Stereo Drive

Hello!

introducing: Stereo Drive.

it’s an upgrade for SDS Drop in form of an In-App purchase.

Stereo samples in the Rytm sound f*** amazing, but it’s tricky to work with them. Basically what you do is transfer 2 mono files, and then use 2 voices/tracks on the Rytm for each channel. And you have to apply all tweaks for a sound, and all changes to a track to the other sound/track. This gets old quick!

So SDS Drop aims to make this easier.

If you drag a stereo file to a pad, the app splits it up, sends both channels as individual files, loads them to the project, and keeps track of the 2 files and their stereo relationship in an internal database.

You can then drag from one pad to another to copy a sound and/or track to another pad. SDS Drop makes sure that the correct sample is used in both sounds, takes care of panning, p-locks and even sound locks so that stereo-based sounds are played back correctly in your pattern.

If you’ve never messed with stereo files in the Rytm… it sounds very good! here’s a quick demo of mangling a stereo loop for your enjoyment:

used STROM to tweak both mono tracks at the same time… helpful :grin:

it’s a single pattern, no FX, just looping this file, which was also sampled from Rytm:

35 Likes

Awesome :slight_smile:

1 Like

:open_mouth:

1 Like

As a beta tester I highly recommend this upgrade. Copying everything and arranging samples as well as p-locks with this is just a treat. Super simple and effective :thup:

4 Likes

Great work looking forward to it.

1 Like

Love your work @void :heart:

2 Likes

Woah, very cool! Thanks!

1 Like

You da man!!

1 Like

Holy shit! Well done, @void! You are a magician! That warm sample sound in the RYTM now in stereo?!

I feel much desire to get a RYTM more than before now!

I’m almost so certain I’m getting another RYTM that I’m inclined to go ahead and buy this upgrade

2 Likes

pure class void :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

Absolutely brilliant! Thanks so much!

1 Like

could this work with digitakt also?

hm, perhaps not necessarely? but recording in stereo with digitakt and in sync would be nice, not?

1 Like

right now, we know too little about Digitakt to confirm that it would work. As long as DT has SDS sample transfer, and sends/receives patterns via sysex, it would be doable! Need some hands-on time with a device :smile_cat:

4 Likes

So if I drag on a stereo sample, it automatically assigns to two pads? Then from there, tweaks I make on pad can then be drag dropped straight to another pad? Or does trigs/tweaks etc apply to both pads?

edit: or can both pads be tweaked in realtime?

1 Like

so right now, it works like this:
everything is the same as before, you just drag a sample to a pad.
but two samples are actually transferred and both get “-L” or “-R” appended to their name.

In the pad you dragged to, the left-channel sample is loaded (which results in the exact same behavior that has been in SDS Drop Fromm the start - mono files were always the left channel)

When the transfer is finished, you (option/shift)-drag from the pad you dropped the sample to, to another pad - when you do this, SDS Drop performs the stereo assignment.

let’s call the pads A -> B.

If you hold ⇧, sound A is copied to B.
A is hard panned left, B is hard panned right. B sample slot is set to the corresponding stereo pair sample.

If you hold ⌥, sequencer track A is copied to B.
P-locks on the sample slots are tested if they are a stereo sample, and changed accordingly on track B. If your pattern uses sounds from the sound pool which have stereo samples, it will also adapt these (but only if specific rules are met - details soon.)
And if you copy to a direct neighbor track, e.g. from BD to SD, all trig conditions in B are converted to NEI, so you can use probability trigs and it will still trigger both tracks in sync, so they sound like a perfect stereo track.

All of this works as long as the two corresponding L/R samples are in the project, so SDS Drop can find them in the internal database and see if/how they are related.

Right now, there are no realtime controls in SDS Drop. Personally, I’m using the control-all feature in STROM for that, since you can easily select two tracks there and tweak one to change both sounds…

But yeah looking forward to ideas for improvement once this is in your hands!! :smiley:

4 Likes

Awesome!

Man, Strom is a serious reason to buy an iPad. Perhaps a second hand one to get into the game. Can you recommend a minimum spec 2nd hand model?

Great work!!!

1 Like

the minimum to run STROM is an iPad 2. You can get these pretty cheap nowadays! However, I can’t say if future updates to STROM will still be available for that. Apple seem to be dropping 32bit devices. Could be that when iOS 11 comes out this fall, that’s the end of the line… but if you find a good deal for one, grab it. If all fails, you can still use it as a touchOSC controller.

I’d say get a 64bit armv8 one… a used iPad Air should be fine for several years, depending on what you want to do with it! http://blakespot.com/ios_device_specifications_grid.html

3 Likes

Cheers mate!

1 Like

10 Likes