Status update on Overbridge

“Sorry ladies, but not until I finish overbridge”

-The faithful devs at Elektron

Yea but you forget that they have been selling devices with hardware with this software for years now. Then they release a whole bunch of new stuff, say it’s coming shortly, and thus the debacle begins. Product is purchased on the promise that it’s coming quickly, features are promised that still have yet to be implemented. I bought mkii stuff on the promise that sometime in the near future it will be released. Now I’m sitting here with gear that doesn’t integrate and no eta. That’s a major blunder and people have the right to be upset about it without people being aggressive about invalidating their experience.

I didn’t forget anything, you’re right they’ve been selling hardware with OB for years & the same thing happened in the past… OB was coming but took forever…it’s cool if you didn’t know about it, but…yeah…this has already happened with them.

& you’re right people have the right to be upset & complain on a forum. Just as much as Elektron has the right to sell OB enabled boxes without OB.

Sorry to bother you…let the cycle continue…

Individual outs are a must when you own amazing effect pedals that put onboard effects to shame my friend try that shiet it’s tite

…shes right. A great way to get sounds to sit well together is to have seperate tracks. Thats proper mixing.

But not having them aint stopping you from making tunes tho. Unnecessary live. But very nice for a proper mix for release.

I think I know what you’re trying to say… you don’t have this issue with other companies… but most products have at least 1 issue, most companies use marketing to make their product look as amazing as possible & not just with music gear, it’s everywhere. & there are complaints all over every forum. But I’ve noticed that the products that offer the most features…get the most complaints on their forum, which I find hilarious. I wonder why?

Again, I’m not saying what Elektron did was right.

I’m not even talking about that. I’m talking about the people on the other side that are so upset. Sell your Elektron gear, learn a lesson & move on.

Or… keep it in the closet, complain on a forum & buy the next piece of gear Elektron sells. Whatever. Do you.

So…separating tracks on hardware isn’t as good as separating tracks in a DAW?

Just curious…I use individual outs, each with it’s own track on an analog mixer, each with it’s own effects. The mixer has eq & pan for each track (as well as a few other effects), plus my guitar pedals & effects processors & hardware compressor (which also has side chain) & Analog Heat.

I’m honestly curious… it’s better to use software? Or just cheaper & easier?

Dt and dn do no have individual outs and are relying on Overbridge for the functionality.

Individual outs would probably ultimately be preferable for most.

They don’t have individual outs AND they don’t have OB.

Dude said he wanted individual outs, another dude said it’s better to separate tracks. Individual outs…equals separate tracks…so I was curious if he’s saying it’s better to have separate tracks in a DAW or just cheaper & faster to have separate tracks in a DAW.

Actually I got that wrong. Tendingtropic said individual outs are over rated. But I prefer individual outs & don’t want OB. Is it over rated…or just too much work & money for some.

Yes, that is well known it’s not available yet.

Being able to track separate tracks at the same time for many musicians is essential for different aspects. Some people may find in overrated or not necessary. Everyone has a different workflow.

Analog summing is the way to go for me. I don’t need or want Overbridge 2.0
I’m lucky i only have the A4 mk2 AR mk2 and the Sidstation.

But the fact is after 4 years i will always be sceptic about Overbridge.

I even have the feeling that Elektron will make at some point soft synths or make Overbridge something like NI Maschine…

Well…seperating tracks from a single output is timing consuming. You can fuck up syncing stuff. You lose any kinda performance stuff you do.

But ya, for example, using a DT, you have one out. To break up the 8 tracks is FULLY doable. But, can be messy and leaves all kinds of room for error.

Just depends on how you approach your recording.

Explains why an S1000 has 8 outs, MD has 6 etc etc.
Just having one out doesnt stop you from doing anything. It does however make defining the kick from the snare, for example, less precise.

Depends on how much control you want.
For some it is essential. Others could care less.

If Tendingtropic is talking about a live situation separate out dont matter. But for a nice, mastered track, for cd/vinyl/dl sale…having the ability to have a track per sound makes mixing easier. Also much nicer if you want to add external FX.

I dunno how else to say it other than that.
If yer fine with out it…yer set!
I dont care either way. Id like it to at least pull the percs away from the synths. But im not losing sleep over it.

A choice would be nice for everyone. OverBridge and USB for separate outs if you want… or individual outs on the unit itself, like AR, A4, etc. I think some are just lamenting the lack of choice, especially since the long delay of even the USB/OB option.

Would have been very nice if the DT had say, at least 2 more assignable individual outs (like even the cheesy but lovable TR-8 has!), if not all 8 individual outs. Just some more options - not to be locked in to using USB/OB. All about a variety of workflows.

As it is, it feels strangely crippled when we have decades of machines with individual outs, not to mention Elektron’s past of supporting the movement towards all hardware setups. I know I would have bought a DT already if it had some more individual outs. I would gladly give Elektron my $. But that’s me and my workflow.

Not every individual producer understands other’s workflows, or cares. But, I do think it’s not too hard to use some imagination or creativity to think of other’s possible setups, workflows, and needs. But a manufacturer, you would think, would understand and anticipate different workflows.

But hey, I’ve given up trying to understand Elektron’s design decisions and sold my MD, A4, and AR. I’ll jump back in if they make something to my liking. I’m sure I’m not the only one. I still admire them for the bulk of their designs and creations. It’s not black and white, hate or love. People can be critical and still love Elektron for their overall history, contribution to electronic music, and future potential. Like agent Mulder, I want to believe!

Agree, so many people on forums asking about basic functions or things that the box was never intended to do and then complaining why they bought it.

Multiple outputs, whether hardware or software enabled via USB is a must for any professional-level sampler.

Funny. For as LONG as ive had my MD/MM…i think ive used only one of the alt outs on the MM. alt outs just eat up to many inputs on my I/O

And if yer running alt outs into a mixer only to sum it again…HAHAHA.

USB is cool tho!

what if you are running them into an SSL or Neve…nobody laughing

Meh

Less wires for me. I fucking HATE wires.

Again, playing live, or fun hands-on studio jams, using pedals, outboard fx, etc. Multiple outs rule baby. :grinning: