Strymon Volante

Brilliant! Just what I was asking for. Thanks so much!

Now, I thought I didn’t need any gear but my M needs a friend…

The Volante seems able of a great range of subtle to obvious effect, delay and pseudo-reverb plus the spring.

Do you know of any alternative having that same analog dry and spillover bypass?

They are precious! Some tones :wink:

Haha, sometimes.

Very happy to say I got my hands on a Volante yesterday, here’s how it sounds with some modular noodling. Happy to hear any tips/tricks from experienced users out there!

2 Likes

Check the official videos and look for a preset named Crimson Sunset. Makes any pad sound huge.

For chorus like effects, you need to turn up echo level past noon and pan the delays left and right. Or try drum mode with increased rec level past 3 o’clock and spring reverb at noon - nicely saturated delays.

1 Like

Wondering if any Strymon Volante owners can chime in here.

I am trying to midi sync my unit to the rest of my setup, and it’s going bananas. I’ve tried running multiple midi clock masters/sources, tried cable swaps. I’m using dead simple setups (midi out from master to midi in of volante, no chains, no thru-loops, no usb midi)

The volante is in midi sync mode, and I’m using the 5pin din midi in port, no usb is attached.

Essentially it follows the bpm correctly most of the time, and will track as I change the bpm on the midi clock source, but then for a couple seconds every say 10-15 seconds it goes into hyperdrive as though it’s receiving 10000BPM clock.

If I’m playing audio through the volante, when it goes into overload, the wet audio just stops (or perhaps it’s there but the clock rate is so fast that the echo dissipates immediately?) then when it returns to following normal clock speed, the wet audio returns .

Video here to describe the issue - the hapax is the master, the syntakt and volante are both receiving clock from hapax, so you can see all 3 have a flashing led for clock/BPM.

Volante Video of Issue

I have the same issue using DT as master. I suspect that your theory is right - that the clock rate goes so high that the echo rings out immediately. High “Repeats” settings don’t seem to cause feedback, though, which is weird. I am using a dead simple setup, with only a MIDI cable going from DT to Volante, with “TRS MIDI Output” is set to off.

My goal is to, by sending CC#49 to Volante, start and stop recording in SOS mode to create loops synced to DT. So, I am not necessarily interested in syncing the tempo of the delay, which means I could potentially shut of MIDI sync. However, the behaviour got me wondering if the MIDI implementation on the Volante is buggy in general.

Any progress on finding the source of the behaviour? I have little suggestions, but I am wondering if Volante somehow receives CC#17 (time) or #82 (tap).

It is not uncommon for effects pedal to have a quirky MIDI implementation …

I must admit I haven’t played with my Volante in a while. But I experienced lots of issues and overload behaviour with the original firmware. After updating to the “latest” the glitches and overload/unresponsiveness I had experienced before were gone. Have you checked your firmware version? Never used to the SOS feature though TBH.

Yeah, I guess it is not top priority…

Thanks for the tip! That’ll be my next step in the troubleshooting process. However, the “10000 bpm” overload issue that @avlantis experienced mysteriously vanished for me last night. I set the DT Sync channel to 1 (same as Volante) instead of Auto. Syncing the SOS loop length to the DT sequencer was harder, though - there is a bit of drift. Another evening of troubleshooting instead of music-making ahead…

Hello! I’ve got my brand new Volante a couple of days ago. I’m on latest firmware.

I’ve experienced this thing after I have set in Power Up mode buffered bypass, no cut tails when turned off (you know what I mean, I just can not recall the OG name of setting) and kill dry on.

The problem was not present on factory banks, but my WIP bank tweaking gone nuts. I’ve reloaded the unit and the bug was gone.

After that I’ve practiced the half/normal/double SOS looper speed tweaking a bit and noticed that sometimes the pedal misunderstands the midi tempo. 5 DIN, master clock from DT, say 160 bpm, but in normal mode it flashes like (double speed) 320. Re-setting the toggles and pattern helped to fix this. Would be a big PITA if happens on stage while live-looping.

Otherwise jaw-dropping palette of sounds in this pedal, I plan to think out a workaround for this issue.
BTW, not sure if anyone has mentioned it here, but this is the only digital pedal where AD/DA latency is inaudible for me, when used in parallel.

Digginng the pedal, some more observations:

SOS looper sequenced from DT MIDI tracks works okay in my case. But setting it on and off and reverse and half the tempo brought artifacts to echo tails in the left channel. Re-loading the preset helped.

I’ve noticed that Volante restarts its clock halfway through the tick when ‘stop’ transport message is received. That seems odd at the moment, because it interrupts timing of echo tails. When transport on DT is turned off, pedal keeps the tempo, but the flashing tap light is not synced to the playing beat.

Hey,

Thanks for your responses about the weird timing speedup - helps to understand better.
I’ve decided to stop using the volante as it doesn’t quite meet my needs - here’s something I found out from speaking to Strymon -

The CC to control delay time doesn’t really work how you’d expect it to, as a clock divider/multiplier. The clock signal sets the delay time. Then if you mess with it by CC, the clock will just move it back after it picks up again. Unfortunately I was hoping to do a lot of half/double time sort of stuff (beyond what’s possible with the half/double switch alone), so yeh…

I am mostly interested in live improvisation, so it’s a little frustrating. That said, as a studio or set effect it sounds absolutely awesome.

Can you tell me exactly how you’re doing this? would love to start using my volante this way mid-performance! (the syncing the dt transport to SOS looper)

Hello! I guess you misunderstood my message, they are two separate and unconnected comments:

1. Volante delay sync reacts to incoming MIDI transport data in an odd way which warps (not fancy ‘warps’, but ‘corrupts in a poor way’) the timing of repeats. So I have turned transport send to off.

2. SOS looper is not syncable to MIDI transport data. I’ve just tested sending corresponding MIDI CCs from DT midi track to turn Volante record on and later off (and as I have said above - it works OK). But, I’m new to the pedal so I’m trying not to overcomplicate things, that’s why I prefer operating SOS looper manually at the moment.

2 Likes

thanks for your reply!

A couple of weird things I’ve came across:

1. You can tweak ‘Time’ in MIDI sync mode and the pedal looses MIDI tempo (super odd implementation, I’ve also got a ‘less premium’ Nux NDD-7 Echo (which massively overlaps Volante and, TBH, is a great pedal for its money) and its sync seems more logical: being synced to external MIDI clock, ‘Time’ encoder on NDD-7 does not affect anything).

2. Favorite preset works odd. I’ve prepared two presets for my live performance:

• a dotted note on a 3rd head + 3rd head feedback, even Spacing (saved in slot 1)
  • a triplet on 2nd head and 2nd head feedback, triplet Spacing (saved in slot 2)

So, fast ‘Favorite’ switching between them interrupts Spacing on the preset - I receive a dotted note on both presets. Switching via holding Fav button and choosing a preset manually from the slot works ok - preset 1 is dotted and preset 2 is a triplet.
Maybe, I’ve not fully understood the logic behind Favorite presets.

Anyway it would be nice if anybody can comment on any of the mentioned above issues.