Strymon Volante

hm yeah but how much do you modulate a delay via cv? you always can modulate it with your hands :slight_smile:

I think the biggest difference is the pitch / harmonize algo on the magneto. If I´m right you can´t do this on the volante, can´t you?

I´m thinking myself about swaping the Magneto for an Volante. But I recently got a mixing module so I would try some feedback patches with it. Let´s see.

I do it all the time subtly , you could do it with your fingers , but it really won’t have that sort of movement, which is up to you what you want to do

Here’s a demo video of Strymon’s Volante tag teaming with Twisted Electrons MEGAfm and dreadbox Nymphes to bring in a different flavor. Maybe you find it useful.

7 Likes

Is there a way to let the delay ring its feedback while letting the source play dry, like you’d do with a send into an effect on a mixing board?

That’s possible on the Doctor A and is great, when plugged directly behind a synth.

In other words, what happens when turning the pedal OFF, does it kill the delay?

If I understand this correctly (and I don’t know it for a fact), you’d have to switch to buffered bypass for this to happen - take this info with a grain of salt :cool:

2 Likes

Awesome! I’ve had the Volante for a year, and didn’t realize this was an option — thank you for the reminder to RTFM!

so it does work?

I was going to wait until after work to check, but now I couldn’t wait.

Buffered bypass is half of the answer — if you only enable buffered bypass, then bypassing will not clear out the current repeats, meaning the second you unbypass, the repeats from before will instantly continue.

To get what @amaury wants, you also have to set Spillover to “On” (manual says that enabling spillover will automatically enable buffered bypass).

With both enabled, I can bypass the pedal, let the repeats continue, and any new signal will be bypassed.

This is super cool, and I’m already thinking about how I’ll use it now! Thanks again!

3 Likes

5 Likes

Thanks for investigating !

But then, the dry signal doesn’t go through, when the pedal is bypassed?

Also, what I’m after is a pedal that does let the effect spill over when bypassed, but still offers an analog fry path. The Doctor A is amazing with that. Not available anymore unfortunately…

The dry signal will still go through — is that what you mean?

1 Like

“Analog dry path for a zero latency dry signal that is never converted to digital.”

1 Like

thank you for checking it out more thoroughly :wink:

2 Likes

Ah thanks, I mistook buffer bypass for buffered/converted bypass.

So, it seems that with buffered bypass and spillover enabled, I can get my dry signal, analog without conversion, always through and turn the pedal ON just when I want to send the signal to the pedal right? Did I get it right this time?? :wink:

Yes! And when you bypass the pedal, the repeats that started prior to bypassing will continue to ring out. It’s very nice!

2 Likes

Are you sure that the dry signal remains uncolored? In the manual, it does say “buffered bypass”, indeed.

1 Like

I tried to find more about what " buffered bypass". but the manual doesn’t really explain it, and google didn’t yield much for me.

Is the spillover giving infinite repeats when repeats is set to max (a.k.a. dubbing ;))

Yes, infinite repeats even after bypassing.

The manual clearly says “Analog dry path for a zero latency dry signal that is never converted to digital” and their signal flow diagrams clearly show the dry signal connected directly from input and summing with the effect at the output.

Buffered bypass, without spillover, means that bypassing the pedal mutes the repeats, but does not stop them. If you unbypass the pedal, you’ll hear your precious repeats again.

If it’s set to True Bypass — the second you bypass the pedal, all of the repeats are gone, and when you unbypass you’ll hear no repeats until you feed it new signal.

1 Like

Just noticed the “precious” repeats instead of “previous” repeats auto correct lol — still valid!

1 Like