Superbooth 19

Always so practical tnussb.

This approach from MML seems to take plenty of work and cooperation from the VST makers so far. Perhaps that’s why it has been taking a little longer than expected to roll out variations. Plus putting the mechanicals of the UI together take time.

Overbridge certainly has been a nightmare for Elektron so far to get it to run on all sorts of PC and Mac hardware and OSes with all sorts of DAWs. So to some extent a controlled environment for them to port to would be of advantage.

ADDED: It was smart of MML to get Steinberg (the VST originator) involved in doing a system. They can probably improve the whole process of getting VST to work in this environment.

1 Like

Nero Desktop Monitor Controller from Audient

Not sure where they are located at Superbooth.

The Novation Summit has a demo :

And the product page on thomann is live : https://www.thomann.de/intl/novation_summit.htm?ref=search_prv_7

2 Likes

Holy shit it’s what I wished the Peak was.

Well it is just two Peaks, so it’s not going to sound any different. The keyboard and splits is really rad though, I want one baaaad even already owning a Peak.

Well that sounds great.

I sold my Peak to redo my setup from scratch. I wanted it to have multitimbrality and a keyboard for the price… Peak is my favorite poly alongside the OB-6 and possibly the Kijimi (based on demos, never seen one in person).

I had a Rev 2 16 voice at the same time as the Peak and the Rev 2’s sounds just didn’t stack up.

2 Likes

Gotcha, yeah Peak is amazing but I thought it was extremely good value for the price even without the keys. I do always wish it was multitimbral though so I completely feel you! I’m guessing that the Summit is going to be quite a bit more. I think the leaked ad said something over 2K euro, but who knows if that’s official and I want to know the USD price. I will say that I think the keyboard version is less attractive than the Peak module to my eyes. Something about the way the sections of the Peak are cordoned off by lines, and the total lack of wasted space just give it that visual edge. I’ll be keeping the Peak to have 24 voices in total, and three-part multitimbrality.

Well, if SFX mode was introduced to the Peak that’d be a different story. The build quality was better than the OB-6 and Rev 2 as well in my opinion. If I had the Summit instead, which is basically the Peak in 16 voice Rev 2 version, I’d never sell it.

Currently though since I went modular and can record my own wavetables and a few other tricks, I don’t think I’ll be getting the Summit unless I win the lottery. Probably opt for the Moog Matriarch when the time comes.

Absolutely love the Summit though.

I’d buy an Aalto or Kaivo box. Those Madrona Labs synths sound amazing to me. Very CPU intensive, I’d never use them live in a laptop rig, but if they were stable in a box like this…

2 Likes

Really interesting concept… would be nice to see desktop unit with a set of in’s and out’s along with some physical pots/sliders. Also, a wee LCD screen so that you can load patches. Then if there was a desktop app that you use to pick a VST to load to it (and pre-map the pots/sliders on the hardware device) sort of like the Plug-out idea then I’d be all over it like a sheep eating turnip.

I would prefer things that are a little more esoteric or that aren’t so readily available in a hardware format already. So, the PortaFM from Plogue and their forthcoming ChipSynths would be cool. Weirdly, I would love it if there was a way you could get Reaktor and it’s ensembles available… Rounds, Carbon, Prism, OKI Computer.

1 Like

This kind of instrument is exactly what I hope to see more often, if new synths are announced.

The irony is that this approach is quite classic … in a particular way. In the early days of Don Buchla, Serge, and Bob Moog electronic instruments were developed to be experimental, to try new sonic territory, to inspire artists with concepts unknown before, to open up and show new ways to interact with an instrument. Today too many new synths are somehow a copy or re-imagination of one of the admired synth ancestors. That’s not a bad thing, sure, but it’s not getting us to new places.

Pittsburgh rediscovered this “classic trail” … great work and great sounding synth too. I couldn’t resist to bite the bullet after this interview … the blame is on you DivKid :smiley: :+1: well and on Pittsburgh too.

2 Likes

If this was 16 way multi timbral I’d be interested but 2 way is not enough.

1 Like

well the X-Pan is of course stereo and obviously they want to show that off. the QPas is as well, and that’s still pretty new. that’s not to say this other new one isn’t though!

edit: it is indeed stereo. no details yet though…

3 Likes

Hah the minilogue XD just became much more interesting at least for me :
https://youtu.be/SBNKRvO6a8w

4 Likes

And it has polychain!

4 Likes

Why does everyone bob and nod their head when playing in the video? Its like a chicken factory :joy:

6 Likes

Its the new version of echophon. Has the same symbols however I think people have said it might have some type of comb filter too? Anyway I’d be glad to get rid of echophon its the systems weakest link now

2 Likes

yeah kinda looks that way. no pitch shifting it looks like. still waiting on further details…

the Ecophon does offer a lot with that pitch shifting ability (including use as an oscillator), so I’m not sure I’m ready to drop it. but we’ll see.

1 Like

Dadamachines Composer Pro

!

dadamachines announces grid based midi performance sequencer composer pro

composer pro is the new hub for electronic musicians, a missing link for sketching ideas and playing live. It’s a standalone sampler and live instrument, and connects to everything in a studio or onstage, for clock and patterns. And it’s open source and community-powered, ensuring it’s only getting started.

Edit patterns by step, play live on the pads and touch strip, use external controllers – it’s your choice. Sequence and clock external gear, or work with onboard instruments. Clock your whole studio or stage full of gear – and sync via wires or wirelessly.

Finally, there’s a portable device that gives you the control you need, and the big picture on your ideas, while connecting the instruments you want to play. And yes, you’re free to leave the computer at home.

composer pro will be shown to the public the first time at superbooth in Berlin from 9-11th of may. Sales start is planned for late summer 2019.

Play:

Use a massive, RGB, 16×12 grid of pads
192 triggers – 261 buttons in total – but organized, clear, and easy
Step sequence or play live
Melodic and rhythmic/drum modes
MIDI looper
Work with quantization or unquantized
Play on the pads or use external controllers
Touch strip for expression, live sequence transformations, note repeat, and more

Stay connected:

MIDI input/output and sync (via USB-C with computer, USB host, and MIDI DIN)
Analog sync (modular, analog gear)
DIN sync support (for vintage instruments like the TR-808)
USB host – with a built-in 4-port hub
Abeton Link support (USB wifi dongle required for wireless use)
Stereo audio in
Stereo audio out
Headphone, footswitch

Onboard sounds and room to grow:

Internal instruments and effects