Channel subtract vs. stereo-to-mono

a trick question here:
is it possible in the OT audio editor to select and save just a region of a longer sample’s single channel? to be perefectly clear - i’m not after channel subtraction (as in isolating only the stuff that’s happening on one channel and getting rid of all that’s common to both channels) but rather using just the left or right channel of a recording, (as in convert stereo to dual mono and use on of those)
would that be possible using just the audio editor in the OT? without internal resampling? say by using a combination of phase invert and channel addition or subtraction? needless to say i totally suck at math / theory :wink:

any use ? Stereo - > mono

I don’t think that you can do this by manipulating just a single stereo sample in the Audio Editor.

You could do it by resampling playback of two samples, one of which has the unwanted channel’s signal phase-reversed.

Or you could send the sample out of the OT and then into one of the OT’s inputs and sample just one side of the input (which means D-A conversion and A-D conversion added to the signal route).

By then, you might just want to use a computer-based sample editor.

I think even with resampling, you always end up with a stereo file.
The OT will work mono files into the stereo-only tracks, but I doubt it’ll deal with making mono files internally

I don’t really care if it’s all stereo as long as I can get he contents of one channel on both;)
still though, you guys are positive only way I can do it is by internal resampling or by running a cable from ome of the outs to one of the ins?

i as hoping on a in-editor solution, because anything else, especially exporting and reimporting from a computer really messes up the flow of the work.

Until somebody proves me wrong, I am 100 % sure that it can’t be done within the Audio Editor.

You could ask Rusty to add this function to OctaEdit.

greetings. is there a lazy way to convert a stereo sample and choose L or R to be the sole channel used on both sides?
hoping to not have to resample through the spatializer or such. The audio editor doesn’t do it… or does it?
cheers!

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Stereo - > mono