Stimming OT review

Good grief, that was the most annoying sh*t I’ve watched in along time.
And I have three kids.

16 Likes

Not to mention those dudes at Patchwerks will hook you up with 10% off due to Memorial Day. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

“Does not sound good” = “Does not sound how I want it to sound” .

Which is fair enough, but subjective, and must be taken in context, eg, dude plays in nightclubs.

5 Likes

What ?

Ya know, I didn’t realize it until now but you’re right. Heat MK1’s orange flame screen is really tying the room together, since I added Hydrasynth KB. The little orange encoder knob on the M:S helps too.

5 Likes

I think it’s time for some Pics in the Your Setups thread.

5 Likes

Thanks for posting that. I appreciate it everytime people post AB comparisons.

May have just found a reasonably priced AH second hand. Took quite a while of searching!

2 Likes

Because you live in Australia?

1 Like

Correctamundo.

1 Like

Patchwerks and Detroit Modular are always top notch!

3 Likes

For some reason it makes me die laughing at 03:46 when Stimming says, “But somehow I like my equipment to look shabby.” while making this face…

5 Likes

It’s always nice to watch videos like this from guys like Stimming who actually use their gear to create music.

4 Likes

“Okay and now it records!..And why doesn’t it record?”

yep

8 Likes

when he talks about parts and never using them…i get it. parts are kind of tricky to make work in a workflow. but at the very least completely mangling your sounds and then reloading a part as a nice homebase is very useful. i do this after every single song. I also make use of two more parts in a live setting but those are for very specific contexts.

3 Likes

The bit at the end was clearly a shameless plug about the convertors. I meanI know the filter being selected at default is supposed to have an effect but nah, you don’t that much analog bs. Just put it through an analog with filter feedback saturation like the minibrute, shameless plug. I did the same with the nord lead 2 and yes I would only play it through my minibrute filter as otherwise digital is by it self cold b/c it’s just a series of switches, and analog is a wave.

But playing back a sample I doubt an analog synth sample sounds worse being played back as I don’t notice myself, but I’m not a tuned ear, audiophile type. So I could be wrong.

I felt that for his characteristic erratic tangential style of presenting, the OT and it’s architecture might just be too complex. Its super fun with simpler instruments, but here the story got lost a bit. Or maybe I’m just too biased :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like Stimming and the way he does his reviews. Also like his music… I don’t think his “reviews” are planned to be like Sonicstate or Loopop, but rather for entertainment, at least that is how I watch them. I guess it is more improvised than scripted which I like, hence some confusion here and there, I have seen that in his other reviews.
To me it feels more human than e.g. the robot voice of loopop from the off… more informative but a little boring.

He does provide a nice overview of the device but it’s more his opinion than an objective review. I also think Stimming knows his shit pretty well, he has been using the OT for quite a long time. BTW, just saw there is a video of his last “live” show:

Stimming Youtube

2 Likes

Yes, and I also think that his new review format for the “modern classics” is not so much intended as an objective type of review like he would do for a new device, but rather as a more personal reflection on his experience and relationship with a machine.

5 Likes

More than anything, I want to hear his mastering gadget in action. A guy with those credentials and experience, taking the time to build his own hardware … let’s just say I expect nothing less than stellar, and it’s Stimming’s own fault for being so good at what he does :slight_smile:

3 Likes

What is he good at? Making highly subjective but inaccurate reviews? DAW’less livesets? :grinning: (no offense)

I like him. But I don’t think he is VERY good. I think most of us could do what he does when one had the passion to do it for a living / had the time to prepare and the right people around us.

Want to buy his mastering unit though.

3 Likes