Stereo - > mono

hello,

i’m really happy with my octa - it’s a great machine.

any idea how i can convert a stereo signal into a mono signal?

thanks.

andries

you need to clarify your question i think
internally the OT works with stereo samples even if you provide a mono one!
you can select various input jack configurations and that might help you along, or you could pan a track to force it through one out, maybe you want to combine the outs, that’d maybe be easiest with a cable as i don’t know of an internal solution, but i haven’t looked for that, so maybe there is, or there’s a neat workaround

thanks for your reply.

ok. i’ll try to explain what i want.

i want to use a kind of “mono” effect to a stereo track. and use it like any other effect with a trigger.

simplest way would be to pan the L R signals both to the middle - but i don’t know how to do that.

hope you understand what i mean.

thanks.

andries

you’ll need an OT expert for that one, but if you had a spare track, perhaps you could simultaneously hard pan the selected track and a neighbour track (other way) to kill the ‘width’ and return them both to centre with a scene, even then i’m not sure that would ‘combine’ the channels as you desire, probably a bogus suggestion - sounds like there ought to be an easy solution to this one, i’m still getting to grips with it myself

Encoder B in the Lofi page could be set up to kill the width, one day !

would be great if one of the experts had i simple solution, without using to many resources like new tracks etc.

and yes, i think it’s an easy feature for a programmer to implement this “panning to center” function - and it makes musically so much sense! especially in combination with the scenes and parameter locks.

thanks again.

Zou have the spatializer effect, with mid / side settings its settings page… turn on the mid side and turn down the side to zero to get a mono signal…

4 Likes

really, i looked at the manual and assumed that’d be the best place for that, but it seemed not, will investigate further !!

1 Like

cool, it can narrow a track, but it can’t be p-locked or edited without going into setup page and toggling the M/S dial - good call though !

1 Like

works fine - thanks a lot!

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: OT: create mono from stereo sample

I couldn’t find informations about this in the manual, exept for buffers.

If the loaded sample is longer than allowed by the buffer it will be truncated. Mono samples will also be converted to stereo.

I searched for mono in the pdf without luck.

not sure why I was so certain about that - for sure the tracks are stereo and the simplest way to test would be to consume the ram with two samples, one a mono version of stereo track to see if the usage is the same (it makes little sense when resources are scarce, but it wasn’t just speculation) …

although

Here’s what I found:

Which leads me to believe recorder buffers are alway saved as stereo but regular samples can be either…

The part about converting mono to stereo I think just has to do with this:

3 Likes

in the audio editor … under the edit menu
“mix channels”

3 Likes

Interesting, someone should definitely compare the RAM use of mono and stereo samples of identical length. I thought ALL samples were converted to stereo when they were loaded into RAM. If that’s not true and it’s possible to save RAM by loading mono samples instead of stereo when possible that would be great news.

I’d do it myself but I’m about to go out of town for a week.

Just made the test with a 12 mn mono sample. 65 Mo. FLEX.
Error message. I go to memory config to set reserve length.

And…IT WORKS ! :thup:

I thought it was converted to stereo too !
Not very clear in the manual.

2 Likes

Good to clear that up and it’s good news for preserving precious resources with samples imported into flex - recording will always be in stereo iirc, and I don’t recall seeing that you can discard a channel of the capture

1 Like

But as for a way to record a mono sample and it not be hard panned L or R there is now way, right?

Possible if you choose A, B, C or D, in REC SETUP. The recording will be stereo, with identical channels.

If you want to make a track mono :

You can record it with SRC3 internal recording.

1 Like

Hi everybody !

I would like to know if it is possible to transform stereo samples with the spatializer or with an other onboard tool ?

I would like to send different samples to only one out…
Thanks !