Strymon Volante

Hot damn! Please report back on Deco into Volante.

I’d do it myself but I just spent three days cleaning, de-junking, reconfiguring and rewiring my studio.

If I see another 1/4” patch cable I’ll vomit.

3 Likes

Will do. The Volante isn’t available yet in Japan. I have preordered but, unfortunately, it won’t be here until March sometime.

This thing’s gaining traction in the back of my guitar playing delay obsessed mind… It has MIDI control, I have an Octatrack… :thinking: :smiley:

1 Like

I’m still trying to work out how to get 6 expression pedals into it thru midi.
Suggestions please.

Volante is causing me having GAS…Guitar Acquire Syndrome… Harley Benton HB35 or Epiphone SG G400… :thinking:

I fully support guitar buying. :wink:

I don’t know much about those particular guitars, but if it were me I’d probably go with the semi hollow. I need another semi hollow at some point. I stupidly sold a really nice one several years ago when I was moving.

Also, for me personally, I always buy guitars used. You can often find good deals that way.

1 Like

Those Harley Bentons are so inexpensive…the Behringer of guitars…no need to buy them second hand.

1 Like

It finally arrived. I’m hoping to spend some time with it this weekend. I think the lofi, reverse SoS will yield some great loops to sample with the DT.

8 Likes

Congrats!

I’m really wondering between this or a second hand Eventide TimeFactor… ? Hmm…

1 Like

between those, you should get better workmanship from Epiphone. Used those go for hardly anything.

Look forward to your reports, especially as a guitar player myself… I love delays. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Smashing! I’m looking forward to getting my hands on a Volante later in the year.

1 Like

I canceled my Order, after i discovered the Guitar Plugin fx from Ableton Live 10…

After playing with the Volante for a few hours last night, my first impression is that moving from the El Cap to the Volante is like going from the small box of crayons to the big box.

The El Cap is amazing in terms of instant gratification - it’s pretty hard to get a bad sound out of it. The range of the dials on the Volante on the other hand go from very subtle to slightly extreme so you have to have a bit more of an understanding of how things interact and show a little restraint or you can end up with something that makes you feel seasick.

I’m still wrapping my head around a few things (namely the relationships between feedback, the record heads and spacing), but I’ve already found loads of sounds I love that I wouldn’t be able to do with the El Cap. I’m also pretty sure that I’m going to want that new footswitch for looping.

One cool thing I discovered is that by enabling only the first record head you can get a repeat that is so fast that it is nearly on top of your original signal, plus the volume of the repeats can be set to be even louder than your original signal. What this means is that it ends up creating a really thick tone. Combining that with the drive knob, feedback, EQ, and even the reverb means that you can dial in some really neat thick gritty tones that I wouldn’t even associate with a delay pedal. I imagine it could be great for something like a Fender Rhodes or maybe a Moog.

I don’t think I’ve really even scratched the surface yet.

8 Likes

If the Volante is in midi sync, does the speed knob do subdivisions of the midi clock, or just overrule the midi clock? There doesn’t seem to be anything in the manual about subdivisions (maybe you just get them by pressing the 8 buttons).

1 Like

Mine arrived yesterday. Plugged it into the Prophet-6 first, then the OB-6.
With the mechanics, wear, lowcut and rec level all set to ZERO (basic clean echos), the dry audio is still true to the synths, but the echo is a bit colder (sounding like my Rev2). I compared to each synths onboard BBDelay effect and that was truer to the synth than the Volante was.
But once Rec level, Wear etc were introduced the echos started to bring in loads of character, and turning the Rec level up is brilliant for saturated overdrive, love it.
It’s perfect that they put Reverb in it, since some patches with Reverb in the synth lost character (and got switched off), but restored perfectly using the Volante’s Reverb.
On the Prophet Rev2 it’s a must for any patch that uses delay. I can definitely say it gives the Rev2 the grunt it lacks against the P6 and OB-6; in the echos.

I rarely use unison on the P6 for punchy Bass because it’s too clicky (they’ve got the grunt with just one OSC anyway!), but with double speed, min time, triplets and first head only, the Volante gets the thumbs up for a faux two voice unison.
Regarding the Deco, Volantes studio mode is of similar sound, but I feel like the Deco is still the double tracking winner by a nose, and closer to unison than Volante.
Up next, going to get deeper into multi head self oscillating rhythms. I wish they had separate speed control on each head for pitch control, but getting interesting results so far.

Tomorrow I’ll give it a whirl on guitar, but considering what Strymon already put on YouTube, I doubt I’ll come up with anything new. Though I’m looking forward to playing some heavy shoegaze with Volante on one channel and Timeline(dTape) on the another. Quadraphonic Delay mayhem ahead.

3 Likes

Is this a parameter accessible with MIDI? I know some things (like granular pitch control on the Mtl.Asm 856 to Zellersasn) are only accessible when you’re MIDI’d up…

Glad to hear you’re digging it.

The Speed switch can be, but it’s global and just the three speeds. Ideally I’d like the same pitch shift function as the Magneto, which is variable per head.

1 Like

My understanding is that midi sync will just set the Time knob on Volante.

From the manual,” MIDI Clock to sync the delay time ((Time knob)) with an external MIDI Clock source.”

So the Speed switch and Spacing knob will affect your midi clock value and spacing between repeats.

So ? Is it worth it ?
Sold my El Capistan to buy an Oto Bim. Awesome delay but i miss the El Cap and was thinking about the Volante for tape delay effect.