at NAMM), i’m definitely expecting some real blue sky stuff from them. Also a follow on product, probably the higher end sibling to the Wavesnake is in the cards. Also more news on their 2600 products. I also expect that Tatsuya Takahashi will be out front for Korg, given that he’s right there in town. And don’t forget the Opsix!

Behringer – Their 2600 product will also generate a lot of excitement. Plus about a half dozen other things from them, some of that stuff will come as a surprise.

The Polyend Tracker will be old news by the end of April, so they’ll have something else then, small parts perhaps, things that will fill in for them.

Dreadbox will have more colorful parts in their Chromatic line of affordable nodules. What will banana yellow be?

Will Elektron have anything new? Difficult for me to decide. They certainly have room in their line-up for a new Model product, but maybe it’s too soon. There certainly will be a lot of rumors around these parts for something new.

More Roland ZEN-Core Products – Zzzzz.

Torso with their T1 sequencer has been really quiet so it’s time they showed up.

Hey and what about Superlative’s SB01 Space Bee. That was making a real buzz, when it showed up, but it’s been crickets ever since.

Last year UDO had a Super 6 held together with rubber bands and duct tape. This year it’s full on.

No doubt there will be a list of stuff all new for Eurorack. That’s always fast paced scene.

Also stuff we’ve seen some of but it’s time for more – Expressive E Osmose, Gamechanger Audio Light Pedal, Conductive Labs MRCC (MIDI Router Control Center), XOR Electronics NerdSynth, Isla S2400, …

ADDED: The Electra-One midi-controller was set to launch at SB20.

So – MAJOR NEW SURPRISES? Arturia seems due. What about ASM (maker of the Hydrasynth)? Modal have been on a tear – A new Argon, or something else? Or something else completely out of the blue?

2 Likes

Torso T-1 is my #1 most anticipated at the moment. Given the posts they’ve made recently on their socials I expect they’ll have units shipping before SB, or at the very least a full reveal with manual and pricing/availability.

1 Like

What was the pin-matrix synth shown last year? The one in a EMS Synthi-sized box?
I recall there was another from a small-maker announced too, other than the Pulsar-23, hmmm.

1 Like

Good memory! A very exciting product too.

I think you mean the Erica Synths SYNTRX. (There’s a nice video down towards the end of this link.)

Behringer has also been working on something similar.

ADDED: Been racking my brain trying to remember another new synth like this. The Analogue Solutions Colossus !

1 Like

Thank @Jukka. Syntrx is a beauty. 2500EUR. Only 2 CVs ins, 1 Gate in.

Woah, Colossus is £25K. Knowing AS, the pots probably aren’t bolted to the panel. :sob:
The Pulsar-23 seems like a bargain at 1500EUR.

3 Likes

250 – Perhaps follow the pattern the Behringer version is 250 – but probably something more like 2.5 times that in truth.

1 Like

Sounds like they will. Get ready for Device 16.

3 Likes

Ableton Loop 2020 Berlin, which was scheduled the same week as SB, has been postponed til April 2021 due to Covid-19… SB still expected to go ahead?

1 Like

It’s not on the same scale as Superbooth, but Machina Bristonica, our local modular synth fest in Bristol that was due for next weekend, has just been cancelled. I would be quite surprised if SB goes ahead.

Mere speculation: no way is SB going ahead. The topic picks up speed here in Germany. My employer just asked a 5 figure number of people to work from home indefinitely. I might get to record that album after all.

8 Likes

liking that last part…

What kind of company has more than 10,000 employees?! Crazy!

Am I crazy for not being as excited as everyone else about the Pulsar? Plenty of innovative control but the synth voices themselves seem to sound exactly the same in every demo I’ve seen, and not very good.

1 Like

That‘s just Germany. Worldwide we‘re talking 6 figure. Not unusual for a global player.

SB isn’t going ahead either as far as I just heard either :frowning: